Wild Dancing Thanksgivng Turkey Infant going to Day care:( - Single Parents Forum: Single Family Voices
All forums, topics and discussions are geared to single parents and the issues faced with single parenting.
Support a single parent today and one will support you back!

Go Back   Single Parents Forum: Single Family Voices >
(``'·.¸(``'·.¸ Single Parenting - Through The Ages¸.·'´´)¸.·'´´)
> Child Care

~ Donate Today ~ PLEASE

Old 02-26-2005, 09:04 PM   #1
J3pt44
Parent on Board

J3pt44 is an unknown quantity at this point

How do I prepare my 2 1/2 old daughter for family day care. She loves to be held, and I know they do not have all day to hold her?
J3pt44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005, 01:40 PM   #2
stressedmommy03
I am New

stressedmommy03 is an unknown quantity at this point

I was scared at first when I took my daughter to daycare for the first time but to my suprise she ajusted quickley. They can't hold her all day but they will as much as they can. Once she realizes there are other kids she will like it much better.
stressedmommy03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005, 03:06 PM   #3
Dew
Setting New Standards

Dew is an unknown quantity at this point

I can talk from our experience only.

My boy has been going to day care for 6 months now. He's the same age as your girl.

He's not terribly sociable, it takes him a while to get to know people and to talk and interact with them, so he's not the perfect subject for this social environment.
But he has loved the lady he stays with from day one. I couldn't believe it but he has not cryied once when I leave him there. Actually, he often doesn't want to stop playing when I come pick him up.
What's important though is:
-explain to her repeatedly what is going to change, and why
-get the name of the lady, so she has someone to focus on, there is always one lady assigned to x kids
-respect the rules of the 'adaptation period', for example: go there with her, stay for an hour, next day the same, next day you go and leave her for a couple of hours, next day til after lunch, next day you include the nap...whatever the day care proposes, make sure the transition is smooth and she feels comfortable. If she does cry at some point, don't give in and stay..go away and call the day care 5 minutes later to check.

-and last but not least, YOU must be comfortable with the new situation or she will feel it.

No, it won't be like at home, but 2.5 is the perfect age to start having a social life outside of home, I think.
Old 03-08-2005, 05:19 PM   #4
J3pt44
Parent on Board

Okay, I found a great lady to take care of my daughter.....i made a boo-boo; she is 2 1/2 months old. But this lady is awesome and takes really good care of infants; she will read to my daughter twice a day and play with her on the floor and let her have quiet time to play by herself. She will hold her during feedings. I think this lady is great and she gave me a discount on the price per week cuz she knows i am broke. and she is a five minute walk from my house. I think Cierra will enjoy this lady, i feel really comfortable leaving her with her while i am at work. This other lady i interviewed wanted to leave Cierra in her car seat all day, even during feedings. i just knew that wasn't right for Cierra. She is only 2 1/2 months at the time she goes and she is already very sociable with people. So her sitting in a car seat all day would not be beneficial to her.
Old 03-09-2005, 12:23 PM   #5
J3pt44
Parent on Board

thanks, i thought it was pretty bad too.
Old 03-09-2005, 12:43 PM   #6
Dew
Setting New Standards

I'm sorry...I got the age of your daughter wrong , I actually thought you were talking about a 'big sis' (ref. your pics).
Yes, 2.5 months is little (mine is 2.5 YEARS old), but I believe it can be harder on the mother than on the baby. Regarding leaving her in the car seat...there is a huge difference between what they tell you and what they actually do...which isn't always for the worst. But it's worth arriving early to pick up baby once or twice to actually check on everything.
Old 03-09-2005, 12:49 PM   #7
J3pt44
Parent on Board

I went to the lady's house with Cierra a week ago around 10am so I got to see the kids and the whole enviornment and how they interact with her. The 10month old baby just keep staring at her and smiling everytime she spoke so that made me feel really comfortable.

And Cierra liked her as well, i could tell by the way she was looking at her and smiling.
Old 03-09-2005, 12:56 PM   #8
Dew
Setting New Standards

BTW, I still think the things I said above are valid, including the 'explaining to her what will change'. No, she won't understand, but it might help you, when you re-iterate it, and go into the details of her new daily routine. And she CAN feel if you are comfortable with leaving her at the lady's home or not.
Still, it's very hard on you I think and you have great courage.

(I can't believe I have reached the 1000 posts mark !!)
Old 03-09-2005, 02:24 PM   #9
J3pt44
Parent on Board

congrats on 1000!!!!!!!!!!!!

thanks for the advice
Old 04-28-2005, 03:50 PM   #10
Kidsk3
Learning to Surf The Board

Kidsk3 is an unknown quantity at this point

I had a live in sitter for a little while. It worked great until she got addicted to Attivan(dont think that is spelled right).Then used daycare after that and it works great except that my kids keep getting sick.I think they keep getting sick from being at their dads though, He doesnt make them take a nap and doesnt feed them healthy foods when their there,not made to wash their hands, not given vitamins etc,etc.
Kidsk3 is offline   Reply With Quote