Wild Dancing Thanksgivng Turkey Sole Custody Document needed? - Single Parents Forum: Single Family Voices
All forums, topics and discussions are geared to single parents and the issues faced with single parenting.
Support a single parent today and one will support you back!

Go Back   Single Parents Forum: Single Family Voices >
(``'·.¸(``'·.¸ Single Parenting - Issues ¸.·'´´)¸.·'´´)
> Law & Legal Issues

Notices

~ Donate Today ~ PLEASE

Old 08-07-2015, 10:48 PM   #1
indiechic Female
I am New

indiechic is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Sole Custody Document needed?

I have the custodial parent of my daughter (almost 2 years old) since her birth, father is involved financially but not physically and hasn't seen her in almost a year. I want to out of the country on vacation next year, which spurred me to ask this:
Do I need a court order to establish sole custody to get her a passport?

I want to protect her and keep custody the way it is, but I don't want to stir the pot and end up having him fight to get visitation. How should I proceed? My understanding is that sole custody is assumed in my case, but not sure how that works legally.
indiechic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 11:02 PM   #2
LSL Female
The blunt one;)

LSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support Legend
Default Re: Sole Custody Document needed?

Is he on the birth certificate?

The state department has what you need listed on their website. If dad's name is on the birth certificate then you don't need to have sole custody IF he will sign a form for her passport.
Old 08-07-2015, 11:10 PM   #3
indiechic Female
I am New

indiechic is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes, he's on the birth certificate. This is good to know!

If I have sole custody assigned by the courts, can he still fight for visitation?
indiechic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 12:47 AM   #4
LSL Female
The blunt one;)

LSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support Legend

Yes. Anytime you file for custody, he can counter for custody and/or parenting time.