Wild Dancing Thanksgivng Turkey Feeling like a horrible mom - Single Parents Forum: Single Family Voices
All forums, topics and discussions are geared to single parents and the issues faced with single parenting.
Support a single parent today and one will support you back!

Go Back   Single Parents Forum: Single Family Voices >
(``'·.¸(``'·.¸ Single Parenting - Through The Ages¸.·'´´)¸.·'´´)
> Child Care

~ Donate Today ~ PLEASE

Old 01-18-2011, 06:46 PM   #1
LorieBnfL Female
Board Member

LorieBnfL is an unknown quantity at this point
sorry Feeling like a horrible mom

I recently split up with my son's father for many reasons. He wasnt good for or to the kids or myself. I had to put the kids in R Club, a befor and after care program at school.
my issue is that i have to wake them up at 5 30 , 5 45 am to drop them off at 6 30am.
They love R Club because of the kids and fun they have there but they hate getting up sooo early! Understandable, I hate it too!!!
I have to be at work at 7am so I cant bring the any later then that. Ive had this job for 5 years now & in this economy it would be really risky leaving it.
Am I a bad mom for doing this to them?
They did nothing but complain that The "EX" was bad to them, and they didnt want him around when he was there but of course kids dont seem to remember the bad things when he is bringing over McDonalds and puppys every other week now!!! The say If he came home they would not have to get up early anymore. ( BTW "they" are 10, 7 and 6 y.o.) I know they arent mature enough to understand what they are asking for but It doesnt help my feelings of guilt.
any advice?
LorieBnfL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 06:52 PM   #2
Re-Mom Female
Mainiac

Re-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of Support
Default Re: Feeling like a horrible mom

UGH I went through this when I first had t put mine into before/afterschool care when we lived in MA. Honestly, it was all fine. SO many other kids are there, have you asked them or discussed that? I bet they all hate waking early, as do the teachers. And guess what, if dad came home they would miss all the great stuff there and have to live thruogh all that other miserable stuff still.

I don't have wonderful advice for you except to keep on keeping on with what you are doing;. Our job isn't always fun and we are often the bad guy, but it sounds like you have a great/steady job and in this economy that is something to be very thankful for.

Keep on reminding them what you working gives them. Food, clothing, shelter, and I bet a whole lot of other things, toys, special snacks, outtings... etc.

Dad is now nothing but fun-guy. he doesnt' have to take care of them while working, do homework, get them to dr. appts, tell them they need their shots, etc. It sucks but as they get older they become much more understanding of the situation and once in awhile actually show a tad bit of thankfulness for our badguy characters

One thing not to do is make changes to appease the kids. They are much more difficult to reverse when you realize you can't get another job, you've lost your spot in teh R-Care program, etc. etc. STICK WITH IT!
Re-Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 06:54 PM   #3
LSL Female
The blunt one;)

LSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support Legend

It's life...... kids are always going to complain. I had to get up and have my daughter at the before/after care at 6:45 am when I was working and going to school...... It's life and the sooner they find that out, the better off they are. They are with friends, doing activities. what would they being doing at home? Being aggravated by a guy they didn't like to begin with..... or saying, "I'm bored." The fact is that we can't all be stay at home mom's. You are doing your best and teaching them that sometimes a family has to ALL sacrafice, even if it sucks, but that is what families do.

---------- Post added at 02:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:53 PM ----------

Oh, and for the 10 year old, it's preparing them for middle school! LOL. My daughter gets up early now to catch the bus, or if I take her, to do homework club.... Life.......
Old 01-18-2011, 07:23 PM   #4
Re-Mom Female
Mainiac

Re-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of Support

LSL I was going to mention that. The middle school bus arrives at 7a.m. She's getting up at about 6:15 unless she doesn't shower the night before and wants to shower in the morning. Another year and we'll always be getting up at 5:30 -- especially next year with 3 going, EWWW.
Re-Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 07:43 PM   #5
idig Female
SFV JUNKIE!!!

idig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legend

Guilt always goes with being a mom period. The others are right, they will adjust, and they will complain no matter what. Just remember, if they pick up that you feel bad about it then they will think it must be bad if you feel guilty and on and on the cycle will go. Just tell them it was it is and you are going to have to make the best of it. Then come cry to us when you feel bad
Old 01-19-2011, 12:34 AM   #6
Mama Swan Female
Tree hugger at heart

Mama Swan Has Heart and Soul of an AngelMama Swan Has Heart and Soul of an AngelMama Swan Has Heart and Soul of an AngelMama Swan Has Heart and Soul of an AngelMama Swan Has Heart and Soul of an AngelMama Swan Has Heart and Soul of an AngelMama Swan Has Heart and Soul of an AngelMama Swan Has Heart and Soul of an AngelMama Swan Has Heart and Soul of an AngelMama Swan Has Heart and Soul of an AngelMama Swan Has Heart and Soul of an Angel

