Wild Dancing Thanksgivng Turkey state assistance - Single Parents Forum: Single Family Voices
All forums, topics and discussions are geared to single parents and the issues faced with single parenting.
Support a single parent today and one will support you back!

Go Back   Single Parents Forum: Single Family Voices >
(``'·.¸(``'·.¸ Single Parenting - Through The Ages¸.·'´´)¸.·'´´)
> Child Care

~ Donate Today ~ PLEASE

Old 01-08-2005, 07:27 PM   #1
OrianaMamma
Board Member

OrianaMamma is an unknown quantity at this point

I just found out this week that I am not eligible for childcare assistance because I "make too much money." I'm a single parent, I don't receive child support, and I work 40 hours a week making 8 dollars an hour. I pay $700 a month for daycare and have very little money left to pay the rest of my bills. Any helpful suggestions?
OrianaMamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2005, 07:50 PM   #2
stephanieanne
Parent on Board

stephanieanne is an unknown quantity at this point

That seems way out of line! I make 9.35 an hour, 40 hours a week also, and the program we have here in Colorado pays the bulk, I only pay 77.00 per month (2 daughters, after school care) during school, and 144.00 per month in the summer...

You went through your local welfare office? That just doesn't seem right!

Anyone from Missouri with suggestions? OrianaMamma needs our help in finding the right resources!
stephanieanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2005, 08:43 PM   #3
kiermeg
Board Member

kiermeg is an unknown quantity at this point

Actually, unfortunately Orianamamma's right. In Missouri, the maximum allowed income for daycare assistance is set really, really low. In fact, for the past three summers I worked as a landscaper (I was a full-time student during the school year). I was paid $7/hr, have one child, receive $382/mo child support, and daycare is $650/month.

I was told by my caseworker that I "made too much money and should try to find a job that paid less or take off one day every week in order to qualify." I replied, "less, than $7/hr??" So, I took a couple days off a week for 2 weeks, brought in a short paycheck, and qualified for daycare assistance. Yes, it was dishonest, but I didn't know what else to do...I couldn't live on even less than $7/hr and I couldn't afford daycare otherwise. It worked and allowed me to receive it long enough to finish my degree.

Each state varies in how much state funding it allocates to social service programs to supplement the federal funding. Missouri just happens to be pretty crappy as far as that goes. It's too bad that our society doesn't make sure affordable, quality childcare is a priority.
kiermeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2005, 09:16 PM   #4
OrianaMamma
Board Member

I actually went through the Division of Family Services, they told me that the limit to qualify was $1199 per month, I make about $150 more than that. How is a single parent supposed to provide for her child with that kind of income?
Old 01-09-2005, 01:00 PM   #5
commander leftover Female
Board Beacon Parent

commander leftover is an unknown quantity at this point

If you purchace a small medical insurance policy will that bump your income down? That worked for me in MN..
commander leftover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 01:40 PM   #6
Don Male
At A loss for Words - NOT!

Don will become famous soon enough

Dishonest?
I feel if such little things will make the difference in qualifying or not, than why not "meet the qualifications" .
Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 02:13 PM   #7
stephanieanne
Parent on Board

I agree...what is so sad, is that when we are just trying to get a "hand-up" so that we may one day be completely off the state/county "rolls," they make us more dependant on their assistance, with little (or very far in the future) chance of becoming independant of said assistance.

I also do not see it as being dishonest; I see it as survival.
Old 01-10-2005, 12:27 AM   #8
Tucson Superwoman
Board Blazen Parent

Tucson Superwoman is an unknown quantity at this point

Well OM, sometimes you have to work the system, a lot of us have done it-including myself. I totally agree with Don, and StephanieAnne. It's not that we want to "get something for nothing" but sometimes the Gov. agencies make it hard for one to get ahead. The more I work to be able to pay things off, the less benefits I get, so if I take a second job it has to be under the table, because if not-why kil yourself working like a slave when you could pretty much get the same with what you have? Especially when absent parents are out there living the life of Riley?
As far as child care goes, I have to deal with them too. The child care agency here in AZ is ina crisis, I will be glad when my little one goes to school next year so I don't have to worry so much about child care!
Tucson Superwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 02:11 AM   #9
OrianaMamma
Board Member

I just don't know how to work this out, if I take less hours at work I also take a dollar per hour pay cut, and will still barely be making it, if I get a different job making less I'm in the same boat and then if I wouold get a raise not be eligible anymore. The medical benefits I can pay for through work will not be enough to make me eligible, and even if they were I can't afford it, I have medicaid right now. I'm just so stressed right now. I want to get a better paying job, but I don't know where to look. Most places aren't hiring right now.
Old 01-16-2005, 09:06 AM   #10
stephanieanne
Parent on Board

Have you checked with the day care facility to see if they might have scholorships available that you could apply for? Or your local church, or maybe the school's family counselor (or someone there!) might have a suggestion as to what you can do, or whom you might go to for assistance??

Just grasping at loose ends here....