Wild Dancing Thanksgivng Turkey Stinking electric water heater! - Single Parents Forum: Single Family Voices
All forums, topics and discussions are geared to single parents and the issues faced with single parenting.
Support a single parent today and one will support you back!

Go Back   Single Parents Forum: Single Family Voices >
(``'·.¸(``'·.¸ Tips, Tricks & Ideas ¸.·'´´)¸.·'´´)
> Home, Garden & Living > Home Improvement

~ Donate Today ~ PLEASE

Old 04-23-2012, 02:07 PM   #1
whackedwooly Female
Parent on Board

whackedwooly has a brilliant futurewhackedwooly has a brilliant futurewhackedwooly has a brilliant future
Default Stinking electric water heater!

Well the time has come to replace my water heater. It is a 40 gallon lower end model. I would like a better one (don't care what kind) and I was quoted by one company to the fine tune of about $850. Is it my imagination or does that seem ridiculously high priced?! I know it depends on where you live as too an hourly rate and also how much of a warranty it would come with. I had called the guy back to get him to breakdown the cost of the heater vs the labor and he said they just charge by the job. I have seen other work they have done and people I know that have used them are satisfied with their work. I know this is a broad question but any answers would be great.

BTW, washing machine crapped the bed too......SPECTACULAR!!!
whackedwooly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 02:14 PM   #2
comingup4air Female
Putting my child first...

comingup4air Is Rocken These Boards With Supportcomingup4air Is Rocken These Boards With Supportcomingup4air Is Rocken These Boards With Supportcomingup4air Is Rocken These Boards With Supportcomingup4air Is Rocken These Boards With Supportcomingup4air Is Rocken These Boards With Supportcomingup4air Is Rocken These Boards With Supportcomingup4air Is Rocken These Boards With Supportcomingup4air Is Rocken These Boards With Supportcomingup4air Is Rocken These Boards With Support
Default Re: Stinking electric water heater!

I bet Muskie and some others will have great advice. I think that IS a lot and you can totally get other quotes. I know some people that have gone to Lowes or HD and bought the thing themselves and asked about any extra needed parts and then got a guy in there by the hour and only had to pay that. I think a WH doesn't even take an hour? Worth looking into, I think.
comingup4air is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 02:40 PM   #3
DBCooper Male
Banned For Spam

DBCooper Has Heart and Soul of an AngelDBCooper Has Heart and Soul of an AngelDBCooper Has Heart and Soul of an AngelDBCooper Has Heart and Soul of an AngelDBCooper Has Heart and Soul of an AngelDBCooper Has Heart and Soul of an AngelDBCooper Has Heart and Soul of an AngelDBCooper Has Heart and Soul of an AngelDBCooper Has Heart and Soul of an AngelDBCooper Has Heart and Soul of an AngelDBCooper Has Heart and Soul of an Angel

It's a min 4 hr job from start to finish including setup and clean up. Add in some time for problems and it's a 5 hr+ job.

Decent water heater is between $300-350 out the door.

$850 is a middle of the road price for a licenced, insured (in case the screw up and flood the basement) company.

Find a qualified handyman, might be able to get down to $500-600.

Find an unqualified handyman, can get sub $500
DBCooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 03:13 PM   #4
muskiedad Male
the one who babbles

muskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legend

I didn't think that was that outrageous to replace it...but it is still a lot of money whether it is a "fair" price or not. DB would know better than I, but is it leaking? Elements burned out? If it's elements it may be a cheaper fix than a whole new tank.
muskiedad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 03:19 PM   #5
Re-Mom Female
Mainiac

Re-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of Support

I've heard the only difference in most water heaters is the warranty... go with the 300ish model (is that correct DB????)

Call me if you need a delivery....

|^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||
|.........WINE TRUCK.........| ||'|";, ___.
|_..._..._______===|=||_|__|..., ] -)
"(@)'(@)"" "''"**|(@)(@)*****''(@)
Re-Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 03:21 PM   #6
whackedwooly Female
Parent on Board

whackedwooly has a brilliant futurewhackedwooly has a brilliant futurewhackedwooly has a brilliant future

He said the thermostat needed to be replaced. He also said he has no idea how long the elements would last. It is 10 yrs old so who knows. He quoted me $375 just for the thermostat. I thought replacing it would be the better move.

