Wild Dancing Thanksgivng Turkey YIKES!......bees - Single Parents Forum: Single Family Voices
All forums, topics and discussions are geared to single parents and the issues faced with single parenting.
Support a single parent today and one will support you back!

Go Back   Single Parents Forum: Single Family Voices >
(``'·.¸(``'·.¸ Tips, Tricks & Ideas ¸.·'´´)¸.·'´´)
> Home, Garden & Living > Home Improvement

~ Donate Today ~ PLEASE

Old 09-18-2010, 04:52 PM   #1
whackedwooly Female
Parent on Board

whackedwooly has a brilliant futurewhackedwooly has a brilliant futurewhackedwooly has a brilliant future
Default YIKES!......bees

Does anyone know how to kill a bees nest that is in the ground? They are not yellow jackets. They are the bigger, rounder furrier ones. Someone told me to pour gas down the hole. Must confess it makes me a little nervous.

Any other ideas!

Thanks.
whackedwooly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 05:26 PM   #2
Dad1st4boys Male
Failure is not an Option.

Dad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of Support
Default Re: YIKES!......bees

If they are honey bees, a bee keeper may like to get them.
Dad1st4boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 05:58 PM   #3
Dad of 3 + 3 Male
Lively & Zealous Parent

Dad of 3 + 3 is a glorious beacon of lightDad of 3 + 3 is a glorious beacon of light

Chlorine bleach, the cheap stuff.

You might need some spray bee killer to get close to the hole.

Things Get Better with age ...
I'm approaching Magnificent

Dad of 3 + 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 07:58 PM   #4
FlyingDevildog Male
Banned

FlyingDevildog has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDevildog has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDevildog has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDevildog has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDevildog has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDevildog has a reputation beyond repute

like dad said, if honey bees call a bee keeper.
if not mix a bucket of soap and water, like if you are going to wash your car, then pore it down the hole.
the soap helps the water stick closer to the bee body and they can't breath.
works also outside when pinicing, small dish with M.Dew in it and a little soap. they go for the dew and slip in and drown.

Dawg
FlyingDevildog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 10:27 PM   #5
muskiedad Male
the one who babbles

muskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legend

I've done it just by soaking the nest with a garden hose....found them one day by accident with a weedeater.......I can sure run when I have to!!!
Wait till it's night time and cooled off, they will all be "home" and less active.
muskiedad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 11:49 PM   #6
Re-Mom Female
Mainiac

Re-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of Support

I mowed over one once, it wasn't pretty... Go out after dusk or before dawn when they are in the nest and "spray the living heck out of it" When they go to leave the nest they fly through the stuff and die.

Call me if you need a delivery....

|^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||
|.........WINE TRUCK.........| ||'|";, ___.
|_..._..._______===|=||_|__|..., ] -)
"(@)'(@)"" "''"**|(@)(@)*****''(@)
Re-Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 12:04 AM   #7
muskiedad Male
the one who babbles

muskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legend

Not sure about some sprays/poisons, but some are contact only, not residual sprays.
A few weeks ago we had a huge nest of bald faced hornets, watermelon sized hanging from a cedar tree. I got the foaming spray, went out with my son at night, he held the flashlight and I put the nozzle in the nest and sprayed.
I saved the nest the for the school and it's science class. Once those little stinging bugs are gone the nest is fascinating!
Old 09-19-2010, 12:24 AM   #8
Re-Mom Female
Mainiac

Re-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of Support

They are likely wasps.. ground wasps are one possibility, smaller sized. I had those at the old house. The ones I ran over were larger than what we had been told ground wasps were... but their nest was in the ground so who knows!

I'll tell you, I've never felt pain like that in my life, 9 times in the leg. I ran like ____. All those science shows I watched paid off. They said just keep running they won't go a certain distance from the next and VOILA, appears to be true!

|^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||
Old 09-19-2010, 12:30 AM   #9
idig Female
SFV JUNKIE!!!

idig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legend

Quote:
Like honey bees, Bumblebees are social insects, but they live in much smaller colonies, there may be less than 50 bees in a bumblebee colony. They are organised in a similar way to honeybees with a single queen for most of the year, and a group of female workers and male drones.

Bumblebees typically live in nests in the ground, often holes that have been abandoned by mice and other rodents. They build their nest from wax secreted by the queen and by the workers. The wax "pots" that they construct are used to store small quantities of honey and as incubation chambers for the young larvae.

