Wild Dancing Thanksgivng Turkey Building A house - Single Parents Forum: Single Family Voices
All forums, topics and discussions are geared to single parents and the issues faced with single parenting.
Support a single parent today and one will support you back!

Go Back   Single Parents Forum: Single Family Voices >
(``'·.¸(``'·.¸ Tips, Tricks & Ideas ¸.·'´´)¸.·'´´)
> Home, Garden & Living > Home Improvement

~ Donate Today ~ PLEASE

Old 06-04-2009, 12:42 PM   #1
confused1996 Female
Board Beacon Parent

confused1996 has a brilliant futureconfused1996 has a brilliant futureconfused1996 has a brilliant future
curse Building A house

Anyone know how long it should take to get an inspector to inspect drainage? Here my builder has not touch the house since last Tues ( foundation is in and drainage is started) because if you believe this one he is still waiting for the inspector. This house is suppose to be done by the end of July it is now Jun 4th this is not looking good.
confused1996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 01:45 PM   #2
Bubba'sDad
Banned For Spam

Bubba'sDad Has Heart and Soul of an AngelBubba'sDad Has Heart and Soul of an AngelBubba'sDad Has Heart and Soul of an AngelBubba'sDad Has Heart and Soul of an AngelBubba'sDad Has Heart and Soul of an AngelBubba'sDad Has Heart and Soul of an AngelBubba'sDad Has Heart and Soul of an AngelBubba'sDad Has Heart and Soul of an AngelBubba'sDad Has Heart and Soul of an AngelBubba'sDad Has Heart and Soul of an AngelBubba'sDad Has Heart and Soul of an Angel
Default Re: Building A house

Its not unheard of to wait 2-3 weeks insome towns around here in New Germany. Each town is different. In some towns, if the inspector is on vacation, no inspections are performed.
Bubba'sDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 04:09 PM   #3
confused1996 Female
Board Beacon Parent

confused1996 has a brilliant futureconfused1996 has a brilliant futureconfused1996 has a brilliant future

Great. Well thats my luck anyway. We will see if he gets the place done right by July. Thought it was a good idea to build instead of getting someone elses issues. Here it costs about the same in the long run. I guess you pay one way or the other.
Old 06-11-2009, 09:48 PM   #4
confused1996 Female
Board Beacon Parent

Update the builder finally started back at the house 3 weeks later. But to his benefit he has the basement studed for the support wall we will see.
Old 06-11-2009, 11:09 PM   #5
Bluemoon Female
just an old hippie chick

Bluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by confused1996 View Post
Great. Well thats my luck anyway. We will see if he gets the place done right by July. Thought it was a good idea to build instead of getting someone elses issues. Here it costs about the same in the long run. I guess you pay one way or the other.
I've done it both ways...build from scratch was better for me...if there had been a long run...lots of choices, starting all fresh. Buy cheap and put the $ into renovations was way better in the short run. Remind me to tell you about the brand new (2nd level) shower in my brand new house they failed to seal properly....flood, CRASH!!!!! Well, guess I just told you..
Bluemoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 10:38 AM   #6
confused1996 Female
Board Beacon Parent

____, I hope that was covered by new home warrenty?? That would be about my luck . Im trying to get as many friends husbands to give me advice and to look at the house in stages so far nothing to look at. Cement looks like cement. Finally something yesturday but we will see.
Old 06-12-2009, 04:09 PM   #7
Bluemoon Female
just an old hippie chick

Bluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support Legend

Quote:
____, I hope that was covered by new home warrenty?? That would be about my luck . Im trying to get as many friends husbands to give me advice and to look at the house in stages so far nothing to look at. Cement looks like cement. Finally something yesturday but we will see.
Oh yeah, the builder took care of it. Hope your house is ready in record time. :-)
Old 06-22-2009, 04:49 PM   #8
confused1996 Female
Board Beacon Parent

Ohh just an update. This time not the builders mistake but the supplier got to love it I went in to pick out the siding, roofing singles, ceramic and hardwood floors as per builder. The supplier wrote everything down on an quote form with the builders name on it so he could come in with the amount he needs. Well that was done on Monday of last week low and behold when he went in to order the singles and roofing the supplier could not find the form. ARHHH This is frustrating the only good thng is I asked for a copy of the form and lucky for me I had it on me today so when I was called by my realtor I was able to tell him what was on it as well as whom tock the order. I lost 3 days because of someone misfiling. I swear if I have any luck at all its bad.
Old 09-11-2009, 01:32 PM   #9
confused1996 Female
Board Beacon Parent

Up date. House is supposely done. No cabinet doors. Ok they are coming in 9 to 10 days. Builder didnt paint walls correct colour just decided to paint it a colour he had on hand instead. grr Will not repaint. Humm the shower is washing my walls when your taking a shower. Downstair the washer hookup is leaking all over the floor. They broke the sprayer on the kitchen sink when installing it. But all in all Im in the house on time for school so Ry can start his schedule out the right way. So any suggestions on how to get all these leaks fixed . Could wait for the builder to show up with the cabinet door and make him fix it. yah right. My luck the builder will just send the cabinet guy by himself. Or on the other hand I can read a do it yourself book and fix them myself.
Old 09-11-2009, 01:53 PM   #10
Bluemoon Female
just an old hippie chick

You need to make a "punch" list and the builder should take care of it all in a reasonable amount of time. If not, you get to punch him, . JK, if not he could be sued and you can always threaten to report him to the BBB.
If you fix it yourself (or hire the repair out) be sure to document everything...and deffinately report the guy, even if you don't want to take him to court over it.
I hope he comes through for you...these are not minor issues at all.
Do you have to pay for water? Those leaks could cost you a bundle just for that.

To disagree, one doesn't have to be disagreeable. ~Barry M. Goldwater and Jack Casserly, Goldwater

Life is all about how you handle Plan B. ~ off a Blue Mountain Arts calendar
Old 09-11-2009, 02:05 PM   #11
confused1996 Female
Board Beacon Parent

No Im on a well. I have started a list of issues. I mentioned them to my lawyer he says that he held a hold back for the cabinets so he said to make sure that he fixes the other issues as well before he pays it. I just dont think it will be an easy thing to get him back. Hey do you think BD will come all the way down here and kick his ____. Just joking.
Old 09-11-2009, 02:10 PM   #12
Bluemoon Female
just an old hippie chick

Quote:
No Im on a well. I have started a list of issues. I mentioned them to my lawyer he says that he held a hold back for the cabinets so he said to make sure that he fixes the other issues as well before he pays it. I just dont think it will be an easy thing to get him back. Hey do you think BD will come all the way down here and kick his ____. Just joking.
Maybe he'll send some of the "family", the Fruits of the Loom.

To disagree, one doesn't have to be disagreeable. ~Barry M. Goldwater and Jack Casserly, Goldwater

Last edited by Bluemoon; 09-11-2009 at 02:33 PM.
Old 09-11-2009, 02:13 PM   #13
confused1996 Female
Board Beacon Parent

just sent tea throu my noise. Thats a good one.
Old 09-11-2009, 08:42 PM   #14
muskiedad Male
the one who babbles

muskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legend

Being in the trades myself I wonder why builder will not repaint? Since you had a colour and he substituted I am guessing without approval! Also, be wary of fixing stuff yourself because they may argue that you made a "simple" repair quite costly and you will end up paying something toward that. I would be on the phone to him right now...the general contractor is paid to absorb headaches and you have some urgent matters ie water leaks. You should not be waiting for him to arrive, you should be telling him (nicely of course) that there are leaks and they need to be attended to a.s.a.p. Paint colours etc can wait for a bit......then make him repaint!
muskiedad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 08:48 PM   #15
Bubba'sDad
Banned For Spam

Bubba'sDad Has Heart and Soul of an AngelBubba'sDad Has Heart and Soul of an AngelBubba'sDad Has Heart and Soul of an AngelBubba'sDad Has Heart and Soul of an AngelBubba'sDad Has Heart and Soul of an AngelBubba'sDad Has Heart and Soul of an AngelBubba'sDad Has Heart and Soul of an AngelBubba'sDad Has Heart and Soul of an AngelBubba'sDad Has Heart and Soul of an AngelBubba'sDad Has Heart and Soul of an AngelBubba'sDad Has Heart and Soul of an Angel

Fruit of the Looms? funny girl, funny
Old 09-11-2009, 08:52 PM   #16
comingup4air Female
Putting my child first...

comingup4air Is Rocken These Boards With Supportcomingup4air Is Rocken These Boards With Supportcomingup4air Is Rocken These Boards With Supportcomingup4air Is Rocken These Boards With Supportcomingup4air Is Rocken These Boards With Supportcomingup4air Is Rocken These Boards With Supportcomingup4air Is Rocken These Boards With Supportcomingup4air Is Rocken These Boards With Supportcomingup4air Is Rocken These Boards With Supportcomingup4air Is Rocken These Boards With Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba'sDad View Post
Fruit of the Looms? funny girl, funny

I thought it was WICKED funny!! She's witty. I LIKE her.
comingup4air is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 09:00 PM   #17
Bubba'sDad
Banned For Spam

Quote:
Originally Posted by comingup4air View Post
I thought it was WICKED funny!! She's witty. I LIKE her.
don't help
Old 09-12-2009, 01:08 AM   #18
MotherBoard Female
Making The Magic Happen
Mother Of The Board

MotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of Support

heres a couple of links that could help get some answers.

http://apegnb.ca/index.php?lang=english
or here
http://nbboa.ca/acboa.htm

hope that helps.
Im happy that the house is done, and school schedules can be meet. I am so glad its done enough for you all to move in...

But like Muskiedad said...
Get the contractor to do it, if not complain to where ever holds his license.
https://www.facebook.com/soloParent
MotherBoard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 11:18 AM   #19
confused1996 Female
Board Beacon Parent

I agree with you I left a message at the only number I have telling him of all the water leaks. Havent heard back yet but hoping by monday I will. Also having electrical issues breakers tripping breakers kind of thing. Cant leave bathroom breaker on and turn beadroom breaker on kind of thing scared to try to turn on the floor heater they might trip something else going to do that tonight thou its getting to chilling at night not to turn on the heat. The wonders of a new home if I didnt have bad luck I would have any luck at all.
Also BD blues joke was very funny.
Thanks guys for the advice I will tell you if anything gets done. I have a hold back that he is not getting until it all is fixed.
Oh the painting he says he will redue but will charge me an extra 1000 I cant afford that. Even though its in the agreement he says he will find extra cost to off set it so that I will have to pay. WTF I didnt think you could do that?? I guess being a single women in this situation is not helping me any Ive tried to get my brother or fatehr to talk to this guy but both where no shows anytime I asked them. Guess thats the lovely thing about my family they are only there if they want to be and it benefits them. Thats another issue for another thread and time.
Old 09-12-2009, 12:09 PM   #20
Bluemoon Female
just an old hippie chick

$1000.00 to repaint a room, and that's the reduced rate? No way in he11!!!!
Also, I forgot about the electrical issues. That is a major safety concern. Fire, shock, electricution...that combined with water leaks...sheesh...wasn't this place inspected and given a CO before you were allowed to move in? I don't see how it could have passed.
I'm so sorry, Confused. What a PITA to have to deal with this.
I would think about contacting one of those shows that exposes crooked contractors! There is no excuse for this stuff!

Old 09-12-2009, 01:24 PM   #21
confused1996 Female
Board Beacon Parent

I was told that because my house in located in a rural area that it doesnt have to be totally up to code. No one told me that one when I started. I called my lawyer and left a message re all the issues Im having. If I dont hear from the contractor by monday to fix this Im going to very vocal. I may be short, blonde and a girl but Im not a pushover or dumb. There is no way that this is allowed. There is suppose to be a warrenty throu some new home thing Im suppose to be getting Im suppose to sign it saying everything is up to snuff like thats going to happen if this is not taken care of. I think this maybe where he has his license so Im going to be very interested in getting that name so I can log a complaint. The electrical is a major issue that was suppose to be inspected by the province but if they inspected it they did a crappy job. As for the plumbing I thought that was suppose to be inspected too but found out when I first complained to the builder ( yes I mention the shower leak and it was not fixed then didnt know about the other yet) I found out he and his worker did the shower, sinks and the washer hook up. No wonder they leak. Something about the plumber not showing up on time and it saving time and money. WHAT. But he did say that the plumber had to install the actual lines to the areas.
Old 09-12-2009, 04:40 PM   #22
muskiedad Male
the one who babbles

muskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legend

Rural areas don't have to be up to code??? WTF? The code is the code! Esp. with electrical it is there to protect you! And when you mention breakers tripping something is wrong here. Who told you about the code issues? Contractor or the building inspector? Oh please tell me you have electrical permits? And inspections? Bathroom breaker is tripping? What is that? Unless you are overloading the circuits it should not happen and bathroom is on GFI is it not? It should trip the GFI not at the breaker panel. I am sorry but if a contractor told me it does not have to be up to code (and things are tripping already) I would be running from this contractor. Seriously. You write "if they inspected it". With your permits there is provision for the inspection...........and a paper trail. For your own sake find out from your building dept about the permits and inspections.....dont take this contractors word for it. There are provincial codes but inspection is generally a municipal thing, at least here in Ontario.

