Wild Dancing Thanksgivng Turkey Taxes and Child Support - Single Parents Forum: Single Family Voices
All forums, topics and discussions are geared to single parents and the issues faced with single parenting.
Support a single parent today and one will support you back!

Go Back   Single Parents Forum: Single Family Voices >
(``'·.¸(``'·.¸ Single Parenting - Issues ¸.·'´´)¸.·'´´)
> Law & Legal Issues

Notices

~ Donate Today ~ PLEASE

Old 08-22-2014, 12:24 AM   #1
azndad Male
I am New

azndad is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Taxes and Child Support

I wanted to ask a few questions about taxes and child support, but would like to explain my situation first.

I am a lucky dad of an energetic loving 5 year old girl. Her mother and I split when she was 1. Currently, I am a music teacher in Colorado (tenured on Tuesday yay!) at a high performing elementary school and am receiving a decent pay due to obtaining a master's degree back in December. Working my tail off for a 4.0GPA, I have become quite adept at teaching music and have been accepted as a well-respected member of my school.
Attempting to be objective about my daughter's mother, here is her situation. She currently is a rock band singer. According to her, she and her husband combined make less than me (even though their house costs more than mine). As a result, she has threatened to take me to court on multiple occasions to pursue child support. She also wants to claim our daughter as a dependent.

Financially, I provide 50% of my daughter's expenses, and my daughter's grandma, mom's mom, provides about 40-45%. The mother only provides 5-10%, covering clothes, food, and other necessities when my daughter is with her. On paper records, I provides our daughter's childcare, medical insurance, funds for extracurricular activities on top all the necessities when she is with me. Grandma then pays me back. We have 50/50 parenting time with no court agreement, only a verbal one (shared custody correct?).

Finally questions!
1. Can my daughter's mother pursue child support even though she pays for my daughter's necessity?
2. Can she claim my daughter as a dependent even though I pay for a significantly higher percentage of the expenses?

Thank you for any and all advice you can provide.
azndad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 12:47 AM   #2
DaddyCakes Male
The Other White Meat!

DaddyCakes Is Rocken These Boards With SupportDaddyCakes Is Rocken These Boards With SupportDaddyCakes Is Rocken These Boards With SupportDaddyCakes Is Rocken These Boards With SupportDaddyCakes Is Rocken These Boards With SupportDaddyCakes Is Rocken These Boards With SupportDaddyCakes Is Rocken These Boards With SupportDaddyCakes Is Rocken These Boards With Support
Default Re: Taxes and Child Support

with no court order, I hope you have serious documentation.

if she pursues it, your time could be limited and yes, you could be paying significant child support.

Since she has threatened things, get a lawyer NOW and get a court order for custody/visitation.
Old 08-22-2014, 04:16 AM   #3
LSL Female
The blunt one;)

LSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support Legend

If you were married you have no rights. None. Can mom do all that. Yes. She absolutly can. I do not know how your state calculates cs. If it is a shared income model, what you pay for childcare and the parenting time you have would likely have yiu paying little support. If the calculation is a straight percentage of income... You are in trouble.

As a family law attorney... My free advice is this: get a some legal advice in yiur state NOW. Run... Do not walk.
Old 08-22-2014, 10:03 AM   #4
azndad Male
I am New

azndad is an unknown quantity at this point

And....how about the questions about claiming her as a dependent?
azndad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 11:59 AM   #5
DaddyCakes Male
The Other White Meat!

DaddyCakes Is Rocken These Boards With SupportDaddyCakes Is Rocken These Boards With SupportDaddyCakes Is Rocken These Boards With SupportDaddyCakes Is Rocken These Boards With SupportDaddyCakes Is Rocken These Boards With SupportDaddyCakes Is Rocken These Boards With SupportDaddyCakes Is Rocken These Boards With SupportDaddyCakes Is Rocken These Boards With Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by azndad View Post
And....how about the questions about claiming her as a dependent?
That all depends on who has the majority of Physical custody. in other words, who is the official resitential parent. Most states, even when you call it 50/50, someone always has 51% to the other's 49%.

If it's not spelled out specifically in a custody agreement, then it's whoever files first. just be cautious if there is no custody order because that can bite you in the rump!
Old 08-22-2014, 12:15 PM   #6
1staDad Male
Board Blazen Parent

1staDad Is Rocken These Boards With Support1staDad Is Rocken These Boards With Support1staDad Is Rocken These Boards With Support1staDad Is Rocken These Boards With Support1staDad Is Rocken These Boards With Support1staDad Is Rocken These Boards With Support1staDad Is Rocken These Boards With Support1staDad Is Rocken These Boards With Support1staDad Is Rocken These Boards With Support

Yes totally agree on both points. You need a custody agreement, which will cover the child support and who gets the dependent. As my attorney told me that dependent arrangement can become a bargaining chip. You can offer it up to get a waiver on child support, but given that you have higher income and most states seem to simply calculate on income, you will be the one paying given the 50/50 time. You would need almost a significant portion of time at least in our state to offset the income differential. In my case I made about 8 times what my ex did (she was unemployed so they provided the state minimum compensation in the calculation but she now has a job). Because I have the kids 80% of the time as she has no interest in having them, she actually owed me $124 per child for 3 kids in child support. My attorney advised me to waive that completely to not give her any leverage to push back so we deviated to $0 (the legal term for changing the amount willingly). The only reason she owed me anything was that she did not want parenting time. If we were at 50/50 I think I would have been around $1,000 total to her $400 or so the other way, so a swing of about $1,400.
1staDad is offline   Reply With Quote