Wild Dancing Thanksgivng Turkey single mom looking for colleges with single parent programs. - Single Parents Forum: Single Family Voices
All forums, topics and discussions are geared to single parents and the issues faced with single parenting.
Support a single parent today and one will support you back!

Go Back   Single Parents Forum: Single Family Voices >
(``'·.¸(``'·.¸ Tips, Tricks & Ideas ¸.·'´´)¸.·'´´)
> School & Work Life > Campus Single Parents

Notices

~ Donate Today ~ PLEASE

Old 01-06-2007, 01:34 AM   #1
babyjustin
I am New

babyjustin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default single mom looking for colleges with single parent programs.

Hello, my name is Tara (I'm 23) and I'm from an island in the South Pacific called American Samoa. I am currently going through a divorce, and raising my 2 year old son. I want to go to college in the States, particularly one that has a program for single parents. I have applied to Wilson College, which has a Women With Children Program (WWC), but I'm keeping my options open. Please help me, any info will be appreciated. Any colleges will be useful. Thank you!
babyjustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 01:23 AM   #2
Ashley1timemom
I am New

Ashley1timemom is an unknown quantity at this point

hi my name is Ashley iam 24 with a 9month old and i looking for schools with programs for single parents i keep and ear out for some and let you know what I find out!!!
Ashley1timemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 09:41 AM   #3
Trey's Daddy
Lively & Zealous Parent

Trey's Daddy is a jewel in the rough

The university that I work at offers some childcare for parents attending school. They have 2 different 4 hour sessions that parents can take their children to. They also have students that are studying child development and the such who will come to your home and watch your child in your house. The students normally charge between $5 and $8 an hour though. My university ALSO has childcare referral where childcare providers contact the school and the school keeps information on the childcares availability and charges. There is also government assistance for daycare that you can get information from. The requirements for childcare assistance are pretty steep, but if you are a full time student, you would probably qualify.....just something to look into.
"to be nobody-but-myself in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make me everybody else means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight, and never stop fighting..." --e.e. cummings
Trey's Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 06:00 PM   #4
Kian's Mommy
I am New

Kian's Mommy is an unknown quantity at this point

Kent State University in Kent, Ohio has a program for single parents, which includes housing, advising, help with benefits and a book scholarship. The program is called LIFE. Look into it, it's a great program. I'm not even involved in the program, I have friends who are, but the directors still help me out with things and want to help parents get an education.
Kian's Mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 06:29 PM   #5
daKat
I am New

daKat is an unknown quantity at this point

i am at a school for working professionals University of Maryland University College. It works for me and my son.
daKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 07:24 PM   #6
hi
Parent on Board

hi is an unknown quantity at this point

i've just been suffering through it. taking night classes, and moving tobi around so i can get through it. i keep telling myself that it is a short period of time and we are nearly there.

i would not be able to take any classes if it weren't for my family though.

I wish you the best of luck - sounds like the other people had some good suggestions!
hi is offline   Reply With Quote