Wild Dancing Thanksgivng Turkey Bedtime stories - Single Parents Forum: Single Family Voices
All forums, topics and discussions are geared to single parents and the issues faced with single parenting.
Support a single parent today and one will support you back!

Go Back   Single Parents Forum: Single Family Voices >
(``'·.¸(``'·.¸ Relationships¸.·'´´)¸.·'´´)
> Family Fun

~ Donate Today ~ PLEASE

Old 11-04-2013, 02:05 PM   #1
Krissi3 Female
Getting My Feet (Board) Wet

Krissi3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Bedtime stories

I have been reading to my children for awhile now but recently we started chapter books instead of just one kid book a night before bed.
They are 8 and 9 (almost both 9) and they still love reading with mom, thank goodness!

Right now i'm reading "Hank the Cowdog" with my son (9 years old) and he loves it!
He can definitely read on his own, in fact he's reading several levels above his age group but he still loves to snuggle in bed and listen to mom read. I do voices, explain words to him that he doesn't know, make sound effects....he loves it!

I need some book suggestions though!
Hank is going to end soon (although it is a series and there are plenty of books to choose from), and I would like to try something new to see what he thinks.

Any suggestions for 8-10 year old boys, silly and fun but still good clean reading?

Thanks!
Krissi3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 02:32 PM   #2
DaddyCakes Male
The Other White Meat!

DaddyCakes Is Rocken These Boards With SupportDaddyCakes Is Rocken These Boards With SupportDaddyCakes Is Rocken These Boards With SupportDaddyCakes Is Rocken These Boards With SupportDaddyCakes Is Rocken These Boards With SupportDaddyCakes Is Rocken These Boards With SupportDaddyCakes Is Rocken These Boards With SupportDaddyCakes Is Rocken These Boards With Support
Default Re: Bedtime stories

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krissi3 View Post
Any suggestions for 8-10 year old boys, silly and fun but still good clean reading?

Thanks!
My son is 8 and Loves the Captain Underpants series! It's easy reading and a bit silly.

Another possibility that mine also likes is the Diary of a Wimpy Kid series or even the Goosebumps series.
Old 11-04-2013, 03:21 PM   #3
Woodsimply Female
Thinks too much

Woodsimply Has Heart and Soul of an AngelWoodsimply Has Heart and Soul of an AngelWoodsimply Has Heart and Soul of an AngelWoodsimply Has Heart and Soul of an AngelWoodsimply Has Heart and Soul of an AngelWoodsimply Has Heart and Soul of an AngelWoodsimply Has Heart and Soul of an AngelWoodsimply Has Heart and Soul of an AngelWoodsimply Has Heart and Soul of an AngelWoodsimply Has Heart and Soul of an AngelWoodsimply Has Heart and Soul of an Angel

Tales of a fourth grade nothing

You cannot get an answer, if you do not ask the question. Say what you need to say.
~Just me
Woodsimply is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 03:42 PM   #4
Re-Mom Female
Mainiac

Re-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of Support

Diary of a whimpy kid

Best, Worst, Christmas Pagaent Ever

---------- Post added at 02:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:39 PM ----------

They might love if you read something like Harry Potter...too big for them but something they could totally get into if read to them.

Raul's Dahl is always a great author... the BFG mine all loved back then.

Call me if you need a delivery....

|^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||
|.........WINE TRUCK.........| ||'|";, ___.
|_..._..._______===|=||_|__|..., ] -)
"(@)'(@)"" "''"**|(@)(@)*****''(@)
Re-Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 05:04 PM   #5
cf829 Female
At A loss for Words - NOT!

cf829 Has Heart and Soul of an Angelcf829 Has Heart and Soul of an Angelcf829 Has Heart and Soul of an Angelcf829 Has Heart and Soul of an Angelcf829 Has Heart and Soul of an Angelcf829 Has Heart and Soul of an Angelcf829 Has Heart and Soul of an Angelcf829 Has Heart and Soul of an Angelcf829 Has Heart and Soul of an Angelcf829 Has Heart and Soul of an Angelcf829 Has Heart and Soul of an Angel

Harry Potter, Percy Jackson series by Rick Riordan (he also has an Egyptian series- the Kane Chronicles- great with classic mythology!).
cf829 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 05:10 PM   #6
Re-Mom Female
Mainiac

Re-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of Support

Roald Dahl. Ignore my autocorrect...automessitup is what it should be called. Amazingly, it let me type automessitup!

