Wild Dancing Thanksgivng Turkey What Lawyers Do - Single Parents Forum: Single Family Voices
All forums, topics and discussions are geared to single parents and the issues faced with single parenting.
Support a single parent today and one will support you back!

Go Back   Single Parents Forum: Single Family Voices >
(``'·.¸(``'·.¸ Single Parenting - Issues ¸.·'´´)¸.·'´´)
> Law & Legal Issues

Notices

~ Donate Today ~ PLEASE

Old 05-23-2014, 10:19 PM   #1
LSL Female
The blunt one;)

LSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support Legend
Default What Lawyers Do

One thing I have noticed around this board is the amount of people who say, "My lawyer screwed me..." or "my lawyer doesn't care."

I can't speak for every lawyer, in every area of law, in every area in the country. I can speak for my small corner of the world. And most of us care. And usually if you think we screwed you, you likely didn't listen to us, or screwed yourself.

Let me tell you the real story of what we family law attorney's do.

1. We love a good trial -- but many of us recognize that what we do in the courtroom, vastly effects a child's life -- your child's. And so rather than going to a hearing and dumping manure on your soon to be ex, we like to try to work with a settlement. YOU might not win, but your KIDS will. And that is infinitely more important to us.

2. We work late. That's right. We don't have to. But there are times we are working past 5 o'clock to settle your case. We might be talking to opposing counsel until 10 o'clock the night before trial. That's right. We might. And you know what -- the judge likes nothing more than to have the parties settle. Again to spare your children.

3. We sometimes work really late. Example: opposing counsel dumps a trial memo on us at 5:00 p.m. the night before trial. There is a startling new allegation -- we WILL stay up talking to every witness, you, collateral witness, and write a response. Every. Single. Time. Sometimes if you see the fax that we send to the court that contains the memo, you see it is received at 1:44 a.m.

This is the majority of attorney's I know in my area. We know. This is what we do. We see what this does to people. How upsetting it is. How soul tearing, gut wretching. We see what your kids go through. We are the one's that read the counselor reports and interview them --- they tell us things you don't ever hear.

Here is where you get mad at us, but in reality is YOUR thing to deal with:

1. We are not therapists. That is right. We cannot heal you. We cannot correct your thinking errors. You must listen to our advice and implement it for our advice to work. But to call us with every time your spouse texts you -- yeah, that is not our job.

2. WARNING HARSH; We did not pick your spouse (stbx). You did. You are the one that chose to marry them. You are the one that chose to procreate with them. And this, "The baby was an accident" bit you like to say. I call bs. If you have "relations" with your partner, natural law states that pregnancy can be a result. Even when using birth control. Baby's aren't oopsies. They are natural result of the horizontal mamba. And this means that it is not my fault, and I cannot fix, what you created.

3. The law does not care about moral justice. Neither do lawyers. I have to deal with your legal issues -- how to split the property just and equitably. I need to figure out what is in your child's best interest. The law guides me on what that means, and how I figure it out. I am NOT here to "stick" it to your ex. I am here to do what the law says. Do I want the best possible outcome for you? Yes.

That's the reality in a nutshell. The reality is that our jobs are immense, with power and responsibility, but our powers are limited too.
Old 05-24-2014, 12:01 AM   #2
Dad1st4boys Male
Failure is not an Option.

Dad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of Support
Default Re: What Lawyers Do

I went Pro Bono for my Divorce, it tore me up inside. When my Exie came back for custody of my youngest two I got a lawyer...Wisest thing I did. Listen to your lawyer.

The Only Easy Day was Yesterday. NavSpecWar

If it is Important to us we make it happen.......
If it's not, then we make excuses...
Dad1st4boys is offline   Reply With Quote