Wild Dancing Thanksgivng Turkey Whatcha reading? - Single Parents Forum: Single Family Voices
All forums, topics and discussions are geared to single parents and the issues faced with single parenting.
Support a single parent today and one will support you back!

Go Back   Single Parents Forum: Single Family Voices >
(``'·.¸(``'·.¸ Tips, Tricks & Ideas ¸.·'´´)¸.·'´´)
> Time For You > Book Club

~ Donate Today ~ PLEASE

Old 03-08-2011, 04:14 AM   #1
Brass Bells Female
Banned For Spam

Brass Bells Is Rocken These Boards With SupportBrass Bells Is Rocken These Boards With SupportBrass Bells Is Rocken These Boards With SupportBrass Bells Is Rocken These Boards With SupportBrass Bells Is Rocken These Boards With SupportBrass Bells Is Rocken These Boards With SupportBrass Bells Is Rocken These Boards With SupportBrass Bells Is Rocken These Boards With SupportBrass Bells Is Rocken These Boards With Support
clown Whatcha reading?

I'm reading a fun book, "I Remember Nothing," by Nora Ephron. It's a laugh and a half. She tells some fun tales, from her interesting childhood as a Beverly Hills child of a movie screenwriter father and academician mother. Went to college and her folks published her letters home verbatim in a play they co-wrote (it's well known, but I forget the name)!

She got an eastern education at Wellesley I think, and into journalism in NY in interesting times... from the Beatles to Watergate... to how she banged out "When Harry Met Sally." She's got a funny take on a lot of things. I loved reading her, "I Hate My Neck." That was a good one, too.

Last edited by Brass Bells; 03-08-2011 at 04:16 AM. Reason: It can always be better.
Brass Bells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 03:05 PM   #2
LSL Female
The blunt one;)

LSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support Legend
Default Re: Whatcha reading?

I just read two books actually, all day yesterday.

The Bride Collector by Ted Dekker... freaky, spiritual mystery/serial killer novel. Pretty intense and a fast read.

Supreme Justice by Philip Margolin.... legal thriller which takes place in Portland, OR and Washington DC. Great book if you like legal suspence stories that have strange twists. I was not expecting the ending, and I am pretty darn good at predicting them.

I brought with me: the Lincoln Lawyer (I read this years ago, but want to reread before I see the movie when I get back). And Sing Me Home by Jodi Picoult.... love her books -- usually thought provoking and make you just a little uncomfortable by your thoughts.

If I finish those, I am going to breakdown and buy Fall of Giants by Ken Folliet...... It is cost prohibitive but, I don't know that I can wait any longer.
Old 03-08-2011, 03:15 PM   #3
1staDad Male
Board Blazen Parent

1staDad Is Rocken These Boards With Support1staDad Is Rocken These Boards With Support1staDad Is Rocken These Boards With Support1staDad Is Rocken These Boards With Support1staDad Is Rocken These Boards With Support1staDad Is Rocken These Boards With Support1staDad Is Rocken These Boards With Support1staDad Is Rocken These Boards With Support1staDad Is Rocken These Boards With Support

I'm more of a non-fiction reader at times, and I would highly recommend "The Gift of Fear" by Gavin deBecker. Very good book, especially for all the single moms out there to help you understand how to live your life in comfort rather than freaked out by the media all the time.

On the fiction side, anything by Robin Hobb is good and for murder/mysteries Cara Black's series set in Paris is wonderful. Very detailed and intricate. "Murder in the Marais" is the new one I believe.
1staDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 04:51 AM   #4
Brass Bells Female
Banned For Spam