Yes RM that is what I see as well. The difference between a 6yr warranty and a 9 is about $150 to $200. I think mine was a 6 yr and I got 10. It's a **** shoot!
Old 04-23-2012, 03:43 PM   #7
sara1 Female
Setting New Standards

sara1 Has Heart and Soul of an Angelsara1 Has Heart and Soul of an Angelsara1 Has Heart and Soul of an Angelsara1 Has Heart and Soul of an Angelsara1 Has Heart and Soul of an Angelsara1 Has Heart and Soul of an Angelsara1 Has Heart and Soul of an Angelsara1 Has Heart and Soul of an Angelsara1 Has Heart and Soul of an Angelsara1 Has Heart and Soul of an Angelsara1 Has Heart and Soul of an Angel

I replaced my heating element myself years ago (But I flooded my house as well....oops) but haven't done the thermostat.
Old 04-23-2012, 03:45 PM   #8
DBCooper Male
Banned For Spam

DBCooper Has Heart and Soul of an AngelDBCooper Has Heart and Soul of an AngelDBCooper Has Heart and Soul of an AngelDBCooper Has Heart and Soul of an AngelDBCooper Has Heart and Soul of an AngelDBCooper Has Heart and Soul of an AngelDBCooper Has Heart and Soul of an AngelDBCooper Has Heart and Soul of an AngelDBCooper Has Heart and Soul of an AngelDBCooper Has Heart and Soul of an AngelDBCooper Has Heart and Soul of an Angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by sara1 View Post
I replaced my heating element myself years ago (But I flooded my house as well....oops) but haven't done the thermostat.
that's why you empty the tank first...just saying...
Old 04-23-2012, 03:47 PM   #9
muskiedad Male
the one who babbles

muskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legend

but if you were quickly it won't leak...much.........
Old 04-23-2012, 03:52 PM   #10
DBCooper Male
Banned For Spam

Quote:
Originally Posted by muskiedad View Post
but if you were quickly it won't leak...much.........
yeah....wouldn't recommend that for a virgin...
Old 04-23-2012, 03:58 PM   #11
sara1 Female
Setting New Standards

sara1 Has Heart and Soul of an Angelsara1 Has Heart and Soul of an Angelsara1 Has Heart and Soul of an Angelsara1 Has Heart and Soul of an Angelsara1 Has Heart and Soul of an Angelsara1 Has Heart and Soul of an Angelsara1 Has Heart and Soul of an Angelsara1 Has Heart and Soul of an Angelsara1 Has Heart and Soul of an Angelsara1 Has Heart and Soul of an Angelsara1 Has Heart and Soul of an Angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBCooper View Post
that's why you empty the tank first...just saying...
That is exactly what I did......all over my floor.
Old 04-23-2012, 04:13 PM   #12
DBCooper Male
Banned For Spam

i'd have used a hose...but that's just me...
Old 04-23-2012, 04:40 PM   #13
muskiedad Male
the one who babbles

it won't leak the first time will it?
Old 04-23-2012, 06:50 PM   #14
MotherBoard Female
Making The Magic Happen
Mother Of The Board

MotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of Support

check with your elecric company, they have rebates to upgrade to one, like a solar, or heat pump, and the rebate may bring it down to the same price as an electric.

You power company may have a list of people too.

I got rid of a 30plus year old water heater for a heat pump type and got a 500 rebate check for it, so all in all, it turned out a 50 gallon heat pump cost me 600plus and was installed

just an idea
https://www.facebook.com/soloParent
MotherBoard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 07:08 PM   #15
whackedwooly Female
Parent on Board

I went to Lowe's this afternoon and found out his price is pretty much right on with Lowe's. I just need to find out the warranty on the heater. Lowe's quoted $400 for the labor and then the cost of the heater. One with a 6 yr warranty was like $250 and then one with a 9 yr warranty was $429 and 12 yr warranty was $489. So if the one I get has at least a 9 yr warranty we are good!!
Old 04-23-2012, 07:17 PM   #16
Bluemoon Female
just an old hippie chick

Bluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support Legend

Good luck, WW! Sorry you have to deal with it...