The honey stores in a bumblebee colony are usually quite small. The stores are not so important to bumblebees though, because they do not need them to survive the winter, and they are also capable of collecting new supplies in much more adverse conditions than honey bees can cope with. This is in part because bumblebees have a limited control of their body temperature - an unusual ability for insects.

Unlike honey bees, the bumblebee colony does not survive the winter as a group. Towards the end of the year, the colony will raise several new queen bees who mate in the autumn and then find somewhere sheltered to overwinter. In the spring, the new queens will look for a suitable nest site and start building and rearing a colony from scratch.

Worker and queen bumble bees can sting, but they are very docile and will almost never do so. If their nest is threatened, then they may be tempted to sting, but usually the only time you'll be stung by a bumblebee is if you sit or stand on one.

Bumblebees are about 1/2 an inch in length, but slightly fatter than honey bees with a completely furry thorax and abdomen. The abdomen is striped with various colours depending on species, the stripes can be yellow, white, orange, black or red.
I have them, they love my flowers. They don't bother me if I don't bother them. Never been so unfortunate to mow over their nests though
Old 09-19-2010, 12:35 AM   #10
Re-Mom Female
Mainiac

Quote:
Originally Posted by SueP View Post
I mowed over one once, it wasn't pretty... Go out after dusk or before dawn when they are in the nest and "spray the living heck out of it" When they go to leave the nest they fly through the stuff and die.
You are all so nice with the organic solutions, soap, mountain dew, etc.. I say go for the kill and don't turn back until the job is done! Those spray cans can spray from a good solid distance!

In fact, I've heard they are a great solution if you don't want to own a gun but fear somebody coming in your home as they'll shoot right down a hallway

I do recycle, well and consistently... but when it comes to bee's and intruders I'm all about the chemical sprays!

|^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||
Old 09-19-2010, 12:42 AM   #11
idig Female
SFV JUNKIE!!!

idig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legend

Yeah, if you are going after something stinging I am a big fan of the long distance cans of stuff! Wasps, hornets and the like I have no sympathy for, but usually bees leave me alone. Mine must nest somewhere that doesn't get mowed....

I sure as heck don't want to get too close to something with a stinger I am attacking!

Sue, yours sound like wasps or yellow jackets, but WW's sound like bumblebees, pretty harmless little things.
Old 09-19-2010, 12:57 AM   #12
Re-Mom Female
Mainiac

Who wants to risk these things though... LOL! I actually have a ton of bees in my pool area for about 2 weeks during the summer, hate the things. They are the teeny yellow things, are those yellowjackets? They seem like they bite or something. Annoying buggers to say the least and really ruin the pool fun for a few weeks. I may try the mountain dew and soap. I remember my parents putting out pb and honey, I always felt like that was as dumb as feeding the bears around your campsite!

|^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||
Old 09-19-2010, 01:21 AM   #13
idig Female
SFV JUNKIE!!!

Teeny yellow sound like yellow jackets and they are evil little stinging things!
Old 09-19-2010, 01:45 AM   #14
muskiedad Male
the one who babbles

When it comes to those types of creatures I don't care if it's "organic" I just want them gone. I have wasp traps on the patio to try to control the population, but a nest? Nope, gonna wipe it out, sorry.
Old 09-19-2010, 11:23 AM   #15
whackedwooly Female
Parent on Board

whackedwooly has a brilliant futurewhackedwooly has a brilliant futurewhackedwooly has a brilliant future

Thanks guys for all the suggestions.

Idig, your post on the bumblebees was right on. They really aren't a huge bother and now that I know that they don't usually sting I think I will wait and let them die off for the winter and then see what spring will hold. It was an old chipmunk hole too. Amazing what happens when you google.

Wish I could ship them down to you!
whackedwooly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 12:15 PM   #16
muskiedad Male
the one who babbles

Idig wants all our stinging insects? Cool......let me gather them up. I know I've got bumble bees here, the odd honeybee, lots of wasps, hornets ....oh let me get a big jar!
I was surprised about "my" bald faced hornets, they will sting you many many times, but they also bite while they sting! Never heard of that happening, but they get you with both ends.
Old 09-19-2010, 01:49 PM   #17
idig Female
SFV JUNKIE!!!

Hey, whoa, slow down there! I am ok with bumblebees and honeybees. They only mess with you if you mess with them. Hornets and wasps are another thing completely!
Old 09-19-2010, 02:02 PM   #18
Bluemoon Female
just an old hippie chick

Bluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support Legend

I like those big fat furry bees. I have never had one threaten me in any way.

