Wild Dancing Thanksgivng Turkey Lawn mowers - Single Parents Forum: Single Family Voices
All forums, topics and discussions are geared to single parents and the issues faced with single parenting.
Support a single parent today and one will support you back!

Go Back   Single Parents Forum: Single Family Voices >
(``'·.¸(``'·.¸ Tips, Tricks & Ideas ¸.·'´´)¸.·'´´)
> Home, Garden & Living > Home Improvement

~ Donate Today ~ PLEASE

Old 05-30-2005, 04:37 PM   #1
mcd
On the Board

mcd is an unknown quantity at this point

I just bought a lawn mower. Got it home, filled it with gas and oil. Went to start it and found that the wire harness that is connected to the control drive--whatever, is cracked. Tried calling walmart--where I got it and no one in lawn and garden will answer. GGGGRRRR. This is after charging the lawn mower and filling it with a gas/oil combination that the previous owners left me, and it doesn't work, double ggggrrrr. Wish that things would just go easy for once. Just spent yesterday cleaning up after my 5 year old. Poor baby he had it coming out of both ends. Had to wash my bedding twice, clean the carpet, do a few loads of laundry. Then 2 of my other boys, after either playing playstation or out with their friends all day asked me what was for supper. They are 12 and 15--frozen food in the freezer!!!!
Ok. Had to vent. Guess I'll try calling walmart again.
mcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2005, 07:58 PM   #2
commander leftover Female
Board Beacon Parent

commander leftover is an unknown quantity at this point

Well, I don't know what to tell you, but I can totally sympathize. I too, was going my lawn yesterday. I primed up the carb, and pulled the control handle so I could pull start it, and the control cable snapped.

So here I am, looking out my window at the first sunny day in a week, watching the weeds grow taller.

I realized that I can't say my ex was good for nothing. He mowed the lawn once in exchange for a pork roast dinner.

Pastor says that we have church members looking to earn money for missions trips, and they will do yard work..
commander leftover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 12:47 AM   #3
mcd
On the Board

mcd is an unknown quantity at this point

One of my boys looked at the wire. I guess it was just the covering that was cracked, no broken wires or anything. I will just put tape over it. Wasn't a big deal after all, but you would think if you were going to spend that much money things could be in better shape.
mcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 06:33 PM   #4
jaydsdad
Setting New Standards

jaydsdad is an unknown quantity at this point

If that ever happens again leftover, you could try to clamp off the control wire with vicegrips temporarily to finish the job.

(...course I'm talking to leftover, definitely mechanically inclined, who is looking at her monitor saying "well duh JD...I know that")
jaydsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 08:07 PM   #5
Board Beacon Parent

Well, I got a bit upset, and yanked it out of the housing..

I think the spring that engages it siezed over the winter. When I get time, I may go beat it with a hammer..
Old 06-01-2005, 02:21 AM   #6
Dad of 3 + 3 Male
Lively & Zealous Parent

Dad of 3 + 3 is a glorious beacon of lightDad of 3 + 3 is a glorious beacon of light

Beat to fit. Paint to match.

Don't force it, get a bigger hammer.
Dad of 3 + 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 06:14 PM   #7
Board Beacon Parent

Soo.. The saga continues.. I've been battling with my beast, and I think I won the war. I got a new cable in, installed it, still wouldn't start.

Got a new spark plug, still no go. Then I got mad, and tore the carbarator off. Who knew?? It was full of water. So here's what I learned about small engines. There is a little thing called the float bowl. If you follow the fuel line that runs off the tank, you will find the carb. At the bottom of the carb, is a little bowl shaped thing. I don't know how it works, or what it does, but there is a bolt on the bottom of it that connects it to the carb.

If you don't cover your mower, water will get into the carb, and collect in the float bowl.. then your mower won't start!! Take off the gas cap, and dump out the gas (not on the lawn) then loosen the bolt on the float bowl. The water will run out. Dump a little gas in the tank to flush it through.

Tighten the bolt back up, and fill it with new gas. Mine started with one pull.
Old 06-09-2005, 06:17 PM   #8
Board Beacon Parent

Oh, yea.. It wasn't siezed, it operates the motor brake, and it's impossible to pull with your hand.

Praying helps too.
Old 06-09-2005, 07:44 PM   #9
mark uk
Board Blazen Parent

mark uk is an unknown quantity at this point

Iam glad my mower is electric.Just plug and go.Mind you my front lawn is only 16x16 feet and the back is only 30x30 feet.But I still hate cutting the grass.
But that's life.

But as the man said if it doesn't work get a hammer and if it still refuses get a bigger hammer.
mark uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 08:00 PM   #10
Board Beacon Parent

Quote:
Originally posted by mark uk:
[qb] Iam glad my mower is electric.. [/qb]
You have to tell me, Mark.. What kind of car do you drive?? I only ask because at work, we had some customers from Bellfast, it blew their mind that I drove a 2 door car with a 3.6 liter..(22miles per gallon highway) They didn't understand WHY a person would need a Ford truck with a 6 liter engine...

BTW, 92 octane is $2.10 USD/gallon right now..
Old 06-09-2005, 08:18 PM   #11
mark uk
Board Blazen Parent

Iam not allowed to drive because of eyesight.I can understand your customers suprise though.
An average car here does 40 miles per gallon at 56 mph.But Gas is almost $5 a gallon and our roads are not designed for large cars.Usually the biggest car on the roads are Range Rovers or Japanese copies such as Land Cruisers.But car tax and insurance costs put most cars/trucks off the road.
Old 06-10-2005, 02:57 AM   #12
Dad of 3 + 3 Male
Lively & Zealous Parent

Dad of 3 + 3 is a glorious beacon of lightDad of 3 + 3 is a glorious beacon of light

Leftover would you realy like the full explantion of how a carb works or just the basics.

The float in the float bowl is used to control fuel level which is critical to proper fuel mettering.
Old 06-10-2005, 08:56 PM   #13
Board Beacon Parent

Quote:
Originally posted by Dad of 3 + 3:
[qb] Leftover would you realy like the full explantion of how a carb works or just the basics?[/qb]
I'd just like to know how to start my mower after it's been sitting all winter. I don't have the extra cash to take it in, and besides I don't have a way to haul it.. I know I'm not the only one here who has those kind of annoyances.

I always think of how much easier things would be if my dad was still alive. But it's like I told sane one.. Convenience never produces character.

The float seemed really discolored, do those ever need replacing?
Old 06-11-2005, 04:42 AM   #14
Dad of 3 + 3 Male
Lively & Zealous Parent

The float only needs repalcing if it soaks up gas. If it is metal you can hear it slosh if its plastic it will be heavy.

Depending on age and usage, removing the cylinder head and cleaning the carbon out can help. It is not as hard as it sounds.

As the magneto is turned off by grounding and the kill lead can have a couple hundred volts on it, keeping the wires clean help with the spark. You should wash off the mower after use, under neath too. Just water or use a degreaser on the oily spots.

I will try to answer questions about anything mechanical as I have worked in a lot of different fields.
Old 06-12-2005, 04:53 PM   #15
mommytothirtylittletoes
On the Board

mommytothirtylittletoes is an unknown quantity at this point

Easiest lawn care plan ever...

1. Ditch the good-for-nothin' mower.

2. Apply a few cans on green spay paint to the lawn.

3. Kick back and relax, knowing that you'll not have to mow again all year.

mommytothirtylittletoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2005, 05:25 PM   #16
mark uk
Board Blazen Parent

Or plan B acquire some Astro-turf and never have to do it again,ever....