To disagree, one doesn't have to be disagreeable. ~Barry M. Goldwater and Jack Casserly, Goldwater

Life is all about how you handle Plan B. ~ off a Blue Mountain Arts calendar
Bluemoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 11:37 AM   #17
cf829 Female
At A loss for Words - NOT!

cf829 Has Heart and Soul of an Angelcf829 Has Heart and Soul of an Angelcf829 Has Heart and Soul of an Angelcf829 Has Heart and Soul of an Angelcf829 Has Heart and Soul of an Angelcf829 Has Heart and Soul of an Angelcf829 Has Heart and Soul of an Angelcf829 Has Heart and Soul of an Angelcf829 Has Heart and Soul of an Angelcf829 Has Heart and Soul of an Angelcf829 Has Heart and Soul of an Angel

That's pretty standard. My dad does HVAC work, including water heaters and the like, and he said that's about average for him. However he did say that price did include servicing for 6 mo if necessary, within his business anyway.
cf829 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 12:30 PM   #18
Woodsimply Female
Thinks too much

Woodsimply Has Heart and Soul of an AngelWoodsimply Has Heart and Soul of an AngelWoodsimply Has Heart and Soul of an AngelWoodsimply Has Heart and Soul of an AngelWoodsimply Has Heart and Soul of an AngelWoodsimply Has Heart and Soul of an AngelWoodsimply Has Heart and Soul of an AngelWoodsimply Has Heart and Soul of an AngelWoodsimply Has Heart and Soul of an AngelWoodsimply Has Heart and Soul of an AngelWoodsimply Has Heart and Soul of an Angel

Sorry WW. That sucks! I just got through a financial binge myself; exterminator, car(twice).

Wondering what the people in our lives think when we pop up with these random questions due to issues our virtual friends are having. Just a thought to cf829's post.

You cannot get an answer, if you do not ask the question. Say what you need to say.
~Just me
Woodsimply is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 02:01 PM   #19
cf829 Female

cf829 Has Heart and Soul of an Angelcf829 Has Heart and Soul of an Angelcf829 Has Heart and Soul of an Angelcf829 Has Heart and Soul of an Angelcf829 Has Heart and Soul of an Angelcf829 Has Heart and Soul of an Angelcf829 Has Heart and Soul of an Angelcf829 Has Heart and Soul of an Angelcf829 Has Heart and Soul of an Angelcf829 Has Heart and Soul of an Angelcf829 Has Heart and Soul of an Angel

Haha I just told him I am a member of a single parent support group and someone was asking about water heater installation pricing. He also said he does payment plans- not sure if other companies would.
Old 04-24-2012, 02:33 PM   #20
Woodsimply Female
Thinks too much

Woodsimply Has Heart and Soul of an AngelWoodsimply Has Heart and Soul of an AngelWoodsimply Has Heart and Soul of an AngelWoodsimply Has Heart and Soul of an AngelWoodsimply Has Heart and Soul of an AngelWoodsimply Has Heart and Soul of an AngelWoodsimply Has Heart and Soul of an AngelWoodsimply Has Heart and Soul of an AngelWoodsimply Has Heart and Soul of an AngelWoodsimply Has Heart and Soul of an AngelWoodsimply Has Heart and Soul of an Angel

!
I find myself mentioning things from here from time to time. The funny scenarios mostly, how we are all a little "off" and some of the crazy conversations threads lead to...

You cannot get an answer, if you do not ask the question. Say what you need to say.
~Just me
Woodsimply is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 02:51 PM   #21
cf829 Female

Ah yes.... you have to be a little "off" to make it as a single parent or you'd lose your marbles!! :P
Old 04-24-2012, 08:28 PM   #22
whackedwooly Female
Parent on Board

Now that I have the water heater thing under control I also solved my washing machine problem. Found a 3 yr old Kenmore for $75 on Craig's List. SCORE!!
Old 04-24-2012, 10:06 PM   #23
muskiedad Male
the one who babbles

That is great......although still more expenditures none of us want! Glad you found a deal.
Old 04-25-2012, 08:21 PM   #24
whackedwooly Female
Parent on Board

FYI...just installed my new, used washing machine. Had trouble with it leaking where I had to connect the water hose from the washer to the drain hose. Clamps didn't work, nor did a new thing a ma jig to connect the two. So the guy at the hardware store told me about Rescue tape. BEST THING EVER!!!
Wrap that stuff around the leaking part and PRESTO, nor more leaks.

I will definately be keeping that on hand.