Brass Bells Is Rocken These Boards With SupportBrass Bells Is Rocken These Boards With SupportBrass Bells Is Rocken These Boards With SupportBrass Bells Is Rocken These Boards With SupportBrass Bells Is Rocken These Boards With SupportBrass Bells Is Rocken These Boards With SupportBrass Bells Is Rocken These Boards With SupportBrass Bells Is Rocken These Boards With SupportBrass Bells Is Rocken These Boards With Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1staDad View Post
I'm more of a non-fiction reader at times, and I would highly recommend "The Gift of Fear" by Gavin deBecker.
Yes, deBecker's "Protecting the Gift" (meaning children), and "The Gift of Fear" are excellent, and what they most wonderfully are is an acknowledgement that all of your parental instincts and intuition are GOOD. I got "Protecting the Gift" at the Dollar Store about ten years ago, read it and gave it to my mom, and then she got copies for all my brothers and sister. It's interesting and USEFUL, easy to read and well worth actual full cover cost!

If you are interested in going deeper into one line of problem intruders out there, there is, "Conversations with a Pedophile; In the Interest of our Children," by Dr. Amy Hammel-Zabin, which I read last year (after hiding it in my bookcase for a year... totally repulsed at the idea) and was very, very impressed with as a tool of awakening for parents which could make a big difference in their ability to foresee a potential problem. She (Dr. Amy) was an young music therapist who could only get work at a prison, and therein she found herself able to tap a resource that she offers very carefully to us all. It's not sensationalistic or graphic. It's cleansed of that yet manages to pull open the drapes on a line of thinking that it's so good for us parents to KNOW about.

Blue Latitudes has disappointed me as my next book, and I can't get "Bitter is the New Black" at the library right now, which sounded so good, and I need a new book. What else are you reading folks?[COLOR="Silver"]

---------- Post added at 12:51 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:41 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Re-Mom View Post
I bought a book a month plus ago now and haven't had a chance to sit and read. It is killing me. Hopefully after next weds and a few weeks to get meds working I'll have a few good ole blocks of ME TIME! (all I need is 30 solid minutes here and thereLOL)

For now I'm reading 1staDad's novel, thankfully his posts aren't too long.

---------- Post added at 04:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:17 PM ----------

I've considered rereading Twilight because it drew me in quickly... though I guess number 1 was a little slow at first, I also knew the excitement was coming regardless of what I was reading. Seriously though once they start sitting next to one another in science class and about burning up in hotness I was beyond hooked.

Yeah, maybe I'll reread that as it is such simple reading I probably only need 15 or 20 minutes here and there.
My daughter ate up the Twilight books ravenously... which shocked me! Just tore them up as fast as she could and I was SO excited to see her being such a reader! The storyline caused me to have much feminist discussion with her about it, and I could not keep her from running headlong into the next vampire-esque series she found, "The Dead" series, and now she's into another one, has to check the entire series out at once, and tears through them. This one thankfully has goddesses and things I like better, but still plenty of vampires and keepers of the faith, whom I will not allow her to tell me about (she wants to tell me so much of it) unless she translates vampires into bunnies and keepers of faith into frogs, because vampires and such just give me the CREEPS!! The titles are things like, "Marked," "Betrayed," "Chosen," "Untamed," "Hunted," "Tempted," "Burned,"Awakened." I am trying to steer her toward more seemly literature, but so far, she LOVES these, laughs, and has cried, too. She says, Mom, I know it's not REAL, Okay, so, the "bunnies" have a thing that the "frogs" can't do, and.... cracks me up.
Old 03-08-2011, 03:31 PM   #5
momofTDR Female
Marja

momofTDR Is Rocken These Boards With SupportmomofTDR Is Rocken These Boards With SupportmomofTDR Is Rocken These Boards With SupportmomofTDR Is Rocken These Boards With SupportmomofTDR Is Rocken These Boards With SupportmomofTDR Is Rocken These Boards With SupportmomofTDR Is Rocken These Boards With SupportmomofTDR Is Rocken These Boards With SupportmomofTDR Is Rocken These Boards With SupportmomofTDR Is Rocken These Boards With SupportmomofTDR Is Rocken These Boards With Support

OOOH, LSL, that Ted Dekker book sounds so good! Love Ted Dekker!

