Wild Dancing Thanksgivng Turkey Can a child decide? - Single Parents Forum: Single Family Voices
All forums, topics and discussions are geared to single parents and the issues faced with single parenting.
Support a single parent today and one will support you back!

Go Back   Single Parents Forum: Single Family Voices >
(``'·.¸(``'·.¸ Single Parent Fathers ¸.·'´´)¸.·'´´)
> Single Fathers

~ Donate Today ~ PLEASE

Old 06-20-2017, 09:44 AM   #1
spacecoastdad Male
I am New

spacecoastdad is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Can a child decide?

G'morning.. well to make a long story short, I fought for custody of my 2 children, now 17&14. This was a couple years ago. I will try to make this short. She, against my wishes, pulled both children out of public school and put them in Florida virtual school. needless to say it was a total failure. She stopped even making sure they even attended classes and by the end of the school year they were 80+ lessons behind with straight F's. Needless to say, she out lawyered my lawyer and some how she was able to keep custody of the children then able to move out of state. Yeah Florida!!!

With that being said, my son is 17 now and going into the 11th grade. When I was 12 I was put in front of a judge and asked who I wanted to live with. Can child do the same now? If my son tells me he wants to live with me, do I have a leg to stand on to make this happen?

thank you..
spacecoastdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 01:30 PM   #2
spacecoastdad Male
I am New

spacecoastdad is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Can a child decide?

Not usre how to delete this. I posted it under the legal advice section. Please feel free to delete this post.
spacecoastdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 11:56 PM   #3
Joss Robbins Female
Learning to Surf The Board

Joss Robbins is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Can a child decide?

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacecoastdad View Post
G'morning.. well to make a long story short, I fought for custody of my 2 children, now 17&14. This was a couple years ago. I will try to make this short. She, against my wishes, pulled both children out of public school and put them in Florida virtual school. needless to say it was a total failure. She stopped even making sure they even attended classes and by the end of the school year they were 80+ lessons behind with straight F's. Needless to say, she out lawyered my lawyer and some how she was able to keep custody of the children then able to move out of state. Yeah Florida!!!

With that being said, my son is 17 now and going into the 11th grade. When I was 12 I was put in front of a judge and asked who I wanted to live with. Can child do the same now? If my son tells me he wants to live with me, do I have a leg to stand on to make this happen?

thank you..
Yes, that's what I have read regarding child's custody law. It was written that " even at age 16 a young person can usually decide which parent to live with if their parents are separated, and decide whether or when to visit the other parent"
Joss Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote