Wild Dancing Thanksgivng Turkey ???? for BD...an any other electricians. - Single Parents Forum: Single Family Voices
All forums, topics and discussions are geared to single parents and the issues faced with single parenting.
Support a single parent today and one will support you back!

Go Back   Single Parents Forum: Single Family Voices >
(``'·.¸(``'·.¸ Tips, Tricks & Ideas ¸.·'´´)¸.·'´´)
> Home, Garden & Living > Home Improvement

~ Donate Today ~ PLEASE

Old 07-27-2010, 01:25 PM   #1
Bluemoon Female
just an old hippie chick

Bluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support Legend
Default ???? for BD...an any other electricians.

8 ft copper grounding rod. Goes in maybe 4 ft...after soaking the ground...and hits a rock. No way to get around this rock, it's too big. Might even be a shelf of rock.

Is a 4 foot deep grounding rod suffient? (I know, wishful thinking).

How do you get the darn thing back out? (so I can go get it stuck somewhere else)

The ground is complete mud, I've wiggled it back and forth till I'm dizzy, and it's still wedged tight.

Maybe that's it. It's wedged. If so, though, it will be the 2nd one to do so...and it seems that if it was wedged, I wouldn't be able to wiggle it enough to feel the rock scraping on the tip.

So frustrateing.......

Hey....could I skip the rod and dig a trench (to bury it) and tie it to my well head somewhere? It would put it about 10 feet from the charger, though...

To disagree, one doesn't have to be disagreeable. ~Barry M. Goldwater and Jack Casserly, Goldwater

Life is all about how you handle Plan B. ~ off a Blue Mountain Arts calendar
Bluemoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 01:29 PM   #2
Dad1st4boys Male
Failure is not an Option.

Dad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of Support
Default Re: ???? for BD...an any other electrici

Is this for an Electric Fence?
Dad1st4boys is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 01:39 PM   #3
Bluemoon Female
just an old hippie chick

Bluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad1st4boys View Post
Is this for an Electric Fence?
Yes. 17 gauge aluminum wire.

To disagree, one doesn't have to be disagreeable. ~Barry M. Goldwater and Jack Casserly, Goldwater

Old 07-27-2010, 01:44 PM   #4
Dad1st4boys Male

Dad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of Support

Tieing in on the well head might give you a solid ground. I have also seen several shorter ground rods used evenly spaced along the fence.
Do you have a fence tester, besides the ex peeing on it and screaming?
Old 07-27-2010, 01:48 PM   #5
comingup4air Female
Putting my child first...

comingup4air Is Rocken These Boards With Supportcomingup4air Is Rocken These Boards With Supportcomingup4air Is Rocken These Boards With Supportcomingup4air Is Rocken These Boards With Supportcomingup4air Is Rocken These Boards With Supportcomingup4air Is Rocken These Boards With Supportcomingup4air Is Rocken These Boards With Supportcomingup4air Is Rocken These Boards With Supportcomingup4air Is Rocken These Boards With Supportcomingup4air Is Rocken These Boards With Support

Quote:

AAAAHAHAHAHA! FUNNY!!

I'm so impressed with you, Blue...
comingup4air is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 01:53 PM   #6
Bluemoon Female
just an old hippie chick

Quote:
Tieing in on the well head might give you a solid ground. I have also seen several shorter ground rods used evenly spaced along the fence.
Ahahahahha! Yes, I have a fence tester. A non-human one.

You are supposed to have the ground as close as possible to the charger though. Is 10 ft. too far?

I have seen the multirod system, too (in books) but I prefer a really deep rod (get ya'lls heads out of the gutter) cause the ground above the rock layer can dry very quickly.

Old 07-27-2010, 01:56 PM   #7
comingup4air Female

comingup4air Is Rocken These Boards With Supportcomingup4air Is Rocken These Boards With Supportcomingup4air Is Rocken These Boards With Supportcomingup4air Is Rocken These Boards With Supportcomingup4air Is Rocken These Boards With Supportcomingup4air Is Rocken These Boards With Supportcomingup4air Is Rocken These Boards With Supportcomingup4air Is Rocken These Boards With Supportcomingup4air Is Rocken These Boards With Supportcomingup4air Is Rocken These Boards With Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluemoon View Post
but I prefer a really deep rod (get ya'lls heads out of the gutter) cause the ground above the rock layer can dry very quickly.

COME ON!!! You are NOT going to take this one from me....it's so EASY!!!
Old 07-27-2010, 01:58 PM   #8
Bluemoon Female
just an old hippie chick

Quote:
Originally Posted by comingup4air View Post
COME ON!!! You are NOT going to take this one from me....it's so EASY!!!

Old 07-27-2010, 02:25 PM   #9
comingup4air Female

Killin' me.
Old 07-27-2010, 02:34 PM   #10
Dad1st4boys Male

This thread went down hill fast!!!!
Old 07-27-2010, 02:45 PM   #11
comingup4air Female

Quote:
This thread went down hill fast!!!!
...and this surprises you HOW?....

I mean really, any thread I am on tends to remain on topic. I wonder how these seamingly innocent threads keep getting off track...hmmm??
Old 07-27-2010, 02:51 PM   #12
Dad1st4boys Male

Thread Pirates!! Standby to repel borders!!!!
Old 07-27-2010, 02:54 PM   #13
comingup4air Female

WAIT!!! I forgot to ask Blue....

were you wearing your DEW RAG for this 'inserting rods' job???
Old 07-27-2010, 02:58 PM   #14
Bluemoon Female
just an old hippie chick

I still need some suggestions about wtf to do with this annoying fence situation......

Oh, not I was not wearing a dew rag, or even a dew bra. I was wearing a raincoat. Go ahead. Run with that one, .