I am reading Run With the Horses by Eugene Peterson with my church.

and rereading Captivating. I have a few Fiction books picked out, but won't have time for a while.
momofTDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 04:35 PM   #6
sara1 Female
Setting New Standards

sara1 Has Heart and Soul of an Angelsara1 Has Heart and Soul of an Angelsara1 Has Heart and Soul of an Angelsara1 Has Heart and Soul of an Angelsara1 Has Heart and Soul of an Angelsara1 Has Heart and Soul of an Angelsara1 Has Heart and Soul of an Angelsara1 Has Heart and Soul of an Angelsara1 Has Heart and Soul of an Angelsara1 Has Heart and Soul of an Angelsara1 Has Heart and Soul of an Angel

The majority of my time is spent reading text books which isn't so fun, but in addition I am reading, "the overton window" by Glenn Beck and just read "of mice and men" for the thousandth time

---------- Post added at 03:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:23 PM ----------

I am also trying to read twilight series because my daughter wants me too but finding it hard to get into......oh and at night "diary of a wimpy kid" out loud
Old 03-08-2011, 04:40 PM   #7
lyndz7 Female
Setting New Standards

lyndz7 has a reputation beyond reputelyndz7 has a reputation beyond reputelyndz7 has a reputation beyond reputelyndz7 has a reputation beyond reputelyndz7 has a reputation beyond reputelyndz7 has a reputation beyond repute

WHAT???? you find twilight hard to get into???

I need new books......i just read Thin is the new Happy by Valerie Fankel---it was a memoir about a womans body image issues...it was ok....kind of boring but interesting at the same time...

I need the new Steig Larrson and Jen Lancaster to come out in paperback....my books HAVE to match..

PS if anyone is looking for funny....Start with Bitter is the New Black by jen lancaster...they are funny!!!
Old 03-08-2011, 05:19 PM   #8
Re-Mom Female
Mainiac

Re-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of Support

I bought a book a month plus ago now and haven't had a chance to sit and read. It is killing me. Hopefully after next weds and a few weeks to get meds working I'll have a few good ole blocks of ME TIME! (all I need is 30 solid minutes here and thereLOL)

For now I'm reading 1staDad's novel, thankfully his posts aren't too long.

---------- Post added at 04:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:17 PM ----------

I've considered rereading Twilight because it drew me in quickly... though I guess number 1 was a little slow at first, I also knew the excitement was coming regardless of what I was reading. Seriously though once they start sitting next to one another in science class and about burning up in hotness I was beyond hooked.

Yeah, maybe I'll reread that as it is such simple reading I probably only need 15 or 20 minutes here and there.

Call me if you need a delivery....

|^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||
|.........WINE TRUCK.........| ||'|";, ___.
|_..._..._______===|=||_|__|..., ] -)
"(@)'(@)"" "''"**|(@)(@)*****''(@)
Re-Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 11:22 PM   #9
tahquamenonfa Female
On the Board

tahquamenonfa is an unknown quantity at this point

Just picked up a few books, one was an oldy (not really) but a goody:

Material World. They take representative families from many countries and put everything they own out in front of their home and tell about what it's like in their country. Great for adults or kids.

Companion book is Hungry Planet, where they take each family's food for a week, say how much it costs for it, and representative meals.

Can't say how much my family loves these books.

Tahq
tahquamenonfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 05:39 AM   #10
LSL Female
The blunt one;)

LSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support Legend

Brass Bells: My daughter ate up the Twilight series too. I had a problem with the Marked, Chosen, so on so forth series... I read the first book and there were some real adult themes that I thought, for my daughter at 12, were too mature. Kind of like a harlequin romance.

For your daughter, try to get her into Ann Rinaldi. My daughter LOVES this author. She writes historical fiction. One of the books is written at the viewpoint of Sarah, the daughter of Paul Revere. I have read these books as well, and they are WONDERFUL.