I also think my daughter has found her calling. I think she is more inclined to a trade rather than a 4 yr college. I actually have been mentioning the military as well. Planting those seeds are always good.
Old 04-25-2012, 08:27 PM   #25
muskiedad Male
the one who babbles

I was just about to say did you put tape on the threads........
Old 04-25-2012, 08:28 PM   #26
MotherBoard Female
Making The Magic Happen
Mother Of The Board

MotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of Support

Can you get any rebates to go towards for upgrading from you electric company?... IDK, my stuff around here is from the early 70's - harvest gold series. anything a few years old is an major up grade from me.

You go girl!
https://www.facebook.com/soloParent
MotherBoard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 08:30 PM   #27
Bluemoon Female
just an old hippie chick

Bluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support Legend

Well done! Glad you got it all solved.

To disagree, one doesn't have to be disagreeable. ~Barry M. Goldwater and Jack Casserly, Goldwater

Life is all about how you handle Plan B. ~ off a Blue Mountain Arts calendar
Bluemoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 08:37 PM   #28
Re-Mom Female
Mainiac

Re-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of Support

Nice work WW!!! (and E!)

Call me if you need a delivery....

|^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||
|.........WINE TRUCK.........| ||'|";, ___.
|_..._..._______===|=||_|__|..., ] -)
"(@)'(@)"" "''"**|(@)(@)*****''(@)
Re-Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 01:21 PM   #29
comingup4air Female

comingup4air Is Rocken These Boards With Supportcomingup4air Is Rocken These Boards With Supportcomingup4air Is Rocken These Boards With Supportcomingup4air Is Rocken These Boards With Supportcomingup4air Is Rocken These Boards With Supportcomingup4air Is Rocken These Boards With Supportcomingup4air Is Rocken These Boards With Supportcomingup4air Is Rocken These Boards With Supportcomingup4air Is Rocken These Boards With Supportcomingup4air Is Rocken These Boards With Support

WOOHOO!! Glad it's all set. :-)
Old 04-26-2012, 01:54 PM   #30
muskiedad Male
the one who babbles

Hate to say, but my mother always said "Things happen in threes......" so that is washing machine, water heater....and????? Let's hope my mom is wrong.
Old 04-26-2012, 02:08 PM   #31
comingup4air Female

HAHAHA...I was thinking that, too Muskie. I just wasn't going to SAY it. However, with me...it tends to be in 4's or 5's.
Old 04-26-2012, 07:06 PM   #32
whackedwooly Female
Parent on Board

Don't worry Muskie, I was thinking the same thing!! Just waiting for the other shoe to drop.
Old 05-07-2012, 11:14 AM   #33
whackedwooly Female
Parent on Board

Just an update on the water heater situation. I was originally quoted $850 for them to pick up and install water heater. I started asking around. The great thing about being a hairstylist is that I see so many people over the course of a day that I can usually find someone to do any job I am looking for. Anyway, got a name, called him and he said he would do it one night during the week or on a Sat morning. Ended up he did it for $250 plus would take away the old one if I got the water heater myself. DONE!!! Saved $250 on that deal!

Also the new, used washing machine....AMAZING!!!
Geez...the small things in life.
Old 05-07-2012, 12:38 PM   #34
comingup4air Female

That is AWESOME!! I love it when things work out as well as they can.
Old 05-07-2012, 12:45 PM   #35
DBCooper Male
Banned For Spam

What about the poor guy working for the plumber who was gonna charge $850. Now he might not be able to pay his mortgage/rent. Didnt work out for him
Old 05-07-2012, 02:41 PM   #36
momofTDR Female
Marja

momofTDR Is Rocken These Boards With SupportmomofTDR Is Rocken These Boards With SupportmomofTDR Is Rocken These Boards With SupportmomofTDR Is Rocken These Boards With SupportmomofTDR Is Rocken These Boards With SupportmomofTDR Is Rocken These Boards With SupportmomofTDR Is Rocken These Boards With SupportmomofTDR Is Rocken These Boards With SupportmomofTDR Is Rocken These Boards With SupportmomofTDR Is Rocken These Boards With SupportmomofTDR Is Rocken These Boards With Support

Glad you were able to save some money on the job!
Old 05-07-2012, 04:14 PM   #37
idig Female
SFV JUNKIE!!!

idig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by momofTDR View Post
Glad you were able to save some money on the job!
Me too!