Wild Dancing Thanksgivng Turkey Need Help - Single Parents Forum: Single Family Voices
All forums, topics and discussions are geared to single parents and the issues faced with single parenting.
Support a single parent today and one will support you back!

Go Back   Single Parents Forum: Single Family Voices >
(``'·.¸(``'·.¸ Single Parenting - Issues ¸.·'´´)¸.·'´´)
> Law & Legal Issues

Notices

~ Donate Today ~ PLEASE

Old 03-10-2014, 10:04 PM   #1
needa_miracle Female
I am New

needa_miracle is an unknown quantity at this point
beg or prayer Need Help

Hello,

I am a single mother with a son who is 6 years old. He is the love of my life. Together we have been going through a custody battle for his entire life. It has been hard on me, but even harder on him. The reason we have been in court for so long is because his dad is mentally ill (bi-polar disorder), is abusive, and needs to have control over every aspect of our lives. There for, he takes me back to court to obtain custody every 2 years. It has cost me and my extended family over $50,000 so far and I currently have 7k balance with my attorney. My attorney wants payment now, or he is going to drop me, and I will be left without an attorney when our trial can start as soon as June. The reason our case has taken so long is because the father has threatened to kill our last judge, and the judge reclused himself from the case. Which meant, I had to start over with a new judge, whom knows none of the history of our case. I am out of money, my family is out of money, and I have had no choice to start a fundraiser for my attorney fees. Please help or pass along my story if you choose. Thank you so much for taking the time to listen.

Last edited by MotherBoard; 03-11-2014 at 09:47 PM. Reason: spam removed ~ Please Read The rules
needa_miracle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 11:39 PM   #2
mommarose Female
Setting New Standards

mommarose has a reputation beyond reputemommarose has a reputation beyond reputemommarose has a reputation beyond reputemommarose has a reputation beyond reputemommarose has a reputation beyond reputemommarose has a reputation beyond reputemommarose has a reputation beyond reputemommarose has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Need Help

Cant you try to take him to court over harassment or something and try to recover fee's?

Doesn't sound like raising money will help, as he will just have you in court again in another 2 years. You need to look into legal options if there are any to stop his harassment through the courts.
mommarose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 12:12 AM   #3
needa_miracle Female
I am New

We are almost at the end, and I am praying for sole custody. There are a lot of thinks involved, guardian ad litem, psychiatrists to do a 604(b) evaluation. This all takes time and a serious amount of money. In my state, he can take me back to court every two years as long as there have been changes made in my life, such as moving, or dating, etc. right now, I am trying to prove to the courts that he is unfit and he is seeking full custody. He is a compulsive liar who will make up anything to hurt me. While in a manic state he is violent and obsesses on how to destroy my life. Not only that, he tells my son every detail of the case. We are both in therapy to help cope.
Old 03-11-2014, 12:13 AM   #4
LSL Female
The blunt one;)

LSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support Legend

Does your state have a statute to award attorney's fees? My state does and I often use it on behalf of my client, and get the fees.

I get why you are on here and what your motivation is. I would suggest, if you have not already, sharing this on facebook, and imploring your friends to share this on there walls. Here is a tough sell. First, this violates the forum's rules you signed and agreed to to become a member. And second, we are all single parents, many in pretty tight financial needs. And even if I could, I would not give to a link on this website without verifying the story.

I hope you find a solution to this. Good luck.
Old 03-11-2014, 01:58 PM   #5
needa_miracle Female
I am New

I have shared my story on Facebook and I suppose I could always give a court docket number to verify. @mommarose I will do whatever I can to insure my son stays in my custody. If I don't continue to pay the lawyers, I run the risk of handing my son over to an abusive, mentally ill monster. I would die before doing that.
Old 03-11-2014, 10:12 PM   #6
MotherBoard Female
Making The Magic Happen
Mother Of The Board

MotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of Support

I have been right in your shoes. If you are willing to do anything, you need to sit in on some law classes, read up and try to represent yourself, if you cant afford. I myself did this and I cut everything out of my life, all the way down to just eating rice with a pat of butter and some salt and pepper to afford an attorney. I also sold every thing I could, even my cloths and just kept basic clothing for work and school, and sold blood. I had four children and it was hard but doable.

Today I give up most luxury's, like movies, going out soda to help here. We here are pretty much in the same boat. and ... Please Read The rules, would hate for you get get banned.

I think this forum can help you find what you need and can help and share with others, what you learn/ed and helped/worked for you.

is there a university you can get to? You may want to ask a third year student or professor for resources in your area.

another suggestion is asking the court/judge for a mental evaluation from your ex, to show the court his mental issues. If he has already been diagnosed, you can request that he disclose them, and the court can set custody based on that...

Good luck and hope you keep us updated

---------- Post added at 09:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:07 PM ----------

I would also suggest that maybe look into law school for your self, cause if he keeps bringing you back every two years, it may be cost effective for yourself, to use the money for classes, maybe a degree, and be ready for the next go around, ~ Just a stray thought I had...
https://www.facebook.com/soloParent
MotherBoard is offline   Reply With Quote