My A is now reading the classics, but that took 2 years of me convincing her that Emma and Jane Austin were worthy reads! She just finished Wuthering Heights and said to me that it reminded her of the Twilight series.....
Old 03-14-2011, 08:51 AM   #11
idig Female
SFV JUNKIE!!!

idig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legend

Sara! I am so thrilled to have a fellow not so into Twilight-er!!! I did make myself read the entire first book. Not impressed. In fact completely creeped out by the "love" part of the story.
Old 03-14-2011, 12:47 PM   #12
LSL Female
The blunt one;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by idig View Post
Sara! I am so thrilled to have a fellow not so into Twilight-er!!! I did make myself read the entire first book. Not impressed. In fact completely creeped out by the "love" part of the story.
Oh yes..... a pedophile who "loves" a child..... yeah, grosses me out too. What freaks me out more is how all the moms my age go ga-ga over Edward and Jacob.......
Old 03-15-2011, 03:48 AM   #13
Brass Bells Female
Banned For Spam

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSL View Post
Oh yes..... a pedophile who "loves" a child..... yeah, grosses me out too. What freaks me out more is how all the moms my age go ga-ga over Edward and Jacob.......
Yea, it's strange. I took my d to the movies of the books, of course, she HAD to see them, and I am so bad, I could not help myself from busting up laughing loud and long when sparkling white wierdo Edward and family arrived at the lunchroom. I thought, "oh, I get it, it's a big parody!!" But, it wasn't, it was SERIOUS.

I'm going to look into the Ann Rinaldi suggestion. I don't like my d reading all the nasty stuff that is in those Marked books, and I've been trying to steer her toward the classics, as well, but, I think probably my love for the period movies has turned her way off the Bronte sisters, etc. I laid down the law: after this series her next book was to be mom-approved, period.

I still have nothing to read for myself yet...
Old 03-14-2011, 09:56 AM   #14
lyndz7 Female
Setting New Standards

lyndz7 has a reputation beyond reputelyndz7 has a reputation beyond reputelyndz7 has a reputation beyond reputelyndz7 has a reputation beyond reputelyndz7 has a reputation beyond reputelyndz7 has a reputation beyond repute

Oh i almost forgot the Hunger Games series..they are pretty good....LIttle different but i speed through them

Sookie Stackhouse series is good for the vampire lovers (although not suggested for kids) actually all of Charleine Harris books are pretty good, she has a few other "series" she does.
Old 05-25-2011, 09:58 PM   #15
ashersmomma Female
I am New

ashersmomma is an unknown quantity at this point

ohhh i loved the hunger games series. it was so heartwrenching.
ashersmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 07:31 AM   #16
Brass Bells Female
Banned For Spam

Hunger Games? Okay, that's the second time today I've heard of Hunger Games... I have a friend who is on the crew for a movie they're making of it somewhere not too far from her home in Charleston, SC. I'm going to check that out.

I recently read "Half Broke Horses" by Janette Walls. Very good, interesting, true story (labed fiction due to the first person voice the author chose to write the biography of her grandmother). Set in hardscrabble Texas, less hardscrabble New Mexico, and Arizona, her grandmother's life swept across those states, on foot, on a donkey, and, one day in an airplane she piloted herself. The story's settings are all such vast landscapes, it's a little taste of being there.
Old 03-15-2011, 01:00 AM   #17
tahquamenonfa Female
On the Board

Just finished the "29 Gifts". Good book, and I was interested in the lady's backstory.

She had MS and decided to give a gift everyday (maybe even just helping someone) with no need to receive, and found it opened her heart and life.

Tahq
Old 03-15-2011, 08:31 AM   #18
Jamie's_Mum Female
English & proud

Jamie's_Mum has a reputation beyond reputeJamie's_Mum has a reputation beyond reputeJamie's_Mum has a reputation beyond reputeJamie's_Mum has a reputation beyond reputeJamie's_Mum has a reputation beyond reputeJamie's_Mum has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahquamenonfa View Post
Just finished the "29 Gifts". Good book, and I was interested in the lady's backstory.

