Wild Dancing Thanksgivng Turkey Spousal Support Forever? - Single Parents Forum: Single Family Voices
All forums, topics and discussions are geared to single parents and the issues faced with single parenting.
Support a single parent today and one will support you back!

Go Back   Single Parents Forum: Single Family Voices >
(``'·.¸(``'·.¸ Single Parenting - Issues ¸.·'´´)¸.·'´´)
> Law & Legal Issues

Notices

~ Donate Today ~ PLEASE

Old 04-23-2014, 05:42 PM   #1
Tootalldad Male
On the Board

Tootalldad has a brilliant futureTootalldad has a brilliant futureTootalldad has a brilliant futureTootalldad has a brilliant futureTootalldad has a brilliant future
Default Spousal Support Forever?

My Ex and I divorced after 11 years of marriage in California. I have been paying her about $300 a month in Spousal support since our divorce 5 1/2 years ago. When we divorced I had it put in the divcorce papers signed by the judge that she should become self sufficient. They call it a Gavron Warning I believe. No time line was set. I know that in California any marriage over 10 years is considered a long term marriage and the spousal support can go unitl the death of the ex spouse or her remarriage.
My question is threefold. She worked the whole time during our marriage and we both raised the kids.
1. What would be my chances of getting the Alimony stopped or reduced since it has been half the time of our marriage and she hasn't made any effort in getting a better job? She makes good money, I just make more.
2. If I open up this can of worms by taking her to court am I exposing myself to paying even more alimony? Or does it stay based on the money I was making at the time of our divorce?
3. Would I be able to do this myself in court? I know that she doesn't want to pay an attorney and might just settle with a lesser amount for a length of time. I am worried if I go to court and she has an attorney I am going to get crushed!
Anyone sharing any advice or experience with this would be most appreciated.
Tootalldad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 06:54 PM   #2
LSL Female
The blunt one;)

LSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support Legend
Default Re: Spousal Support Forever?

I can only answer from Oregon law... some of this is just general.

So, generally, spousal support is modifiable when circumstances change. Namely, yours for the worse, or hers for the better. I always say look at the judgment. Closely. There is permanent, but usually that is for susie homemaker, not someone that is self-sufficient. Sounds to me like it is time to modify it so as to terminate it.

In Oregon, it would not go up like child support did because your income goes up.
Old 04-28-2014, 03:34 PM   #3
DaddyCakes Male
The Other White Meat!

DaddyCakes Is Rocken These Boards With SupportDaddyCakes Is Rocken These Boards With SupportDaddyCakes Is Rocken These Boards With SupportDaddyCakes Is Rocken These Boards With SupportDaddyCakes Is Rocken These Boards With SupportDaddyCakes Is Rocken These Boards With SupportDaddyCakes Is Rocken These Boards With SupportDaddyCakes Is Rocken These Boards With Support

And I have seen people go in front of Cali Judges without lawyer and the other side had a lawyer...Not only have alimony increased but lawyer fees ordered to add insult to injury.

If you proceed, do so with a lawyer and make sure your bases will be covered!
Old 04-29-2014, 11:18 PM   #4
Tootalldad Male
On the Board

Tootalldad has a brilliant futureTootalldad has a brilliant futureTootalldad has a brilliant futureTootalldad has a brilliant futureTootalldad has a brilliant future

I am hoping that since she worked the whole marriage and was told to become self sufficient that at least the court might reduce it and give me an end date for the future. I am starting to think that I should do it with an attorney. I do worry about just making it worse for myself. I also worry that they will just discontinue the spousal supprt but increase the child support. I wll try to talk to an attorney before I do anything. Thanks for your insight.
Tootalldad is offline   Reply With Quote