Wild Dancing Thanksgivng Turkey my mother thinks she is a single parent - Single Parents Forum: Single Family Voices
All forums, topics and discussions are geared to single parents and the issues faced with single parenting.
Support a single parent today and one will support you back!

Go Back   Single Parents Forum: Single Family Voices >
(``'·.¸(``'·.¸ Relationships¸.·'´´)¸.·'´´)
> Your Parents as Single Parents

~ Donate Today ~ PLEASE

Old 01-25-2011, 12:35 AM   #1
daughter18 Female
I am New

daughter18 is an unknown quantity at this point
Lightbulb my mother thinks she is a single parent

ok my mother is 37 and she says she is a single parent. im her 18 year old daughter and my sister is 15. my mother and father were together for almost 25 years. and she decided she wanted more. so she has been seeing other people and it been about 6 months and every guy she talks to on the internet she tells them she loves them and wants them to buy her house. we are on housing and food stamps and other stuff she is manic depresive and bipolar. my dad still pays her car insurens and gives her gas money and buys her shoes and all us food when we need. it but it never enough for her. he pays for her car everything to get it fixed and she wants him to spend more more more. and all she does is complain and say she is a single parent when my dad will help if we need him hes always here for us and her. but she does not care. so it ok. but she is disrespectful to him and in return he is to her but yet he buys her stuff. i cant deal with it anymore. what do u guys think. give me ur honest answer
daughter18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 12:57 AM   #2
EODark Female
I am New

EODark has a brilliant futureEODark has a brilliant futureEODark has a brilliant futureEODark has a brilliant future
Default Re: my mother thinks she is a single par

I think that if your mother is bipolar then you should first look after yourself. It is an extremely difficult disorder to try to understand. I suggest looking at local community centers and seeing what kind of information they have about it or perhaps support groups for you, your sister and your father. You can't live your mom's life for her. She's the one who can make things better when she's ready. Good luck to you
EODark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 01:09 PM   #3
kitcat Female
Board Blazen Parent

kitcat Is Rocken These Boards With Supportkitcat Is Rocken These Boards With Supportkitcat Is Rocken These Boards With Supportkitcat Is Rocken These Boards With Supportkitcat Is Rocken These Boards With Supportkitcat Is Rocken These Boards With Supportkitcat Is Rocken These Boards With Supportkitcat Is Rocken These Boards With Support

Just to clarify something Manic Depressive and Bipolar are the same thing.

Is your mother on medication? You can't force someone to get treatment that doesnt want it. But as EO said, most communities have mental health programs where they will treat the patient based on income.

But for you, your sis and your father I would also suggest contacting you local NAMI chapter. (national alliance for the mentally ill). It's a great organization. I know ours offers informative classes for patients, spouses, children and siblings, and any one who wants to learn more.

I am speaking from personal experience that a parent with bipolar disorder can cause havoc for themselves and on those around them, but can also be stable on medication a live a 'normal' functional life.

Its taken me a long time, but I've been stable on meds for about 7 years now.
kitcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 05:51 PM   #4
idig Female
SFV JUNKIE!!!

idig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legend

My mom is bipolar too. At least that is one of her diagnoses and the one my sister and I agree most with.

All you can do is educate yourself and offer to help her get help, but in the end it is up to her.

I am going to check out this NAMI myself. With all the hospitals and doctors we've been through and to, I had never heard of NAMI until SFV
Old 02-23-2011, 06:18 AM   #5
Bluemoon Female
just an old hippie chick

Bluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support Legend

Same here. My mothers mental illness has ruled my family all of my life and it still would if I hadn't refused to participate anymore.
It took me 45 years and countless attempts to help her help herself before I finally accepted that all my efforts were doing was making me feel as sick as she was.

Your mother has an illness, but remember that a great deal of her suffering is still by choice. The minuet she refuses real professional help, she chooses her suffering.

If you want to help her get professional help your best bet is to approach her with it when she is in the depressed part of the cycle. You will have little chance of success when she is manic, unless she has a panic attack.

To disagree, one doesn't have to be disagreeable. ~Barry M. Goldwater and Jack Casserly, Goldwater

Life is all about how you handle Plan B. ~ off a Blue Mountain Arts calendar
Bluemoon is offline   Reply With Quote