She had MS and decided to give a gift everyday (maybe even just helping someone) with no need to receive, and found it opened her heart and life.

Tahq
Sounds interesting, will have to look it up.
Old 03-15-2011, 11:10 AM   #19
muskiedad Male
the one who babbles

muskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legend

Just finished "The Hiram Key" about the evolution of gnostic thinking through Egypt, Moses, Christ and the Knights Templar to present day.
muskiedad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 01:33 PM   #20
tahquamenonfa Female
On the Board

My son has a pile of books that he is recommending for me, . I think I want to revisit Arthur C. Clarke's Rama first.
Old 03-15-2011, 01:57 PM   #21
babymama3210 Female
Lively & Zealous Parent

babymama3210 Is Rocken These Boards With Supportbabymama3210 Is Rocken These Boards With Supportbabymama3210 Is Rocken These Boards With Supportbabymama3210 Is Rocken These Boards With Supportbabymama3210 Is Rocken These Boards With Supportbabymama3210 Is Rocken These Boards With Supportbabymama3210 Is Rocken These Boards With Supportbabymama3210 Is Rocken These Boards With Supportbabymama3210 Is Rocken These Boards With Support

I love Jodi Picoult too, I have read all of her books and they are great, especially Songs of the Humback Whale, My Sister's Keeper, and Handle with Care. Those are my favorites by her, and I just bought Sing Me Home, so when I finish my other books I will get into that.

I am currently reading Shantaram by Gregory Roberts, it is book written while the guy was in prison for robbing a bank and his heroin addiction and about how he escapes prison and writes of his experiences living in India....very good so far. Soon to be made into a movie and Johnny Depp will be starring, love him =)

One of my favorite all time books is No Ordinary Moments by Dan Millman...it is mostly a self help book for learning to live in the moment, let go of control, be happy...so many great things he helps you with that anyone can relate to in their lives, including dealing with single parenting, addiction, anything. He also has alot of other great books, or you can watch the movie Peaceful Warrior, a book of his that got turned into a movie. Hope you guys check these books out, very good!
babymama3210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 07:29 PM   #22
FlyingDevildog Male
Banned

FlyingDevildog has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDevildog has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDevildog has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDevildog has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDevildog has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDevildog has a reputation beyond repute

read Ted Dekker's "Black" 1'st, "Red" 2'nd, "White" and last book
Good Books

last book I read was "Know the Future" by Tim Mchyde
good book but deep and you need to think things though before agreeing with or not.

Dawg
FlyingDevildog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 09:01 PM   #23
ashersmomma Female
I am New

ashersmomma is an unknown quantity at this point

now i'm working my way through "the vampire diaries" series... it's so "teeny-bopper" but i can't help myself. i love it almost as much as i love the show! hehe
ashersmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 09:10 PM   #24
FlyingDevildog Male
Banned

FlyingDevildog has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDevildog has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDevildog has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDevildog has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDevildog has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDevildog has a reputation beyond repute

reading "Fire Your Wife"
it's a e-book
Old 06-01-2011, 10:47 PM   #25
idig Female
SFV JUNKIE!!!

idig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legend

The Giver. M saw it in a second hand book store and insisted I read it. He read it in 5th grade and it made quite an impression on him. Very interesting so far!
Old 06-01-2011, 10:58 PM   #26
sara1 Female
Setting New Standards

sara1 Has Heart and Soul of an Angelsara1 Has Heart and Soul of an Angelsara1 Has Heart and Soul of an Angelsara1 Has Heart and Soul of an Angelsara1 Has Heart and Soul of an Angelsara1 Has Heart and Soul of an Angelsara1 Has Heart and Soul of an Angelsara1 Has Heart and Soul of an Angelsara1 Has Heart and Soul of an Angelsara1 Has Heart and Soul of an Angelsara1 Has Heart and Soul of an Angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by idig View Post
The Giver. M saw it in a second hand book store and insisted I read it. He read it in 5th grade and it made quite an impression on him. Very interesting so far!
I read that book....about 25 years ago(???) and loved it.
Old 06-01-2011, 11:10 PM   #27
Tazie Female
Board Blazen Parent

