Wild Dancing Thanksgivng Turkey Mums - Single Parents Forum: Single Family Voices
All forums, topics and discussions are geared to single parents and the issues faced with single parenting.
Support a single parent today and one will support you back!

Go Back   Single Parents Forum: Single Family Voices >
(``'·.¸(``'·.¸ Tips, Tricks & Ideas ¸.·'´´)¸.·'´´)
> Home, Garden & Living > Home Improvement

~ Donate Today ~ PLEASE

Old 10-05-2009, 05:23 PM   #1
confused1996 Female
Board Beacon Parent

confused1996 has a brilliant futureconfused1996 has a brilliant futureconfused1996 has a brilliant future
humm Mums

Anyone know what you are suppose to do to keep these plants living? I just got one from a friend as a house warming present and I do not have a green thumb. They said to bring it in for the winter then plant it next year is that right??? If you knew my friend you would ask to. They are even worse then me with plants.
confused1996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 05:50 PM   #2
muskiedad Male
the one who babbles

muskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legend
Default Re: Mums

I have planted them outside and had them overwinter and spread in my garden. They are beautiful in the fall gardens against the rock walls. I would plant it outside this fall, in a well dug hole with good soil and such. What's the old saying "don't put a $10 plant in a $2 hole."
muskiedad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 05:53 PM   #3
confused1996 Female
Board Beacon Parent

confused1996 has a brilliant futureconfused1996 has a brilliant futureconfused1996 has a brilliant future
worship Re: Mums

Oh so I should do it now I can do that. So I good hole would be bigger then the pot it came in?? See told ya I wasnt a green thumb. My son wants to make a garden next year that could be fun. As long as no spiders come along. YUK.
Old 10-05-2009, 06:25 PM   #4
sara1 Female
Setting New Standards

sara1 Has Heart and Soul of an Angelsara1 Has Heart and Soul of an Angelsara1 Has Heart and Soul of an Angelsara1 Has Heart and Soul of an Angelsara1 Has Heart and Soul of an Angelsara1 Has Heart and Soul of an Angelsara1 Has Heart and Soul of an Angelsara1 Has Heart and Soul of an Angelsara1 Has Heart and Soul of an Angelsara1 Has Heart and Soul of an Angelsara1 Has Heart and Soul of an Angel

ask Idig when she comes on she is one of those landscapey people
Old 10-05-2009, 09:06 PM   #5
idig Female
SFV JUNKIE!!!

idig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by sara1 View Post
Hehehehe, you know me well!

Finally, something I know about!

Ok, do you know if it is a florist mum or a landscape mum? Was it bought at a garden center or a florist or grocery store? If it is from a nursery, put it in the ground now. If it came from a grocery store or florist, it was grown in a greenhouse and may not overwinter if it isn't given an opportunity to harden off. Tell me which one and I can tell you how to harden it off if you don't want to keep it inside for winter.

As for the hole.....the larger the area around it you dig up and prepare the better for the plant. A minimum of diggin a hole twice as wide and half again as deep. break it up, amend it if necessary (I have no idea what your soil is like). Next, backfill the hole so that when the plant is placed in the ground the top of the soil out of the pot is a little above ground level (the broken up soil below it will settle a little. Mound the dug out dirt up to the sides, but don't cover the top of the soil ball it came in. Water in well. YOu probably won't half to worry about watering this time of year but if you do it is always best to water infrequently but deeply.

If you want I can tell you how to make it be in the pretty little shape like you buy it in when it blooms next year! Let me know!

Good luck!
Old 10-07-2009, 10:03 AM   #6
confused1996 Female
Board Beacon Parent

Ok not sure where they got it from but I do know that the wife works at a grocery store so its most lucky from there. Around my place is mostly new fill because its a new construction so do I need to add anything to the soil when I plant it? If needed I can keep it inside for the winter then plant it next year?
Old 10-07-2009, 10:12 AM   #7
nadee_09 Female
At A loss for Words - NOT!

nadee_09 has a reputation beyond reputenadee_09 has a reputation beyond reputenadee_09 has a reputation beyond reputenadee_09 has a reputation beyond reputenadee_09 has a reputation beyond reputenadee_09 has a reputation beyond reputenadee_09 has a reputation beyond reputenadee_09 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Idig, I have a planting question for you if thats ok! They are indoor plants and right now I am not 100% sure of there real names. I will google them and get back to you if you dont mind. I repotted one and it is doing awesome, the other I dont know how to start it. I plan on getting a slip off of it from someone and we are both not sure what to do with it.

