Wild Dancing Thanksgivng Turkey Home remedies for my sick son - Single Parents Forum: Single Family Voices
All forums, topics and discussions are geared to single parents and the issues faced with single parenting.
Support a single parent today and one will support you back!

Go Back   Single Parents Forum: Single Family Voices >
(``'·.¸(``'·.¸ Single Parenting - Through The Ages¸.·'´´)¸.·'´´)
> Child Care

~ Donate Today ~ PLEASE

Old 03-01-2005, 11:25 PM   #1
liftbridge guy
On the Board

liftbridge guy is an unknown quantity at this point

I was wondering if anyone knows of a good home remedie for my son who has a very bad chest cough but shows no sign of a fever,runny nose or discoloured flem. I had him at the doctors but he will not give my son anything to help the cough as he says its bronchitis and he'll get over it. My son is constantly complaining of a sore throat because of all the coughing and all I have been giving him is some green tea with honey and lemon. Aparently cough syrup is not good for him because it suppress's the cough and the doctor told me not to give him any because of that reason.

Any help would be appreciated.

Big Dave
liftbridge guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005, 11:35 PM   #2
Seraphin
Board Blazen Parent

Seraphin is an unknown quantity at this point

don't suppress that cough, as bad as it is for him, it will make him better if he can cough. As for home remedies, a humidifier might help his throat and his lungs too. Or run a hot bath and put him in the bathroom for 20 minutes. Also, explain to him that he needs to cough. If he knows that its helping him, not just hurting him, he may be calmer.
Seraphin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005, 09:40 AM   #3
PITA
Setting New Standards

PITA is an unknown quantity at this point

I agree with sera and the doc. I would also say that lots of water is necessary for the body to fight well and to loosen up te membranes. I swear by humidifiers as our house is very dry, does he have a sore throat mainly in the morning? That is how I guage if the house is too dry or not. I also like Zicam for kids. It is homeopathic and you can get it in swabs that go right in the base of the nose, a throat spray or tablet. I would not be very good at describing it but if you google it, you may find more info.
PITA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005, 11:11 AM   #4
liftbridge guy
On the Board

liftbridge guy is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the info folks, I did try some cammille tea that I got from the health food store and my son really liked it and it did help as he did not cough at all last night and this morning was not complaining of a sore throat. I do have a humidifer/mister that I bought for him to help with the nose bleeds that he was getting from the dryness in the house and it has helped so hopefully he's on the road back.

BD
liftbridge guy is offline   Reply With Quote