Tazie has a brilliant futureTazie has a brilliant futureTazie has a brilliant futureTazie has a brilliant future

I'm reading Weird Sisters by Eleanor Brown absolutely love it. My son has finished the "Wimpy Kid " series and now he is reading "The Kane Chronicles" by that dude who wrote the Percy Jackson series. I love reading I wonder if we can start a book club here?

---------- Post added at 09:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:05 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyndz7 View Post
Oh i almost forgot the Hunger Games series..they are pretty good....LIttle different but i speed through them

Sookie Stackhouse series is good for the vampire lovers (although not suggested for kids) actually all of Charleine Harris books are pretty good, she has a few other "series" she does.
I read the first 5 books of that series and to me the first 2 sucked, maybe it was because I watched the series first. Anyway, I like the old school vamps these modern vamps and werewolves are such an in justice.

I do think Jacob is HOTTTT!!! Team JACOB
Tazie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 12:36 AM   #28
Mama Swan Female
Tree hugger at heart

Mama Swan Has Heart and Soul of an AngelMama Swan Has Heart and Soul of an AngelMama Swan Has Heart and Soul of an AngelMama Swan Has Heart and Soul of an AngelMama Swan Has Heart and Soul of an AngelMama Swan Has Heart and Soul of an AngelMama Swan Has Heart and Soul of an AngelMama Swan Has Heart and Soul of an AngelMama Swan Has Heart and Soul of an AngelMama Swan Has Heart and Soul of an AngelMama Swan Has Heart and Soul of an Angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tazie View Post
I'm reading Weird Sisters by Eleanor Brown absolutely love it. My son has finished the "Wimpy Kid " series and now he is reading "The Kane Chronicles" by that dude who wrote the Percy Jackson series. I love reading I wonder if we can start a book club here?

---------- Post added at 09:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:05 PM ----------

I read the first 5 books of that series and to me the first 2 sucked, maybe it was because I watched the series first. Anyway, I like the old school vamps these modern vamps and werewolves are such an in justice.

I do think Jacob is HOTTTT!!! Team JACOB
I'd be all for a book club around here. That would be fun!
Right now, the only thing I'm reading is the book I read to S at bedtime, which right now is "Ella Enchanted"- don't remember the author's name- Devine? Levine? I have to admit I'm a bit of a sucker for good kids' fiction. It's often as well written as for adults, but there is something more straightforward about it that I appreciate.
Mama Swan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 04:00 PM   #29
tripfour
Active Board Parent

tripfour is an unknown quantity at this point

Reading 'Dead or Alive' by Tom Clancy. Love his work, great to have him back as it's been awhile since his last.
Old 06-02-2011, 10:52 PM   #30
FlyingDevildog Male
Banned

W.E.B.Griffen is a good one too.

I liked the "Corps" series

---------- Post added at 08:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:00 PM ----------

Found a new short story thats in PDF/e-book

called "the Marching Morons"

first written in 1951, the PDF is from 1959
Old 06-02-2011, 11:22 PM   #31
Re-Mom Female
Mainiac

Re-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of Support

My oldest keeps telling me I should read the Hunger Games, I guess i should! She read them all last spring and couldn't stop until she got to the end of the last book.

---------- Post added at 10:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:06 PM ----------

O didn't really get the handful of scenes that were a bit too mature, she's so disgusted by kissing and such still it was fine for her.