Once I had a swarm of honeybees that made me nervouse, but it turned out to be no worry at all. I'll post a pic....nevermind, I can't find it....

To disagree, one doesn't have to be disagreeable. ~Barry M. Goldwater and Jack Casserly, Goldwater

Life is all about how you handle Plan B. ~ off a Blue Mountain Arts calendar
Bluemoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 08:27 PM   #19
Re-Mom Female
Mainiac

How did I not notice your Maine location? My wasps appear to have begun in an old chipmunk hole, too. I have a few holes I kind of don't want to know what the heck lives down there, do woodchucks live under ground cause these holes are about 4-6 inches in diameter?
Quote:
Originally Posted by whackedwooly View Post
Thanks guys for all the suggestions.

Idig, your post on the bumblebees was right on. They really aren't a huge bother and now that I know that they don't usually sting I think I will wait and let them die off for the winter and then see what spring will hold. It was an old chipmunk hole too. Amazing what happens when you google.

Wish I could ship them down to you!

|^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||
Old 09-24-2010, 09:34 PM   #20
muskiedad Male
the one who babbles

Could be rabbit, skunk, woodchuck......or a wombeezil. Kinda big for chipmunks. I got rid of groundhogs by dumping the cat litter down the hole! They didn't like it and moved away! Kind of an "organic" cure.
Old 09-25-2010, 08:55 PM   #21
trebor Male
Board Beacon Parent

trebor Has Heart and Soul of an Angeltrebor Has Heart and Soul of an Angeltrebor Has Heart and Soul of an Angeltrebor Has Heart and Soul of an Angeltrebor Has Heart and Soul of an Angeltrebor Has Heart and Soul of an Angeltrebor Has Heart and Soul of an Angeltrebor Has Heart and Soul of an Angeltrebor Has Heart and Soul of an Angeltrebor Has Heart and Soul of an Angeltrebor Has Heart and Soul of an Angel

Don't kill the bees if you don't have to. Every year we lose more and more of the overall Bee population. If that continues we will begin to lose plant species. And then??

Wasps and hornets,.. SPRAY THEM!
trebor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 09:00 PM   #22
muskiedad Male
the one who babbles

Yes, trebor I read somewhere about all the pollination they do and if it were not for them, we'd have no crops etc. Amazing what those little guys do. But agree with you on hornets etc!
Old 09-25-2010, 09:39 PM   #23
idig Female
SFV JUNKIE!!!

My grandkids don't know what to think when I tell them not to worry when they see a spider or a bee. They look at me like I sprouted another head. But I tell them that bees help our flowers and that spiders eat the bad bugs. The only spiders we need to be afraid of here are ones that hide (black widows and brown recluse). The big, scary looking guys eat the bugs that bug us, let them be. Bees are good guys and they only sting in self defense.

All bets are off for wasps, hornets, roaches, and camel crickets.
Old 09-25-2010, 09:59 PM   #24
trebor Male
Board Beacon Parent

trebor Has Heart and Soul of an Angeltrebor Has Heart and Soul of an Angeltrebor Has Heart and Soul of an Angeltrebor Has Heart and Soul of an Angeltrebor Has Heart and Soul of an Angeltrebor Has Heart and Soul of an Angeltrebor Has Heart and Soul of an Angeltrebor Has Heart and Soul of an Angeltrebor Has Heart and Soul of an Angeltrebor Has Heart and Soul of an Angeltrebor Has Heart and Soul of an Angel

Yeah Brown Recluses are a big deal here. Everyone that gets bitten swears it was a recluse! Even they aren't THAT dangerous to a healthy adult. I have endured many spider bites on the job but rarely have any major reaction. I've never tangled with a widow though.

On the subject of insects, we are having a terrible year for all types of biting, stinging, crawling, jumping and flying little critters. We had a major flood in May, could this have something to do with it? What about B'ham? Is anyone noticing more insects?
trebor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 10:07 PM   #25
muskiedad Male
the one who babbles

My oldest son has a "pet" spider outside his bedroom window and it's cool to watch it. Seems everynight at bedtime, he has his beside light on, which attracts moths. A moth gets stuck and out comes the spider for a late night snack. It's kinda cool to watch.
Old 09-25-2010, 10:36 PM   #26
idig Female
SFV JUNKIE!!!

The bugs are bad this year, really bad. We had no floods but lots of rainfall, up until the last month. It seems logical that the more rain, the more food, the more bugs. IDK, we had a cold winter and I have always been told and learned in college a million years ago, that insect populations decline here after a cold winter. Sure hasn't been that way this year though.