Call me if you need a delivery....

|^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||
|.........WINE TRUCK.........| ||'|";, ___.
|_..._..._______===|=||_|__|..., ] -)
"(@)'(@)"" "''"**|(@)(@)*****''(@)
Re-Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 07:00 PM   #7
bluewave Female
At A loss for Words - NOT!

bluewave Has a SFV Diamond Heart of Supportbluewave Has a SFV Diamond Heart of Supportbluewave Has a SFV Diamond Heart of Supportbluewave Has a SFV Diamond Heart of Supportbluewave Has a SFV Diamond Heart of Supportbluewave Has a SFV Diamond Heart of Supportbluewave Has a SFV Diamond Heart of Supportbluewave Has a SFV Diamond Heart of Supportbluewave Has a SFV Diamond Heart of Supportbluewave Has a SFV Diamond Heart of Supportbluewave Has a SFV Diamond Heart of Support

chronicles of Narnia, anything Beverly Cleary (Henry and Ramona, etc), Magic Treehouse series, or are they too old for that? xoxo!
bluewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 08:26 PM   #8
Krissi3 Female

Krissi3 is an unknown quantity at this point

I love that all the books and authors I was thinking of
Ronald Dahl, Harry Potter, Percy Jackson, Narnia...are all echoed here!

He reads most of these on his own (and I've read them all too...I LOVE HP and Percy Jackson) but it's way more fun to read them to him

Thanks everyone!
Krissi3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 06:45 PM   #9
Tropico Female

Tropico is an unknown quantity at this point

We've read all the Harry Potter books. Goosebumps books, a very dear friend of mine gave Miss 10 about 60 Goosebumps books at the start of the year, she also had the Magic Kitten books that we read together, Captain Underpants and Roald Dahl.

I've bought her the Inheritance Series but we're not starting those books until after we move. There are also books like Jurassic Park, Treasure Island, Journey To The Centre Of The Earth, these are all fun books.
Tropico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 11:37 AM   #10
SingleMom123 Female
Board Blazen Parent

SingleMom123 has a brilliant futureSingleMom123 has a brilliant futureSingleMom123 has a brilliant futureSingleMom123 has a brilliant future

I currently am totally hooked on the "Seekers" series by Erin Hunter (the series about bears). If your kids like animals then they would love Erin Hunter. I love Erin Hunter's books. Not sure if it may be too advanced for 8 year old, but they are considered "children's books". I like to read children's books myself, they are easy and fun to read, and totally addicting. I also really loved Erin Hunters "survivors" series (about dogs). The warriors series is also pretty good (about cats), but not as good as the others. My personal favorite is the one I am reading now about the bears. Can't put it down!!!

I also liked "The Unwanteds" series by Lisa McMann. That was really good too!

I read all the Harry Potter books too, LOVED them!!
SingleMom123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 10:00 PM   #11
Mariem444 Female
I am New

Mariem444 is an unknown quantity at this point

Aloha Krissi3,
I read to my son and then reads to my at night. The series "How to Train Your Dragon" is fun for that age and there 12 books right now. It's not overly hard and still funny for that age range.
Another fun series is "Creature from my closet" --sounds scary but it's not. I wouldn't allow my son to read anything scary.
Another idea;we go to the library-we listen to books on CDs in the car when we drive home from school. He live in a city where there is a lot of traffic so it takes a while to get home.
Take care & Aloha.
Mariem444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 10:53 PM   #12
BabyBlue Female
Board Member

BabyBlue has a brilliant futureBabyBlue has a brilliant futureBabyBlue has a brilliant future

I saw a lot of good suggestions here that Im going to look into as well

My boys are 6 and 8 years old, so I try to choose chapter books that they can both follow. They both like the IDEA of reading a scary Goosebumps book, but they get a little bored inbetween the "scary" parts..

As I saw mentioned already, The Magic Treehouse books ARE great. Both of my boys love them! Each book has the same 2 main characters and as the series progresses, so do the challenges (very gradually).

One of our favorite things to do is take a trip to a local thrift store every once in awhile and we each choose out 2 books. This way we can look at a variety of different books for a VERY reasonable price.
BabyBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 09:20 PM   #13
samnewlan Female
Board Member

samnewlan is an unknown quantity at this point

Reading books before bedtime is really fun even our child can read. It is our bonding time and we love reading books together. Sometimes DH and I are reading books to our children. DH is the one who read for our 8 year old DD and I'm the one who reads for our youngest.
samnewlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 11:26 AM   #14
talukdar Male
Banned For Spam

talukdar is an unknown quantity at this point

A happy family indeed, a very happy family I must say. Someone suggested Happy Potter. I think this is not bad, I grew up with harry potter and Harmony , they are just one year senior than me. I haven't read it but I watch the when they released. 9 year is enough I guess. when you are about to finish, they will be like 11 or 12 years old, or maybe more
talukdar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 11:46 AM   #15
SHig Female
I am New

SHig is an unknown quantity at this point

Harry Potter, Captain Underpants is always a funny one for boys, Michael Morpurgo, A Series of Unfortunate Events, Anthony Horowitz maybe?
SHig is offline   Reply With Quote