As for the plumbing stuff you wrote about yes there should be plumbing permits and inspections which are signed off on by the inspector. You should have a paper trail for this stuff too. Please tell me you have permits and inspections......please!!!!! As for the g/c doing the installs its not a problem but from I have heard so far, as for saving money I bet he charged you the licensed plumber rate and pocketed the difference.

Confused I hope I am totally over reacting but you have filled me with dread and horror based on what you have written. If the electrical IS NOT passed by your inspector and house burns down your insurance can be void. And if this guy is cutting corners as it sounds, your plumbing can be substandard. Slow drains if it is not vented according to code (hence the reason why codes are there!). Could be insufficient pressure in the lines. Any number of things.

The permits and the inspections are there to protect you! They establish a minimum standard of work which must be met so that you have properly operating and safe systems in the house. (PLease tell me you have building permits for structure too which are inspected and passed......).

Sorry to be so long winded here but your story has raised a zillion red flags for me just sitting here at my computer reading this. And a g/c who has only one contact number is not one I want to deal with. Sounds like he wants the weekend off.

Oh by the way, the repainting. If you specified colour "X" and he put on colour "Y", then he repaints it at his expense. And make sure you get the product you specified, not the same colour in a cheaper product. Or, let him do it his way and deduct the repainting from his holdback. He is way off base here. Do not let him pull this stunt.
Old 09-13-2009, 01:28 AM   #23
LSL Female
The blunt one;)

LSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support Legend

I am assuming, since there is a contractor, that there was a contract in place that specified colors, specs, and so on. If there are major problems with the house, then the contractor must honor that contract. It's enforceable in a court of law and you could sue for breach of contract.

Has his last payment for services been paid? You could withhold that as well.

Also, even rural areas have codes that have to be followed.

AND, if the water is leaking on the outside and spraying, what about on the inside? UGH. I would be having a hayday all over the builder, contractor, code inspectors and so on. I would be screaming ______ murder.
Old 09-13-2009, 09:32 AM   #24
Bubba'sDad
Banned For Spam

confused - the contract is the key...along with the permits...if you have both, you have leverage and can work with it...

if you don't have either, or worse yet, neither, you are really up 's creek...

if you want email me the contract, i'll look it over...

since you are in canada, i don't know their licensing/permitting laws, but there are areas in the states that the code is arbitrary...

mostly rural areas, where the town has 1 inspector for all trades, who doesn't know anything about any particular trade...sucks, but true...

now, this doesn't preempt the contractor from making sure everything works, just from following all the codes to the letter...
Old 09-14-2009, 11:38 AM   #25
confused1996 Female
Board Beacon Parent

I was told that everything was inspected. There was a permit for the electrician on the picture window during the building process its not there anymore so I have no name. I have not heard from the contractor yet and its 10 in the morning here on Monday. I went throu a realtor for the sale and contractor from what the realtor has just told me he dropped the ball on the specs thing never got one from the builder just went by word of mouth. Im royally pissed on this one. At the moment if I wasnt at work I think I would be saying some not so nice words but Im holding my tongue.
As for the painting yes even his realtor says I had two colours that I was suppose to be able to pick which I did and he did understand why the builder didnt use them.
I have asked my lawyer to ask for the inspection reports or atleast get something stating they passed.
He already has a inspection for the well and the septic they both passed. The foundation as inspected I do beleive because that is what the builder waited 3 weeks for. Plumbing was inspected only when the plumbing in the wall to bathroom and kitchen was done. The hookups to the washer, the shower, and sink where done later. Thats where the leaks seem to be coming from.
Ill keep you all informed about the process. If any. Oh and Lisa there is no way that guy is getting any of the hold back until everything passes and or is fixed.
Old 09-14-2009, 12:10 PM   #26
Bluemoon Female
just an old hippie chick

So sorry you are having to go through all this! What a huge PITA!!!! This should have been a joyful time for you!