Agreed. It stinks feeling guilty about the negative changes that occur as a result of a separation from the spouse, but the trade-off is SO worth it for all of you.
And yeah, he's being the fun parent now, and that just adds to how you're feeling- but in the long run, you are the parent who has done what you had to for your family to be healthy.
Mama Swan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 03:39 AM   #7
gem20kbb Female
Board Blazen Parent

gem20kbb has a reputation beyond reputegem20kbb has a reputation beyond reputegem20kbb has a reputation beyond reputegem20kbb has a reputation beyond reputegem20kbb has a reputation beyond reputegem20kbb has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Re-Mom View Post
UGH I went through this when I first had t put mine into before/afterschool care when we lived in MA. Honestly, it was all fine. SO many other kids are there, have you asked them or discussed that? I bet they all hate waking early, as do the teachers. And guess what, if dad came home they would miss all the great stuff there and have to live thruogh all that other miserable stuff still.

I don't have wonderful advice for you except to keep on keeping on with what you are doing;. Our job isn't always fun and we are often the bad guy, but it sounds like you have a great/steady job and in this economy that is something to be very thankful for.

Keep on reminding them what you working gives them. Food, clothing, shelter, and I bet a whole lot of other things, toys, special snacks, outtings... etc.

Dad is now nothing but fun-guy. he doesnt' have to take care of them while working, do homework, get them to dr. appts, tell them they need their shots, etc. It sucks but as they get older they become much more understanding of the situation and once in awhile actually show a tad bit of thankfulness for our badguy characters

One thing not to do is make changes to appease the kids. They are much more difficult to reverse when you realize you can't get another job, you've lost your spot in teh R-Care program, etc. etc. STICK WITH IT!
you took the words right outta my mouth, well said!
gem20kbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 04:44 AM   #8
acraisydaisy
Parent on Board

acraisydaisy is an unknown quantity at this point

I agree with the others. I have slipped into doing things in the reverse to appease my kids because of guilt and it just backfires badly. Because then they have the ability to use a guilt trip on you...mine are older and my oldest son is the middle child...he is almost 14. He is sharp as a tack and has no qualms on speaking his mind about somethings that bug him if I change and get wishy washy. It is hard and the guilt is heavy. My oldest is 16 and it is nice because she now understands alot more and sees things through older eyes and realizes my choices better and better all the time. Life is hard, no use sugar coating it. It will only get harder too with how the economy is and how fast paced society has become. No one else out there will stop and give breaks....our kids need to beable to be strong. It sounds like you are doing your best and you need to just pat yourself on the back....you are accomplishing what is necessary to raise some awesome kids
acraisydaisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 06:40 AM   #9
Jamie's_Mum Female
English & proud

Jamie's_Mum has a reputation beyond reputeJamie's_Mum has a reputation beyond reputeJamie's_Mum has a reputation beyond reputeJamie's_Mum has a reputation beyond reputeJamie's_Mum has a reputation beyond reputeJamie's_Mum has a reputation beyond repute

Im sure the kids will adjust, its just one of those things, you gotta do what you gotta do.
Old 01-19-2011, 06:43 PM   #10
LorieBnfL Female
Board Member

LorieBnfL is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you for all the great advice!!!!
LorieBnfL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 06:51 PM   #11
alexmichele07 Female
Sparkles & Glitter

alexmichele07 Is Rocken These Boards With Supportalexmichele07 Is Rocken These Boards With Supportalexmichele07 Is Rocken These Boards With Supportalexmichele07 Is Rocken These Boards With Supportalexmichele07 Is Rocken These Boards With Supportalexmichele07 Is Rocken These Boards With Supportalexmichele07 Is Rocken These Boards With Supportalexmichele07 Is Rocken These Boards With Supportalexmichele07 Is Rocken These Boards With Supportalexmichele07 Is Rocken These Boards With Supportalexmichele07 Is Rocken These Boards With Support

Just make sure you're putting them in bed early enough - they should be getting 9-10 hours of sleep a night.
alexmichele07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 09:35 PM   #12
momofTDR Female
Marja

momofTDR Is Rocken These Boards With SupportmomofTDR Is Rocken These Boards With SupportmomofTDR Is Rocken These Boards With SupportmomofTDR Is Rocken These Boards With SupportmomofTDR Is Rocken These Boards With SupportmomofTDR Is Rocken These Boards With SupportmomofTDR Is Rocken These Boards With SupportmomofTDR Is Rocken These Boards With SupportmomofTDR Is Rocken These Boards With SupportmomofTDR Is Rocken These Boards With SupportmomofTDR Is Rocken These Boards With Support

good advice has already been given....I'm discovering though, for my kids that they need closer to 11 or 11 1/2 hours of sleep....which really cuts our evenings short, but otherwise they are inattentive in school.
momofTDR is offline   Reply With Quote