O also has loved the Sisters Grimm and now she's on her last of the Children of the Lamp series. I think the author's last name is Kerr?

|^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||
Old 11-05-2012, 08:02 PM   #32
patriciajames Female
Learning to Surf The Board

patriciajames will become famous soon enough

No one on this list is into Game of Thrones? Not even my genre, really, but I could not put them down. Finished the last one a few weeks ago and went to buy book 6 (was supposed to come out in Oct., now maybe 2014) and found out the author is always years later than his estimated publish date! Boo... but they are really, really well-written.

I bought Material World years ago for everyone in my family for Christmas. I am surprised they have not updated it yet, but it really makes you think when you see the family in Bhutan that has 3 pots, some great rugs and a few sheep and contrast that with the Texas family whose stuff takes up the whole cult-de-sac outside their house!
patriciajames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 09:02 PM   #33
Re-Mom Female
Mainiac

What is Game of Thrones?

|^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||
Old 11-05-2012, 11:30 PM   #34
Tazie Female
Board Blazen Parent

Tazie has a brilliant futureTazie has a brilliant futureTazie has a brilliant futureTazie has a brilliant future

RM game of thrones is amazing I'm on book 3. It is twisted, dark, deep its one of those books that's really hard to put down. You would enjoy it I know I am
Old 11-05-2012, 11:55 PM   #35
Re-Mom Female
Mainiac

Is it appropriate for young teens? Something about the title makes me think my oldest would enjoy it. I'll have to look into it or better yet, just read it on my own first!

|^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||
Old 11-06-2012, 12:13 AM   #36
Tazie Female
Board Blazen Parent

I don't think it's appropriate for teens maybe early 20's lots of violence and *** but there is so much more to it
Old 09-09-2013, 09:17 PM   #37
SingleMom123 Female
Board Blazen Parent

SingleMom123 has a brilliant futureSingleMom123 has a brilliant futureSingleMom123 has a brilliant futureSingleMom123 has a brilliant future

Oh, Game of Thrones sounds interesting. I like dark novels.

I am totally a vampire freak. My favorite series of all time was the Vampire Chronicals by Anne Rice, but right now I am reading the one of the Carpathian novels by Christine Feehan. I read the first House of Night book by P.C. Cast, and put the second book on hold at the library, but it was checked out and there was one person already on the waiting list to get that book too!

I am also writing a book, almost done, getting ready to start my second novel. About........can you guess....vampires! Needless to say, NOT child friendly!

But I also like fantasy books, especially books about dragons, I love dragons too.
SingleMom123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 10:49 PM   #38
Dad1st4boys Male
Failure is not an Option.

Dad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of Support

I am reading "Gulliver's Travels" and "A Bad Spell in Yurt". I read two or three books at a time.

The Only Easy Day was Yesterday. NavSpecWar

If it is Important to us we make it happen.......
If it's not, then we make excuses...
Dad1st4boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 11:05 PM   #39
Re-Mom Female
Mainiac

I like my historical fiction!

I just started reading "And The Mountains Echoed," by Khaled Hosseini (author of The Kite Runner and A Thousand Splendid Suns... Loved his first two, read Kite Runner twice. Problem is I'm thinking I should put it away for now, not going to be getting much reading time with all the stuff going on here with start of school!

---------- Post added at 10:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:03 PM ----------

A really neat and quick read is The Girl with the Pearl Earring (can't recall author) Based in the 1600's on Vermeer's paintings it is the made up story of his life and was awesome! I kept the website of his paintings handy while reading it.

Room.... creepy and awesome read. (not historical fiction LOL)

Oh and I just finished The Boy with the Striped Pajamas. It was like Room in that it is written from the child character's eyes. Both did a great job!

|^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||
Old 09-09-2013, 11:31 PM   #40
trebor Male
Board Beacon Parent

trebor Has Heart and Soul of an Angeltrebor Has Heart and Soul of an Angeltrebor Has Heart and Soul of an Angeltrebor Has Heart and Soul of an Angeltrebor Has Heart and Soul of an Angeltrebor Has Heart and Soul of an Angeltrebor Has Heart and Soul of an Angeltrebor Has Heart and Soul of an Angeltrebor Has Heart and Soul of an Angeltrebor Has Heart and Soul of an Angeltrebor Has Heart and Soul of an Angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Re-Mom View Post

Oh and I just finished The Boy with the Striped Pajamas. It was like Room in that it is written from the child character's eyes. Both did a great job!
B read that for school.