Old 09-14-2009, 02:07 PM   #27
confused1996 Female
Board Beacon Parent

Thanks Blue.
Just got a call from the builder. He says he will meet me at the house tonight to see what is wrong with the electrical and plumbing. Still say no way on painting so that is one spot I see no way of solving. He says if I push it he will charge me for this and that. Whatever he can find is pretty much the idea I get from it. Ill try to get on tonight to tell you what happened. I did ask him how the electrical passed inspection when the breakers keep on being tripped between the bathroom and bedroom. He says he will have to see what is going on. Says it could be something I have plugged into the bedroom plugs that is tripping it. I only had a lamp plugged in at the time I was testing it so that makes no sense. Wish me luck. This sounds like its going to be a fight.
Old 09-14-2009, 02:18 PM   #28
comingup4air Female
Putting my child first...

comingup4air Is Rocken These Boards With Supportcomingup4air Is Rocken These Boards With Supportcomingup4air Is Rocken These Boards With Supportcomingup4air Is Rocken These Boards With Supportcomingup4air Is Rocken These Boards With Supportcomingup4air Is Rocken These Boards With Supportcomingup4air Is Rocken These Boards With Supportcomingup4air Is Rocken These Boards With Supportcomingup4air Is Rocken These Boards With Supportcomingup4air Is Rocken These Boards With Support

Definitely wishing you good luck on this one. You shouldn't NEED it, but it sounds like in this case you might. Don't let him get away with things!!! Although, I know that's easier said than done. Thinking of you and hope things get resolved with this soon!!
comingup4air is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 02:31 PM   #29
Bubba'sDad
Banned For Spam

Confused, send me a detailed email of your electrical issues. For example, do the circuit breakers trip when nothing is plugged in? When a light switch is turned on? When something specific is plugged in?

Can you reset the breaker? Is it the breaker or the gfci that is tripping?
Old 09-14-2009, 05:05 PM   #30
confused1996 Female
Board Beacon Parent

My son just called the builder is there now. WTF I think he is trying to avoid me. I have 1 more hour before can get off. I hope he is still there when I get home.
Oh Ry says the breaker said the breaker for the bedroom is bad so hes going to replace it. Does that make sense because why if only the bedroom breaker is bad is the bathroom one tripping it??? When I asked Ry if he could take the phone to him Ry told me he just left to get a new breaker. I told Ry to call me when he gets back so I can talk to him.
Old 09-14-2009, 06:46 PM   #31
muskiedad Male
the one who babbles

You wrote you were told things were inspected....but I would still want to see a piece of paper from the inspector! It could have been inspected...doesn't mean that it passed inspection though! As for the plumbing, was there a pressure test done? Again your municipality should have these things on file.....DONT take the word of the builder on this. The electrical could be a lot of things....hard to tell from this chair, but it needs attention.

As for the painting....I would recommend ignoring it for now. Have someone come in and do it and subtract that from the holdback. If you push it now the builder will do a crappy job and still expect to be paid. He has made it clear that if you push it he will charge you for other stuff to make it up...so just use your leverage (the holdback) and don't make too much of an issue, it is only paint. I hope the "new breaker" is not substituting a 20 amp for a 15 amp circuit! I once knew some people with a fuse panel and a contractor "fixed" their troubles by putting in higher rated fuses....

Stand firm here. I have a feeling he near the end of the job and his overhead may have been more and he is trying to get out with his profit intact.
Old 09-15-2009, 08:54 AM   #32
confused1996 Female
Board Beacon Parent

Well when I got home he wasnt there. Ry Forgot to call me when He got bacl. Cant blame the kid. My dial up wouldnt work so I couldnt get on last night. The bathroom breaker isnt tripping the bedroom one or the other way around anymore. I will check on that amp thing thank for mentioning it muskie.
He from what Ry says had his helper fix the plumbing leaks. The shower is not leaking I checked that one. I started a load in the washer and there is still a little leak but I think it may be the washer on the hose so Im going to get another and go from there.
He didnt fix the sink faucet that he broke when he installed it but Ill make him do it when he comes back to install the cabinet doors.
Your right muskie I think the only thing I can do is get someone else to paint and take it off the holdback.
Oh BD my realtor is looking for a sepc he thought he may have had signed by the builder when we first met him Ill scan it in when and if he finds it and send it to you if you dont mind.
Thanks muskie and BD I apprieciated all the good and helpful advice. You have made me more sure that this is not me overreacting and being picky.