Wild Dancing Thanksgivng Turkey Idea for childcare exchange - Single Parents Forum: Single Family Voices
All forums, topics and discussions are geared to single parents and the issues faced with single parenting.
Support a single parent today and one will support you back!

Go Back   Single Parents Forum: Single Family Voices >
(``'·.¸(``'·.¸ Single Parenting - Through The Ages¸.·'´´)¸.·'´´)
> Child Care

~ Donate Today ~ PLEASE

Old 09-20-2004, 07:09 PM   #1
mother of4and3
I am New

mother of4and3 is an unknown quantity at this point

A constant struggle for all of us here is the childcare issue. I'm a single mom with 2 little guys and sometimes it just seems hopeless. Childcare in my are for a child over 2 ranges from $140 per week per child - over $200 in a daycare facility/about $275-$350 for both of them in a private home and the cheapest in house nanny I had was $275 a week 8 hours a day 4 days a week which anyone worknig full time knows its 10 hours a day to work an 8 hour a day job. Anyway, For people trying to better themselves by going to nightschool, or parents who maybe just need to shop or take a break for an evening I was thinking of initiating a childcare exchange program in my area. I'm not quite sure how we parents could pre-screen each-other but I do know that I am home most evenings and to have another child or 2 here for a few hours maybe 2 nights a week wouldn't be any trouble. I really wish I would have had this assistance when I needed it most. Does anyone have any ideas or would this be something anyone was interested in? I know its dificult when we don't know peoplebut I was thinking along the lines of providing our own state clearance to join and even our own drug testing. I know drug testing can be done for as little as $35 and the state clearance (for child neglect, felonies etc...) is relatively cheap. I was just thinking how much difference say, a group of five single parents could make in eachothers lives if they were all really supportive of one another.
mother of4and3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2004, 07:09 PM   #2
mother of4and3
I am New

mother of4and3 is an unknown quantity at this point

A constant struggle for all of us here is the childcare issue. I'm a single mom with 2 little guys and sometimes it just seems hopeless. Childcare in my are for a child over 2 ranges from $140 per week per child - over $200 in a daycare facility/about $275-$350 for both of them in a private home and the cheapest in house nanny I had was $275 a week 8 hours a day 4 days a week which anyone worknig full time knows its 10 hours a day to work an 8 hour a day job. Anyway, For people trying to better themselves by going to nightschool, or parents who maybe just need to shop or take a break for an evening I was thinking of initiating a childcare exchange program in my area. I'm not quite sure how we parents could pre-screen each-other but I do know that I am home most evenings and to have another child or 2 here for a few hours maybe 2 nights a week wouldn't be any trouble. I really wish I would have had this assistance when I needed it most. Does anyone have any ideas or would this be something anyone was interested in? I know its dificult when we don't know peoplebut I was thinking along the lines of providing our own state clearance to join and even our own drug testing. I know drug testing can be done for as little as $35 and the state clearance (for child neglect, felonies etc...) is relatively cheap. I was just thinking how much difference say, a group of five single parents could make in eachothers lives if they were all really supportive of one another.
mother of4and3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2004, 09:30 PM   #3
Saving Amy Rose
On the Board

Saving Amy Rose is an unknown quantity at this point

I've had that idea myself...so far I'm still paying overpriced low quality childcare.

Good luck :-)
Old 10-11-2004, 04:18 PM   #4
mamasteph
On the Board

mamasteph is an unknown quantity at this point

That absolutely sounds like a great idea. I get help with child care from the state but I'm stuck with having to make less than 28000/yrly to keep it. I have to turn down jobs that make more just so I dont have to pay 1300/monthly for my 2 boys in daycare. I know that at Osco Drug, you can buy home drug testing kits for a range of drugs for only around 25.00.(typically for parents to test their kids but it should work). As for getting certified by the state, I dont know how that would work, but getting to know eachother might work just as well. But I would so love to be able to go grocery shopping without having to trail 2 carts around(my kids are 2yrs and 7months) and also to work on college without my son hitting the keys on the keyboard of the computer! Honestly, this sounds like a great idea!
mamasteph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2004, 09:53 AM   #5
newyorkmama
On the Board

newyorkmama is an unknown quantity at this point

That is a wonderful idea. Wish I could have something like that in my neighbourhood.
newyorkmama is offline   Reply With Quote