Wild Dancing Thanksgivng Turkey Divorce settlement question - Single Parents Forum: Single Family Voices
All forums, topics and discussions are geared to single parents and the issues faced with single parenting.
Support a single parent today and one will support you back!

Go Back   Single Parents Forum: Single Family Voices >
(``'·.¸(``'·.¸ Single Parenting - Issues ¸.·'´´)¸.·'´´)
> Law & Legal Issues

Notices

~ Donate Today ~ PLEASE

Old 09-07-2013, 01:22 PM   #1
calooa Female
Finding my way

calooa Has a SFV Diamond Heart of Supportcalooa Has a SFV Diamond Heart of Supportcalooa Has a SFV Diamond Heart of Supportcalooa Has a SFV Diamond Heart of Supportcalooa Has a SFV Diamond Heart of Supportcalooa Has a SFV Diamond Heart of Supportcalooa Has a SFV Diamond Heart of Supportcalooa Has a SFV Diamond Heart of Supportcalooa Has a SFV Diamond Heart of Supportcalooa Has a SFV Diamond Heart of Supportcalooa Has a SFV Diamond Heart of Support
Default Divorce settlement question

I'm asking this on behalf of a friend because I think he was screwed over in his divorce. B and his ex wife A had a lot of debt when they divorced. A's name was on all of the unsecured credit careds and other debts, while B's name was only on some of the debt. Still it was debt of the marriage.

In the divorce decree, A agreed to assume all responsibility to pay the creditors directly for the debts owed because she wanted to preserve her credit rating. B agreed to pay A $30,000 in monthly installments over the course of the past 5 years for his share of this debt. A was making payments on the debt but then early last year she filed bankruptcy on what remained. B continued to pay her the monthly installments until he paid her in full just last week.

My questions:

1. Was this considered alimony or maintenance?
2. Was B able to write this off on his taxes?
3. Does B have any legal standing to recoup some of the money he paid to A since she did not fulfill her end of the bargain? (She was to pay the debt off, not collect money from B even after she filed bankruptcy on the debt.)

Oh and he paid interest on the $30,000 too. Well over $6000 in interest.
calooa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 03:41 PM   #2
Bluemoon Female
just an old hippie chick

Bluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support Legend
Default Re: Divorce settlement question

I have no clue of the legalities but agree with you that the bankruptcy should have changed something.
IF his payments were classfied as payments towards that debt, than once she declared, the debt would have been wiped clean...at least on the debt that was in her name alone.

I don't believe she could file alone on any that have his name on them.

However, that's IF it was clear that that is what the payments were for. It's more likely that the amout was written up as a "settlement amount" to be paid in installments - in which case he is screwed. IMO.

To disagree, one doesn't have to be disagreeable. ~Barry M. Goldwater and Jack Casserly, Goldwater

Life is all about how you handle Plan B. ~ off a Blue Mountain Arts calendar
Bluemoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 05:44 PM   #3
LSL Female
The blunt one;)

LSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support Legend

If this was splitting the debt... it wasn't alimony. Look at the judgment money award, it will say whether there was alimony.

If she discharged the debt, then he should not have paid HER, it should have went to creditors. He needs to consult an attorney. I think he could sue her for that money. It wasn't for her, it was for the creditors.
Old 09-07-2013, 07:17 PM   #4
muskiedad Male
the one who babbles

muskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legend

Here whoever had the debt in their name is responsible for it. Joint debt is different (oh boy have I learned this!). The creditor does not care which party pays, as long as they get their money, so he could still be on the hook for "joint" debts. I'll bet she paid off debts in her name first, and left joint debts as a lesser priority. Exs tend to do things like this.
Bankruptcy lawyer is req'd.........believe me!
Did he get monthly updates on the payments to the debts so he could keep track of where the money was going? If not, he should seek that info. now.
She may just write him off as a creditor at this point........just add him to the bankruptcy list of creditors. Pathetic.
muskiedad is offline   Reply With Quote