Wild Dancing Thanksgivng Turkey Getting Help with Depression - Single Parents Forum: Single Family Voices
All forums, topics and discussions are geared to single parents and the issues faced with single parenting.
Support a single parent today and one will support you back!

Go Back   Single Parents Forum: Single Family Voices >
(``'·.¸(``'·.¸ Single Parenting - Issues ¸.·'´´)¸.·'´´)
> Dealing With Depression

~ Donate Today ~ PLEASE

Old 11-29-2009, 03:09 AM   #1
mothertao Female
Getting My Feet (Board) Wet

mothertao is a name known to allmothertao is a name known to all
Default Getting Help with Depression

Hi, All,
We've been talking about depression in another thread (on the topic of Facebook), and someone suggested we post our ideas here so everyone could see them. I'm going to start by posting this response I made to Motherboard about how people can get help with Depression. Others had great information, and I hope they can post that here, too, if they feel so inclined.

From the Facebook conversation. . .

MotherBoard, you've really brought up some great questions. i am glad to offer some ideas, not as a professional (i am in an academic field nowadays), but as a concerned person like you.

QUESTION ONE: how can you know if you are depressed?
1. there are a number of quizzes online to help people differentiate sadness from a depressive disorder. i think that this one at Psychology Today might serve to help people as a first step:
http://psychologytoday.psychtests.co..._access.html#h

2. sometimes people know because friends or family help them to see the changes in themselves. if, however, you have isolated yourself from friends and family, that is a good clue that you may have a serious problem.

3. of course, seeing a professional is a more definitive way of looking into your psychological state, which leads us to your next topic. . .

QUESTION TWO: how can i get professional help?
1. i know that the ability to get health insurance coverage varies greatly, and this is a real issue. in my state (Kansas), parents with children who qualify for Healthwave 19 insurance can also qualify for health insurance. the income limits for this insurance are higher than for other benefits. it is worth checking out in your area.

2. contact your local mental health association. explain your financial situation and ask them for recommendations of services that are free or offered on a sliding scale. your county health department may also be able to help connect you to affordable options.

3. some people are now turning to online counseling, which may be less expensive. you should look at this option carefully and be sure you have a reputable counselor.

4. non-professional help is often a good alternative to those who are able to take advantage of it. online or in-person groups may offer support for many.

here is a forum for discussion depression:
http://depressionboards.com/forum/

here is an article about what you need to know about depression forums:
http://www.healthcentral.com/depress...-2581-143.html

4. if you are experiencing serious thoughts of self-harm or suicide, this is no longer an issue of money -- it could be an issue of life or death. here's an important link:
http://www.helpguide.org/mental/suicide_help.htm

QUESTION THREE: as a single parent seeking custody, should i get professional help?
i'm going to add an issue here for all to consider, and it is related to the facebook topic. every parent must decide whether and when to seek professional help. these issues are connected to custody issues, and some people fear seeking help because of this. they may be concerned that their medical records will be used against them in court.

if you are thinking clearly enough, you can consider all the issues and options available to you for help. trusted friends and family members may be able to help you make the phone calls and computer searches so that you can think about your options. your legal representative can help explain how these issues may affect your case. all of these things are worth considering. it is my personal belief that a parent must find a way to get help if he/she needs it, because our children need for us to be as healthy as possible. we can't let fear keep us from exploring our all of our options for help.

thank you for your interest, MotherBoard! i bet others here have great suggestions on help with depression, too.
mothertao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 11:02 AM   #2
Dad1st4boys Male
Failure is not an Option.

Dad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of Support
Default Re: Getting Help with Depression

Mother, could this be made a sticky so it will be ready reference for furture need.
Thanks.
Dad1st4boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 11:04 AM   #3
idig Female
SFV JUNKIE!!!

idig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legend

Dad, you should PM her and ask, she'll see it much faster that way!
Old 11-30-2009, 08:33 AM   #4
MotherBoard Female
Making The Magic Happen
Mother Of The Board

MotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of Support

kk , stuck
Good post
https://www.facebook.com/soloParent
MotherBoard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 10:13 AM   #5
Dad1st4boys Male
Failure is not an Option.

