Wild Dancing Thanksgivng Turkey Birth Certificate says we are married? - Single Parents Forum: Single Family Voices
All forums, topics and discussions are geared to single parents and the issues faced with single parenting.
Support a single parent today and one will support you back!

Go Back   Single Parents Forum: Single Family Voices >
(``'·.¸(``'·.¸ Single Parenting - Issues ¸.·'´´)¸.·'´´)
> Law & Legal Issues

Notices

~ Donate Today ~ PLEASE

Old 01-10-2016, 05:58 PM   #1
Smilefuture Male
I am New

Smilefuture is a name known to allSmilefuture is a name known to all
Default Birth Certificate says we are married?

So me and my ex split up a couple months ago and I been researching like crazy to understand how to establish parentage with my son, kept finding that as a dad, you need a affidavit to establish parentage. So I submitted a form with our state to our statistic department and they mailed me back my sons copy certificate and with a note saying that the birth-certificate was filled as that we are married under the birthcertificate so no affidavit is needed.

I am confused because we never married??
So now my questions is is it necessary to divorce to proceed with a parenting plan?

Or is a birth certificate all I need to establish parentage? I am just confused if I will be asked to provide divorce papers along the way even though we never married to establish a parental plan.
Smilefuture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 11:13 AM   #2
MotherBoard Female
Making The Magic Happen
Mother Of The Board

MotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of Support
Default Re: Birth Certificate says we are marrie

if you are listed as the father or mother of the child on his/her birth certificate. you are then established as the parent.
https://www.facebook.com/soloParent
MotherBoard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 01:14 AM   #3
IreneGrider Female
I am New

IreneGrider is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah! Name on the birth certificate established you both as a parent. What's the current situation? Have you consulted an attorney. I think they would suggest you some useful advice. Many social websites give the different lawyers references and also explain their services and policies.
IreneGrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 06:02 AM   #4
artsy mom Female
On the Board

artsy mom is a glorious beacon of lightartsy mom is a glorious beacon of light

You divorce spouses, not children. I agree with the above posters. The BC states you as parents and has no affect on your marital status.
It is important, because if there is a government form or your child has to replace their BC at some point, one of the questions will ask the names of their birth parents.
If you 2 were living common-law, depending on common-law laws where you are, you may be entitled to equal assets.
artsy mom is offline   Reply With Quote