The last couple books I attempted to read (cause I didn't quite finish) were Social Transformations (by Stephen something or other) and a book about the super-colliders and finding the "god particle". Which they did find recently.

My favorite read was probably "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas" by Hunter S. Thompson...so bizarre.

I'm not really into fiction or romance novels.

There is a Canuckian author I am familiar with who is writing some scathing expose's.
There is the raunchy "The Secret Life of Squirrels...the other rodent". And he is already working on the taudry follow up, "Free Love and Acorns, What Exactly Happens in those Oak Trees". I'm giddy with excitement for those releases!
trebor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 11:24 PM   #41
muskiedad Male
the one who babbles

muskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legend

Reading a biography of Field Marshall Montgomery. Just got to the landings in Normandy....should be interesting part of the book!
Old 09-09-2013, 11:39 PM   #42
Dad1st4boys Male
Failure is not an Option.

Dad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of Support

I read his Bio years ago. He was a great Commander. I also read a book called "The War Magician" About a British Stage Illusionist who used his skills to hide the whole port of Alexandra and make Rommel think the Brits where where they weren't. He was assigned to Brit Intel and blew them out of the water.

The Only Easy Day was Yesterday. NavSpecWar

If it is Important to us we make it happen.......
If it's not, then we make excuses...
Dad1st4boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 11:48 PM   #43
Alejandra
Setting New Standards

Alejandra has a brilliant futureAlejandra has a brilliant futureAlejandra has a brilliant futureAlejandra has a brilliant futureAlejandra has a brilliant future

I'm reading a short book of Kurt Vonnegut's first and last works. The first work was written in the late 40s but wasn't published, and the the last was what he was working on when he died in 2007 (approx 50 yrs after the 1st work). It also includes a nice forward and interesting commentary of both works by his daughter.

I think it might be called "Be Careful What You Pretend to Be", but I'm not sure. The book is upstairs, and I'm downstairs.

If the fetus you save is gay, will you still fight for its rights???

"Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not, in fact, just surrounded by assholes." ~William Gibson
Alejandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 12:01 AM   #44
muskiedad Male
the one who babbles

The Montgomery book is for "home" reading......but I take a paperwork to work for lunch time.......Nicholas Monsaratt's "The Cruel Sea". Helps me understand my father a bit better.
Trebor those sound like great books! There is a whole series of rodent books worth reading. "Beavers: why we love them" might be of interest to you. Forget the author's name but might have been Jake Castor. I recently finished "Apocalypse Meow" the story of end of the world from a cat's perspective.
Old 09-10-2013, 08:05 AM   #45
trebor Male
Board Beacon Parent

trebor Has Heart and Soul of an Angeltrebor Has Heart and Soul of an Angeltrebor Has Heart and Soul of an Angeltrebor Has Heart and Soul of an Angeltrebor Has Heart and Soul of an Angeltrebor Has Heart and Soul of an Angeltrebor Has Heart and Soul of an Angeltrebor Has Heart and Soul of an Angeltrebor Has Heart and Soul of an Angeltrebor Has Heart and Soul of an Angeltrebor Has Heart and Soul of an Angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by muskiedad View Post
Trebor those sound like great books! There is a whole series of rodent books worth reading. "Beavers: why we love them" might be of interest to you. Forget the author's name but might have been Jake Castor. .
nice.

when things settle down I would like to find a good book to envelope myself in. I'm just not sure what I want to read? I always find myself drawn to books about how the world works or how people coexist. I need something different as those get boring .

Anyone know a book that you can't put down?
trebor is offline   Reply With Quote