Dad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of Support

Thank you Mother.
Dad1st4boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 10:26 AM   #6
Amalie
Parent on Board

Amalie is an unknown quantity at this point

This is just a sidenote but one has to be careful what sites they receive help from. At my worst moment in time, I joined a site called surviving infidelity. They were my life line until one day they decided that my words and behaviour were no longer condusive to reconciliation with my ex and they banned me without warning and without reconsideration. I remember waiting up one night for my ex to come home and it was 2am and I tried to get on the site only to find that I couldn't. I had formed many friends at that point and could no longer access any of them. The combination of his behaviour that night and the fact that this forum had brutally ripped away something I had come to rely on was very devastating. My depression that night almost took over. So my point is...be careful how much and who you rely on if you are seeking help through the internet!
Amalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 08:53 PM   #7
calia Female
I am New

calia will become famous soon enough

sites are great and like Amalie said remember don't make it your life line.

Just like you can't make any one person your lifeline.

for me, when all esle fails I fall back to faith. I struggle with it every day and like a drug I need little bits all the time. Small doses of reality are my speed bumps, but as long as I know I have control over my own thoughts I know I can make it through.

A doctor once asked me as he held my thick file in his hands, how is it that you are still here. I looked at him and said, "God only knows!"
calia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 08:25 PM   #8
MomDana Female
I am New

MomDana is an unknown quantity at this point

I agree. You need to help yourself first. This will prove that you consider all types of treatments. If you do that for yourself, you will do that for your child.

Do not be embarrassed for getting professional help. Unlike your friends and family who want to sugar coat everything and tell you that you are fine, you feel different. Get the help you need and do not worry about the courts. You might even feel that this professional helps put you in a better, calmer state to deal with your future battles for custody. Good Luck.
MomDana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 08:36 AM   #9
SadMomma Female
Board Member

SadMomma is an unknown quantity at this point

Well, since both my stbx and I are in therapy (separately, he has always refused couples therapy), I think getting help has really benefited us both. But like any other relationship, just because a therapist is recommended ton you, doesn't mean he/she will be the right match. I've learned through trial and error that there must be a personality and philosophical compatibility in this relationship as well.
SadMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 09:06 AM   #10
hilthalt Female
Banned For Spam

hilthalt is an unknown quantity at this point

Just found this! Thank you. What a godsend!
hilthalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 07:22 AM   #11
AlishaSmith Female
Banned For Spam

AlishaSmith is an unknown quantity at this point

Depression is very complicated disease which is second leading cause of the mental.
AlishaSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 06:45 AM   #12
MerryAnn Female
On the Board

MerryAnn is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello.I'm new in this forum.I'm a phsyhologist and this is very interesting to me.I think, that for depression is very important to change the place or find a new hobby.
MerryAnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 06:47 AM   #13
MerryAnn Female
On the Board

MerryAnn is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MerryAnn View Post
Hello.I'm new in this forum.I'm a phsyhologist and this theme is very interesting to me.I think, that for depression is very important to change the place or find a new hobby.
MerryAnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 11:36 PM   #14
jlwest0383 Male
I am New

jlwest0383 is an unknown quantity at this point

all i can say. If you feel you need professional help. It is always a good idea. but if you are thinking just going to try to be a better parent. I say just go to parenting classes. anger management classes and anything you can do and afford on those lines.
jlwest0383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 08:11 AM   #15
audreysykes Female
I am New

audreysykes is an unknown quantity at this point

Depression is a state of being where a person tends to feel absolutely empty, anxious and lost. It is the lowest point on the emotional scale and is marked by a variety of negative feelings, like guilt, helplessness, anger, irritability, etc. There are many practical ways to deal with depression. Ways like Prioritize your life, Put a grin on your face, Show kindness to others, Remember you are human, Exercise, hang out with right People, Repair relationships. Anti- depressants can also help. If the above told things don't work, One can consult to some Professional like Martine Voyance at http://www.martine-voyance.com/tarifs/ for help.
audreysykes is offline   Reply With Quote