Wild Dancing Thanksgivng Turkey Urine smell.. ICK! - Single Parents Forum: Single Family Voices
All forums, topics and discussions are geared to single parents and the issues faced with single parenting.
Support a single parent today and one will support you back!

Go Back   Single Parents Forum: Single Family Voices >
(``'·.¸(``'·.¸ Tips, Tricks & Ideas ¸.·'´´)¸.·'´´)
> Home, Garden & Living > Home Improvement

~ Donate Today ~ PLEASE

Old 08-03-2005, 08:39 PM   #1
commander leftover Female
Board Beacon Parent

commander leftover is an unknown quantity at this point

Firstly, I have no idea how this happened. Jack had a box in his closet, and something that had pee-pee on it ended up in the box. Then he started piling more clothes in the box.

I didn't find it for like, A MONTH! It was the rankest pong I have ever smelled. So I put all the clothes in the machine and washed and dried them. I went to take the load out of the dryer, and they still stink.

What do I add to the washing machine to take the smell out?
Are these clothes going to be ruined because I washed and dried them?
Do I use Oxy-Clean?
Baking soda?
Vinagar?
Do I have to clean the drier with something so the tang of Jack wee doesn't rub off on all my clothes?
commander leftover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 08:51 PM   #2
CA
Setting New Standards

CA is an unknown quantity at this point

Leftover,
Here is a remedy for pet urine. Try this dilution and soak overnight? Then wash clothes again. The stains(if any)are probably set from the dryer but, the smell should dissipate. Worth a try before tossing the clothes.

"Eliminate animal urine stains from carpet. Blot up urine, flush several times with lukewarm water, then apply a mixture of equal parts Heinz White Vinegar and cool water. Blot up, rinse, and let dry."
CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 08:55 PM   #3
whiteswan
Board Member

whiteswan is an unknown quantity at this point

Add vinegar to the water of the machine and run it empty with only vinegar and water a few times -- it should work as vinegar cuts the acid of urine which helps to create the smell of urine. Hope it works -- it works on floors if a puppy pees on the floor -- the pup won't pee in that spot again as the urine smell has been destroyed in that spot. If the clothes still smell of urine put them in the wash and put soap in like usual then add vinegar to the rinse cycle. It will work , trust me as I take care of a lot of incontinent people in my job and have done that with their clothes. Let us know how it goes.
whiteswan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 10:37 PM   #4
Board Beacon Parent

If I add vinegar to the rinse cycle, do I put the clothes right in the dryer when they're done, or do I wash them again?

Do I use fabric softener along with the vinegar?
Old 08-03-2005, 10:37 PM   #5
Board Beacon Parent

If I add vinegar to the rinse cycle, do I put the clothes right in the dryer when they're done, or do I wash them again?

Do I use fabric softener along with the vinegar?
Old 08-03-2005, 10:58 PM   #6
mommadeb
Parent on Board

mommadeb is an unknown quantity at this point

I would wash them without soap or fabric softener when you do the vinegar. Then wash again with soap/softener. Do a sniff check before drying them, and if you're not sure let them air-dry.
mommadeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 11:23 PM   #7
Re-Mom Female
Mainiac

Re-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of Support

Nature's Miracle! Gets cat pee scent out. You soak it and once it dries the smell is gone. I believe there are clothing instructions on the bottle. You get it at one of those PetSmart or petshops.
Re-Mom is offline   Reply With Quote