---------- Post added at 10:12 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:09 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by confused1996 View Post
Ok not sure where they got it from but I do know that the wife works at a grocery store so its most lucky from there. Around my place is mostly new fill because its a new construction so do I need to add anything to the soil when I plant it? If needed I can keep it inside for the winter then plant it next year?
Peat moss and some form of manure, (gross, I know) are good fertilizers especially if it is new fill. I think you can get sheep manure at most local stores. I dont think it it necessary to add to the soil, but it will make it better for the plant.
nadee_09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 10:14 AM   #8
confused1996 Female
Board Beacon Parent

Thanks Natty. Not looking forward to the manure but we will do. Maybe I can convince the 13 year old to do it. Yah right.
Old 10-07-2009, 07:10 PM   #9
Bluemoon Female
just an old hippie chick

Bluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support Legend

Quote:
the manure
Too bad we are so far away from each other, I could SO hook you up, .

To disagree, one doesn't have to be disagreeable. ~Barry M. Goldwater and Jack Casserly, Goldwater

Life is all about how you handle Plan B. ~ off a Blue Mountain Arts calendar
Bluemoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 08:00 PM   #10
idig Female
SFV JUNKIE!!!

idig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legend

Quote:

Ok it needs to be hardened off then. Here is what you need to do.

Hold cold is it there now? If it isn't too cold, I would take it outside in the morning and bring it in in the evening for a few days. Then go to leaving it out overnight (assuming it is not going below freezing) for another week at least. I am cutting these time short because you are way north of me and I am unsure about how soon it gets really cold! If you have longer before freezing temperatures, do it longer. This lets the plant acclimate to the outdoors. It has lived it's entire life in a greenhouse if it came from a grocery store (more than likely).

Manure is great stuff, however you need to know if you are using the straight stuff or the store bought stuff. Manure is hot and can burn plants up if too much is used. If it is the real stuff, I'd need to know what animal it comes from and look it up to give you a blend. Store bought stuff is usually only 1 percent manure or less so your safe with it! Peat is good as long as you do not have heavy soil (clay) it retains water so don't overdo!

Quote:
Idig, I have a planting question for you if thats ok! They are indoor plants and right now I am not 100% sure of there real names. I will google them and get back to you if you dont mind. I repotted one and it is doing awesome, the other I dont know how to start it. I plan on getting a slip off of it from someone and we are both not sure what to do with it.
Of course it's ok! See if you can google it's name or post a picture and I will help if I can! Most houseplants you can start a piece in some water until it has lots of roots then pot it up. My propagation prof would kick my behind for telling you to do it that way, but it works and how I do a lot of propagation myself! But if you know what it is I might can help better.
Old 10-07-2009, 08:17 PM   #11
muskiedad Male
the one who babbles

muskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legend

I once got two free truckloads of manure and put in the vegetable garden...it had not broken down enuff and next thing I knew was that every conceivable weed seed which had passed thru the cow was not growing in well fertilised soil.
Old 10-07-2009, 08:20 PM   #12
Bluemoon Female
just an old hippie chick

Bluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by muskiedad View Post
I once got two free truckloads of manure and put in the vegetable garden...it had not broken down enuff and next thing I knew was that every conceivable weed seed which had passed thru the cow was not growing in well fertilised soil.
See there? Rock does not eat weeds. (and his stuff doesn't stink...not bad, anyway)

To disagree, one doesn't have to be disagreeable. ~Barry M. Goldwater and Jack Casserly, Goldwater

Old 10-07-2009, 08:47 PM   #13
idig Female
SFV JUNKIE!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by muskiedad View Post
Oh, yeah, then there is that too
Old 10-07-2009, 08:54 PM   #14
nadee_09 Female

nadee_09 has a reputation beyond reputenadee_09 has a reputation beyond reputenadee_09 has a reputation beyond reputenadee_09 has a reputation beyond reputenadee_09 has a reputation beyond reputenadee_09 has a reputation beyond reputenadee_09 has a reputation beyond reputenadee_09 has a reputation beyond repute

Finally, I got my pc hooked up!

This is what it looks like
http://www.hartnursery.co.za/images/Coleus.JPG
They call it Josephs Coat or St. josephs coat. Im thinking there is another name for it too.

