Single Parents Forum: Single Family Voices

Go Back   Single Parents Forum: Single Family Voices >
(``'·.¸(``'·.¸ Single Parenting - Through The Ages¸.·'´´)¸.·'´´)
> Babes, Children & Teens > Adolescence / Puberty: 14 - 18

Notices

Old 12-07-2015, 11:14 AM   #1
debwatkins
I am New

debwatkins is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What do you think of this?

Hello, I'm new to the forum I wanted to introduce myself quickly. I'm Deborah, 35 from London. I'm a single parent with 3 kids, 2 girls (5 & 16) and a boy (12).

The post was regarding my daughter Samantha (16) - a few months ago she told me about a music video she'd been asked to take part off (I've put the link at the bottom!). She's into her acting/performing arts so as a parent that supports my kids goals I thought why not.

After seeing the video I fell in love with song very catchy indeed! (Maybe I'm just bias because my daughter is in it ).

But, my only concern is the amount of times this song says 'drink' like we're only 16. Is that normal these days? Myself I started experimented with alcohol around that age so I kind of get it but I just find it maybe a bit much? Maybe I'm just old fashioned.

It just makes me wonder what my kids get up to when they're out with their friends/at sleepovers. How have other parents addressed drinking/sex/drugs with their children?

Listen to the song here because you might see where I'm coming from - or not!

The song is here: http://y2u.be/7slxVvpXMeI (Simba Shan - Sixteen)
debwatkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 11:15 AM   #2
debwatkins
I am New

debwatkins is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What do you think of this?

Not sure if this is in the right section, apologies if not to everyone!

I'm new to the forum I wanted to introduce myself quickly. I'm Deborah, 35 from London. I'm a single parent with 3 kids, 2 girls (5 & 16) and a boy (12).

The post was regarding my daughter Samantha (16) - a few months ago she told me about a music video she'd been asked to take part off (I've put the link at the bottom!). She's into her acting/performing arts so as a parent that supports my kids goals I thought why not.

After seeing the video I fell in love with song very catchy indeed! (Maybe I'm just bias because my daughter is in it ).

But, my only concern is the amount of times this song says 'drink' like we're only 16. Is that normal these days? Myself I started experimented with alcohol around that age so I kind of get it but I just find it maybe a bit much? Maybe I'm just old fashioned.

It just makes me wonder what my kids get up to when they're out with their friends/at sleepovers. How have other parents addressed drinking/sex/drugs with their children?

Listen to the song here because you might see where I'm coming from - or not!

The song is here: http://y2u.be/7slxVvpXMeI (Simba Shan - Sixteen)
debwatkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 08:41 PM   #3
bluewave
At A loss for Words - NOT!

bluewave Has a SFV Diamond Heart of Supportbluewave Has a SFV Diamond Heart of Supportbluewave Has a SFV Diamond Heart of Supportbluewave Has a SFV Diamond Heart of Supportbluewave Has a SFV Diamond Heart of Supportbluewave Has a SFV Diamond Heart of Supportbluewave Has a SFV Diamond Heart of Supportbluewave Has a SFV Diamond Heart of Supportbluewave Has a SFV Diamond Heart of Supportbluewave Has a SFV Diamond Heart of Supportbluewave Has a SFV Diamond Heart of Support
Default Re: What do you think of this?

Welcome debwatkins! I'll take a look at the video when I have more time, but just wanted to send out a quick response.

As for addressing drugs and alcohol, I haven't gotten to that just yet, my daughters are still very young (kindergarten/elementary), but my older one does know about "adult beverages" in a sense that I drink wine on occasion. This is definitely around the corner for me, so thank you for bringing it up!

My older daughter is, however, very interested in her developing body (slowly, but i think we're in the beginning stages in the upstairs department !!), so I've candidly spoken to her about how bodies change (got her a couple of age appropriate 'body books' and read them with her), and right now she thinks sex is totally gross, . But the fact that she is talking about it with me is a good thing, and it makes me happy that she feels safe enough to approach me and ask questions.

there are other parents on this board with teenagers, and whose children are grown up and out of the house--i hope they will come along and chime in with their experiences and advice.

hang in there! welcome again to SFV!
bluewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 09:46 AM   #4
MotherBoard
Making The Magic Happen
Mother Of The Board

MotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of Support

you state your very supportive of your daughter, so im guess you have asked her what she thinks... what did she say, what are her thoughts, and feeling about it. It maybe a segway to deeper conversations on boundaries with her and clarify some points on her boundaries.
https://www.facebook.com/soloParent
MotherBoard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 10:39 AM   #5
Dad1st4boys
Failure is not an Option.

Dad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of Support

I see what you mean. Call me old fashioned and a stick in the mud, but I don't feel that is an appropriate song or video for a young lady, or older person, to be in. It seems to be glamorizing drinking and sex.
I agree with Mother, this is a good chance to have a discussion about standards, expectations and morals.

The Only Easy Day was Yesterday. NavSpecWar

If it is Important to us we make it happen.......
If it's not, then we make excuses...
Dad1st4boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 12:43 PM   #6
MerryAnn
On the Board

MerryAnn is an unknown quantity at this point

I agree with the Mother, too.
MerryAnn is offline   Reply With Quote