Wild Dancing Thanksgivng Turkey Suggestions on finding a good sitter - Single Parents Forum: Single Family Voices
All forums, topics and discussions are geared to single parents and the issues faced with single parenting.
Support a single parent today and one will support you back!

Go Back   Single Parents Forum: Single Family Voices >
(``'·.¸(``'·.¸ Single Parenting - Through The Ages¸.·'´´)¸.·'´´)
> Child Care

~ Donate Today ~ PLEASE

Old 04-05-2005, 10:53 PM   #1
Hartrose
Learning to Surf The Board

Hartrose is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Group
I am a single mom to four little boys from time to time i need a break and need some help finding a good sitter. Any suggestions? Safety issues? the boys are 13, 11, 6 and 5. I appreciate ur help..
Hartrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005, 10:53 PM   #2
Hartrose
Learning to Surf The Board

Hartrose is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Group
I am a single mom to four little boys from time to time i need a break and need some help finding a good sitter. Any suggestions? Safety issues? the boys are 13, 11, 6 and 5. I appreciate ur help..
Hartrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005, 11:11 AM   #3
Lisa R
Board Member

Lisa R is an unknown quantity at this point

When I was 12, I was babysitting around town, and one of the families had 3 boys... is there any reason your 13 year old can't do it?

If you're looking for someone to watch the younger ones when your older two are busy, I'd try the local middle school - the guidance office sometimes knows of kids who babysit, and if not they're probably willing to post a notice. Other options are, if your son is involved in activities, using that resource - my daughter's half-sister was 12 when she was born, and I know every kid on her soccer team that babysits.

As for safety issues, some people insist that their babysitters have taken a certification course (often offered through middle schools, girl scouts, or boys & girls' clubs)... I don't, but if that's important to you, then I'd check with those places to see if they have a list of kids from the most recent class.
Old 04-06-2005, 12:30 PM   #4
Seraphin
Board Blazen Parent

Seraphin is an unknown quantity at this point

Most high schools and colleges have a board you can post for sitters. You can do like Lisa said and insist the sitter have CPR training and a licence. (For me a licence is important, if there is an emergency where they need to drive somewhere) Put your requirements on the poster and cut those little strips at the bottom for your phone number. If you are uncomfortable giving out your phone number, you can rent a voice mail box for about $8 for a month that people can leave messages and you can return their calls if you are interested. You should find a sitter in no time.
Old 04-06-2005, 03:24 PM   #5
Lisa R
Board Member

Lisa R is an unknown quantity at this point

That's a good point with a license. I'm not sure I'd want a sitter to drive anywhere in an emergency anyhow - I'd want them to call 911 or call me, depending on how serious. For when I can't be reached (at a movie or play, where the cell phone is turned off) I leave several emergency numbers posted on the refridgerator - police, fire, pediatrician, grandparents, aunt. I found that adding school and daycare numbers to the list, and a couple of others, made it really convenient for ME, too, when I needed a number.
Old 04-06-2005, 04:28 PM   #6
Dew
Setting New Standards

Dew is an unknown quantity at this point

I was lucky, one of my babysitters is the girlfriend of one of my younger colleagues, and the other is the friend of the friend of the son of my neighbour.
All I mean to say is, I like the feeling of not getting the babysitter 'of the shelf', but rather that they're somehow connected.
And after that it's a question of trust and feeling anyways. They come the first time for 1 or 2 hours and just stay and play with my child, that way they get to know each other and I get to know the babysitter. And that forces me to go out about once a month too, or my son will not even remember them well enough to want to stay with them.
I would suggest to let your older ones sleep over at friends', that way the babysitter has only the 2 little ones. 4 kids, especially the 2 teenagers can be hard to control for a babysitter (who might be in her/his twenties or less herself/himself). Just an idea.

Oh, and I do believe a 14 year old can be a good babysitter for a small child for example...but I do understand if you don't leave them all alone under the oldest responsibility, that's way to much responsibility (3 kids, including 1 almost his age anyways who will certainly not accept the authority).
But that of course is just my opinion based on my experience of a family with 4 kids also, similar ages. Never could I imagine leaving the oldest to babysit the rest, it just would not work.