I have one already done that is absolutley beautiful and I did it myself(repotting) Tommorow I will post a pic for you. the one that I have its really all purple/red no green at all. Much nicer than the link. Anyways I started a couple for friends as gifts and I did start them in a glass of water waited for roots and then transferred to a sm pot. Both of the are not doing so good. They look pretty sad actually. Im thinking I should of waited for a better root?

The other one I was wondering about was this one
http://www.anyheart.org/lipstik.gif

A lipstick plant. My nan used to have one growing up and I always wanted one. How would you get this started with a slip?

I am sorry confused that hi jacked your thread
Old 10-07-2009, 08:57 PM   #15
sara1 Female
Setting New Standards

sara1 Has Heart and Soul of an Angelsara1 Has Heart and Soul of an Angelsara1 Has Heart and Soul of an Angelsara1 Has Heart and Soul of an Angelsara1 Has Heart and Soul of an Angelsara1 Has Heart and Soul of an Angelsara1 Has Heart and Soul of an Angelsara1 Has Heart and Soul of an Angelsara1 Has Heart and Soul of an Angelsara1 Has Heart and Soul of an Angelsara1 Has Heart and Soul of an Angel

I planted my first garden in a spot that had been a pig pen. You wouldnt believe what came up in there that I had never planted.
Old 10-07-2009, 09:12 PM   #16
nadee_09 Female

Quote:
I planted my first garden in a spot that had been a pig pen. You wouldnt believe what came up in there that I had never planted.
That could very well be my life story summed up quite nicely!

Thats funny! Maybe I could use that as my sig line I have been looking for!
Old 10-07-2009, 09:19 PM   #17
muskiedad Male
the one who babbles

Amazing what can grow when it is fertilised!
Old 10-07-2009, 09:23 PM   #18
idig Female
SFV JUNKIE!!!

Alternanthera ficoidea is what is called Joseph's coat around here there are several colors http://images.google.com/images?hl=e...=&aqi=&start=0

The one you have in our image is coleus http://www.blossomswap.com/images/fl...res/coleus.jpg We grow that outdoors as a summer annual here.

Maybe it didn't have enough roots, that is possible. I will say this, the most common killer of houseplants is overwatering. Without seeing it, that is the first thing I would suspect just because it happens so often. Hopefully I can tell a little more when I see it. When a plant is overwatered it wilts (same thing if badly underwatered) and so people dump more water on. Again, it is always best to water infrequently and deep.

The lipstick plant, everything I am seeing on it says tip cuttings in spring (newer growth) dipped in rooting hormone and stuck. That is one exception to the infrequently and deeply rule, rooting cuttings, they should be kept evenly moist and the soil a tad warm. I would probably try it in water first as I stink at the evenly moist/mist the leaves thing......

You will have the best luck if you get a slip with a node http://www.mun.ca/biology/desmid/bri...h07/fig7_8.jpg

Good luck with it! Also, if you love this kind of thing, there is an endless amount of knowledge and experience on gardenweb.com!

Thank ya'll for asking plant questions
Old 10-07-2009, 09:46 PM   #19
nadee_09 Female

Cool, Thanks idig. You do know your plants. I will definetly put up a pic tommorrow. I leave all my plants at the office because my mom kills them . Definetly didnt get my green thumb from her. So many people that come in comment on it. It really is pretty. I have heard they do well outside but didnt plant any. I did put it out during a couple of nice days and it wilted big time. Anytime I see it wilting, a little splash and it perks right up. The lip stick, I have no idea. This sweet little old lady (customer) is going to try and start it for me and see what happens.
Old 10-07-2009, 10:23 PM   #20
Bluemoon Female
just an old hippie chick

Idig, reckon I can save my braided ficus tree now that all the leaves are gone?

Old 10-07-2009, 10:42 PM   #21
idig Female
SFV JUNKIE!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesmom View Post
Idig, reckon I can save my braided ficus tree now that all the leaves are gone?
Scratch the outermost layer of bark to see if the cambium is still intact. when you scratch you will see either green or a darker brown thin layer. Do this on some of the twigs, and then on the trunk(s). Let me know if it's green...

If it is brown, it's dead. If it is green you can save it.
Old 10-09-2009, 09:16 AM   #22
confused1996 Female
Board Beacon Parent

No biggy Natty. I am going to try to do what idig suggest without killing the poor plant. My thumb is more black then green.