Old 07-27-2010, 03:02 PM   #15
Bubba'sDad
Banned For Spam

Bubba'sDad Has Heart and Soul of an AngelBubba'sDad Has Heart and Soul of an AngelBubba'sDad Has Heart and Soul of an AngelBubba'sDad Has Heart and Soul of an AngelBubba'sDad Has Heart and Soul of an AngelBubba'sDad Has Heart and Soul of an AngelBubba'sDad Has Heart and Soul of an AngelBubba'sDad Has Heart and Soul of an AngelBubba'sDad Has Heart and Soul of an AngelBubba'sDad Has Heart and Soul of an AngelBubba'sDad Has Heart and Soul of an Angel

Run 20' of copper wire buried 6" deep in a big circle. Don't put aluminum wire near the ground.
Bubba'sDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 03:07 PM   #16
comingup4air Female

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba'sDad View Post
Run 20' of copper wire buried 6" deep in a big circle. Don't put aluminum wire near the ground.
See? I knew someone without a dirty mind would come along and help.
Old 07-27-2010, 03:10 PM   #17
Bluemoon Female
just an old hippie chick

Quote:
Define "near". My bottom strand of fence wire is maybe a foot off the ground.

Copper wire...just bare copper wire? Bend it, bury it and leave one end sticking up to connect to the charger (with the covered wire) ?

How does that keep it wet enough to ground well?

BTW the charger is several feet away from the fence (or it will be if I can ever get the dang rod in, ).
I say this in case you are concerned the fence may arc to the ground wire.

Old 07-27-2010, 03:22 PM   #18
Bubba'sDad
Banned For Spam

Bubba'sDad Has Heart and Soul of an AngelBubba'sDad Has Heart and Soul of an AngelBubba'sDad Has Heart and Soul of an AngelBubba'sDad Has Heart and Soul of an AngelBubba'sDad Has Heart and Soul of an AngelBubba'sDad Has Heart and Soul of an AngelBubba'sDad Has Heart and Soul of an AngelBubba'sDad Has Heart and Soul of an AngelBubba'sDad Has Heart and Soul of an AngelBubba'sDad Has Heart and Soul of an AngelBubba'sDad Has Heart and Soul of an Angel

Ground rod doesn't give you a good ground, ever.

Near=2-3"

But I'm not really familiar with horse fences
Old 07-27-2010, 03:55 PM   #19
Bluemoon Female
just an old hippie chick

Quote:
Ground rod doesn't give you a good ground, ever.
Well, then what does? Could different applications need different kinds of grounds? What about the well scenario? That's the best ground you can get, isn't it? But is 10 feet too far away from the charger?

BTW, I have a 6 ft copper rod sunk for the exisiting fence. It's worked great for years, even through a drought, but it's in a low spot of the yard. Unfortunately it's also smack in the middle of where the new pasture will be when I move this fence.

I'm heading to Lowes. I'll ask them if the circle of copper would work for this kind of application.

Keep the ideas commin if you have anymore, please! I'm gonna have this place looking like a giant pin cushion if I keep banging in new rods and not being able to get them back out.

I'll post some pics in a minuet. Gotta run and get M.

Oh, why can't you get aluminum wire close to the ground?

Old 07-27-2010, 04:03 PM   #20
muskiedad Male
the one who babbles

muskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legend

I'm with CU4A on this.....who could resist!
muskiedad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 04:31 PM   #21
Bubba'sDad
Banned For Spam

A) never tell an electrical contractor "I'm gonna ask the guy at lowes if you are right or not". Just kick me in the nuts and tell me to ____ off first.

B) the aluminum will corrode pretty quickly. 10' ground rods are made so you can drive them in 8' and be high enough above the ground to use an aluminum ground wire.
Old 07-27-2010, 04:45 PM   #22
muskiedad Male
the one who babbles

muskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legend

I just got back from a jobsite where the people couldn't wait to do it properly and went to a big box store for advice, made a mess of it and now called me all apolgetic and asking me to fix it. I fully agree with BD point #1 above!
My question......what happens when Blue runs over the 2' portion sticking above ground with her lawmmower? And I admit it was interesting to read Blue wanting to get the rod deeper to keep it wet even during a dry spell.
muskiedad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 05:08 PM   #23
Bluemoon Female
just an old hippie chick

Quote:
A) never tell an electrical contractor "I'm gonna ask the guy at lowes if you are right or not". Just kick me in the nuts and tell me to ____ off first.

B) the aluminum will corrode pretty quickly. 10' ground rods are made so you can drive them in 8' and be high enough above the ground to use an aluminum ground wire.
a) I meant no offence, of course. I was refering to guys who know alot about horse fencing (hopefully) since you admit you do not. That's all.

Quote:
I'll ask them if the circle of copper would work for this kind of application.
Don't forget, our Lowes workers are local country boys, too. Most have cattle. However, they have never (yet) offered me an alternative to the driving of grounding rods. I thought someone here might know a trick they don't.

B) I use a insulated copper wire for my grounding wire (big, threaded). Only the fence wire is aluminum.

I did google. Everything I saw said I need at least one ground rod, but as many as three are reccomended. All are supposed to be at least 6 ft deep. That isn't happening. One did say I could bury a copper pipe, at least 20' long as deep as possible in addition to the one rod, but that doesn't save me anything. I know one rod will work, if I can ever get one in.

Thanks guys. I appreciate your efforts.

Old 07-27-2010, 05:26 PM   #24
Bubba'sDad
Banned For Spam

20' of copper wire = 20' ground rod.

I do realize I didn't spec size. But 20' of bare #4 is sufficient for a 200a electrical service on a house.
Old 07-27-2010, 07:19 PM   #25
Bluemoon Female
just an old hippie chick

Thank you, BD.