Wild Dancing Thanksgivng Turkey Floor tile questions... - Single Parents Forum: Single Family Voices
All forums, topics and discussions are geared to single parents and the issues faced with single parenting.
Support a single parent today and one will support you back!

Go Back   Single Parents Forum: Single Family Voices >
(``'·.¸(``'·.¸ Tips, Tricks & Ideas ¸.·'´´)¸.·'´´)
> Home, Garden & Living > Home Improvement

~ Donate Today ~ PLEASE

Old 09-03-2007, 10:43 AM   #1
astarte502
Active Board Parent

astarte502 is an unknown quantity at this point

The tile in my bathroom is driving me nuts. Its old and worn and scratched up (which caused dirt to be embedded in the scratches that I can't get out). I was thinking of trying to re-tile it myself, but i've never done it. Can I tile over the existing floor, or do I have to remove the old stuff? Is laying tile harder than it seems? And around the tub and toilet..do I use just regular caulking or is there something else I need to use?
Old 09-03-2007, 02:44 PM   #2
BigBobby Male
Setting New Standards

BigBobby has disabled reputation

What kind of tile? Is it ceramic or vinyl?

Ceramic is a lot nicer and more difficult to install, but I've known women who've done it before. Either way I'd suggest ripping up the old floor, but I've known people who didn't with vinyl floors. There can be asbestos in old flooring if you have an old house...

As for caulking, use something that says it's for kitchens and bathrooms. It'll probably be silicone and have anti-molding stuff in it...but really...just make sure you get something that says it's for bathrooms.
BigBobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 03:44 PM   #3
astarte502
Active Board Parent

The current floor is vinyl and I was going to lay new vinyl. Since i've never done it before, i'm afraid to venture and do ceramic by myself...though I would perfer it. The current floor doesn't look old enough to have asbestos. The style is very "90's"..it just looks like it took a good beating. LOL I'll be sure to look for bathroom stuff though. And around the base of the tub? Just scrape the old caulk and put new?

*sigh* Ok..there are TWO reasons I need a man. To move the fridge and put tile in my bathroom
Old 09-03-2007, 04:14 PM   #4
BigBobby Male
Setting New Standards

Quote:
Originally posted by astarte502:
*sigh* Ok..there are TWO reasons I need a man. To move the fridge and put tile in my bathroom
Lol...well, don't give up hope yet! I believe that you can do this. With the vinyl, the cheapest ones are like big stickers: You buy a box of them, peel the paper off of the back of each tile, and then stick them on the floor.

The next step up is what I put in my bathrooms. They called it VCT tile at the store, and it's similiar to what you see in office buildings (usually beige with speckles), but they have it in more bathroom friendly patterns. With those I had to put down coat of adhesive, let it dry (get tacky), and then lay the tiles down. They were much thicker than the sticker tiles, and would raise the floor more if you didn't pull the old one off first.

Heh...I'm pretty sure that any tiles you buy, will tell you that you should pull up the old floor first. For them to stick properly, you'll need a clean and flat surface. If you stick them directly on top of the old crumbling floor, your new floor will come up again soon. If you really don't want to rip up the old floor (which is a lot of work), then your best bet would be to lay a sheets of luan (very thin plywood) over the old floor and stick your new floor on that.

Once again...what you do mostly depends on how much you can raise your floor. Your bathtub probably won't be much different if it has the floor raised 3/8", but what about the doors to your cabinets? The doors to the room? Any radiators? You may need to replace your toilet some day too, so you should think about that...

Heh...but don't take this post to mean you can't do it! It's certainly within your power.

Later,
Bobby
Old 09-03-2007, 04:56 PM   #5
Don Male
At A loss for Words - NOT!

Don will become famous soon enough

Good input Bobby. Those VCT tiles are great aren't they, pattern all the way through etc. I've been installing them in some customer's rental homes lately for in the kitchens etc. at their request so that if a section of floor is damaged they can be heated up, removed, and new tile stuck in to replace just the damaged area instead of having to relay a whole new floor.

With that said though, I'm not really a fan of the square vinyl tiles in bathrooms, it still leaves seams that water can penetrate, but that's me. I much rather prefer sheet vinyl, no seams.
I always recommend that the old floor be pulled up prior to laying a new floor, that includes the underlayment (3/8" usually particle board) that sits on top of the subfloor, not just peeling up the old floor. This will involve removal of toilet that will be reinstalled with new mount bolts, wax seal and I always replace shutoff valve and feedline as well while the toilet is out. I also recommend to never caulk around the toilet to the floor, it can then hide when the wax seal/mount bolts are no longer functioning as they should and could cause subfloor/framing damage before you realize that there's a problem/leak. You can overlay an existing floor but you need to be real sure there is no existing water damage already there and you should still be removing the toilet so the new floor goes under it, besides that wax seals, mount bolts are really a maintenance thing anyway. Mount bolts should be checked for looseness on occasion, and wax seals mount bolts should be replaced on occasion.....well about every 8-10 years if there hasn't been any other problems with water damage or whatever.

Ceramic tile isn't too difficult to install as long as you do some reading ahead of time, google "install ceramic floor tile" or similar for a lot of good pointers. Though this will involve a tile cutter/wet saw which there are very inexpensive ones that can be purchased. One of the ones I use I purchased for less than $30 and it cuts whatever I need it to. You will definitely want to use tile backer board to glue to, hardiboard or cement tile board.....I use the hardiboard.
Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 07:28 PM   #6
astarte502
Active Board Parent

Thanks for the input guys! I emailed a friend of mine who has a husband who does this kind of stuff for a living and asked her if he'd mind helping me through this since i've never done it. I'm hoping he will and that i'll "get in his way" so I can just observe If my plan doesn't work, i'll try to do it by myself.
Old 09-03-2007, 07:28 PM   #7
astarte502
Active Board Parent

Thanks for the input guys! I emailed a friend of mine who has a husband who does this kind of stuff for a living and asked her if he'd mind helping me through this since i've never done it. I'm hoping he will and that i'll "get in his way" so I can just observe If my plan doesn't work, i'll try to do it by myself.
Old 09-03-2007, 09:51 PM   #8
BigBobby Male
Setting New Standards

Awww...hopefully we didn't scare you into asking for help!

Heh...actually, I hope that your friend's husband refuses and you're forced to figure out how to do it yourself. It'll make a better story anyway
Old 09-03-2007, 10:28 PM   #9
astarte502
Active Board Parent

LMAO! Thanks! It didn't even cross my mind that i'd have to do all THAT! LOL And take the toilet apart, the seal and blah, blah, blah? Yep..I hate carpeting in a bathroom, but maybe i'll just buy a LOT of rugs to put down if Troy won't help Ahhh...now my downstairs family room is bothering me...time to paint...
Old 09-06-2007, 01:07 AM   #10
astarte502
Active Board Parent

LOL! If you help me paint my place, i'll help you