Wild Dancing Thanksgivng Turkey How to get a passport for child question - Single Parents Forum: Single Family Voices
All forums, topics and discussions are geared to single parents and the issues faced with single parenting.
Support a single parent today and one will support you back!

Go Back   Single Parents Forum: Single Family Voices >
(``'·.¸(``'·.¸ Single Parenting - Issues ¸.·'´´)¸.·'´´)
> Law & Legal Issues

Notices

~ Donate Today ~ PLEASE

Old 11-29-2015, 04:28 AM   #1
AnswerForQues Female
I am New

AnswerForQues is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How to get a passport for child question

I thought that if anywhere I might find an answer, it's here- before calling the number I have to ask the passport people personally. I hate phone calls and I would hate to have to explain this situation if I can avoid it.

Okay so, I'm a single mom, and I want to get a passport for my 2 year old. I do not know who the father was, because I was drugged and assaulted. I went through a huge ordeal explaining it to the insurance people not so long ago and I'd really like to avoid that, as it causes too much stress I can handle at the moment.

My question is- can I walk in and get my child a passport and say I have sole custody with his birth certificate, or will I have to bring something else?

I'm hope there is another parent who is in my situation or a similar situation, and can explain to me. I would really love to take my son to visit some family, but am worried I will not be able to get him a passport. Thank you!
AnswerForQues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 10:21 AM   #2
MotherBoard Female
Making The Magic Happen
Mother Of The Board

MotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of Support
Default Re: How to get a passport for child ...

The goverment website is:
http://travel.state.gov/content/pass.../under-16.html

if there isnt any father on the certificate or another that has responsiblity for the child, then the standard rules will apply.

---------------------------
http://travel.state.gov/content/pass.../under-16.html

Quick facts about applying for a minor's passport
Minor passports are issued to children under age 16. Adult passports are issued to individuals age 16 and older.
  • Have 5 year validity; unlike adult passports that are valid for 10 years
  • Cost less than an adult passport
  • In most cases, require two parent consent
  • Cannot be renewed by mail
  • Require the DS-11 application whether a first time applicant or a returning applicant
  • Applying for a passport book and passport card at the same time will save you money
A passport card is wallet sized and a great form of identification for minors
Passport applications for minors under age 16, who have or have not had a passport in the past, must be submitted in person at a passport agency or authorized passport application acceptance facility. The minor must be present. Both parents or guardians should appear with the minor. If both parents/guardians cannot be present, see parental consent for additional document requirements.

What You Need to Apply
  • A completed DS-11 form
  • One 2”x2” passport photo
  • Evidence of child’s U.S. citizenship
  • Evidence of relationship between child and parent(s)/guardian(s)
  • Parent(s) or guardian(s) identification and photocopy of identification
  • Provide parental consent
  • Pay applicable fee
  • For a complete list of required forms and documents visit the Minors Under Age 16 section

hope that helps, and keep us updated
https://www.facebook.com/soloParent
MotherBoard is offline   Reply With Quote