Single Parents Forum: Single Family Voices

Go Back   Single Parents Forum: Single Family Voices >
(``'·.¸(``'·.¸ Single Parent Ville ¸.·'´´)¸.·'´´)
> Single Parents in the United States of America > Colorado

Old 03-12-2004, 09:54 PM   #1
DevilScooby
I am New

DevilScooby is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello everyone. I am a new member and am just checking the forums out. I never realized there was anything like this! I live in Colorado and haven't really noticed anyone else from here. I'm a single mother with a 9 month old daughter.
DevilScooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2004, 09:31 PM   #2
vivbaby
I am New

vivbaby is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello!
Yes, I am in Denver, I am very new to the site and was actually looking for a real live group (I won't say support group) and was surprised at how scarce they are here. I am 25 and have a 16 month old daughter. I don't know many people my age with kids, those I do know have partners; my daughter's father and I split up six months ago. How great it is to be alone after that mess!
vivbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2004, 10:19 AM   #3
stephanieanne
Parent on Board

stephanieanne is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello!

My daughters and I moved to Colorado Springs, Colorado, a little over a year ago, and I just found this site this morning, as I too, have been searching for a "single mom's in need of someone to talk to" group, here locally.

My daughters are 8 and 7, and we had to move from California, to escape an abusive relationship. After not having worked in almost 10 years (his way of controlling me), I am happy to say I have been employed full-time since we moved here...however, it has been difficult, I literally had to start over at the age of 44, and while we squeak by, sometimes I feel as if it is so overwhelming.

How are you handling life?
stephanieanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 04:20 PM   #4
david6789
I am New

david6789 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

Wow this is an old thread! I am a single dad in colorado springs. Anyone else want to chat PM me.

8)

Dave
david6789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 07:27 PM   #5
Texas Sistar
Learning to Surf The Board

Texas Sistar is an unknown quantity at this point
hi2 Re: Anyone from Colorado???

I know this is an old thread but I'm here to give contact a shot! I will be moving from Texas to Colorado soon, I have 3 kids. The oldest is 16 and my 2 young ones are 7 and 5. Colorado has been calling my name for some time now. My uncle is entrusting me with 240 acres in the San Louis valley close to Alamosa. I have big dreams for what to do with it, but I am terrified of moving with no support. I am trying to research the best town to move to. The plans for the land will take time and my kids need a home first. Preferably in a town, with people hehe. I read that Fort Collins is the happiest place to be but Colorado Springs is the best place for single parents. I need to get my kids away from Texas and all the pain we have suffered here. I wonder if diversity is an issue in say, Montrose where I have a job interview waiting for me. My two youngest are bi-racial kids and I do not want them to feel alone. Hmm, if ya hear me let me know.
Texas Sistar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 11:38 PM   #6
Dad1st4boys
Failure is not an Option.

Dad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of Support
Default Re: Anyone from Colorado???

Alamosa is a dusty flat place with extreme cold in the winter. That is where I met my x and we were married. It was mid Nov, snow over 3 foot and temp was -40* ( No that was not wind chill either). Alamosa and the San Luis Valley is one of the coldest places in the lower 48 states.
The winds average 30 - 45 MPH... normally afternoon. especially in the summer. Summers are hot and dry. Drilling a well is not easy, wells can go as deep as several thousand feet and still be dry. You must get a well permit, and it's only good for household use. If you plan on running livestock.. you might have grass to run a cow/calf pair every 5 acres or so. Do some checking and go see that land.If it's in the bottom of the valley it might be very barren. If it's on the slops close to the timber then it might be good for hunting and recreational use.
Alamosa is also very closed community. Good people, but hard to get in. Many families go back to the 1st settlers. The town of San Louis dates back to the 1st Spanish Missionaries with Cortez looking for El Dorado.
If you can find a copy read the "Malgro Bean Field Wars" I met some people who claimed to be the basis for some of the people in the book. The book described the Valley well.
The Springs is a good mix of peoples, but has grown into a big city. If Ft Carson was not where it is there would be a huge solid city running from Pueblo to North of Denver.
I miss the Old Colorado when you could go camp for free along the Ark River.

The Only Easy Day was Yesterday. NavSpecWar

If it is Important to us we make it happen.......
If it's not, then we make excuses...
Dad1st4boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 12:58 AM   #7
Texas Sistar

Aww. I've heard that said about parts of Central Texas. Interesting. Thank you for that tidbit of info. Yeah from what I read Alamosa seems to be a pretty rough place. As long as you don't mind a few lines in your pretty face as we have said here. I'm certainly not ready for that kind of cold right now. The land has a well still from when my great great grandfather lived there, but the house is long gone hehe. There is an irrigation ditch there is access too. I know that valley is special. That will all be a long term project. Starting in the summers but I want to live kinda close to it. Don't think I'll be runnin livestock out there any time soon. I'll keep an eye out for that book.
Old 06-12-2014, 01:31 PM   #8
Dad1st4boys
Failure is not an Option.

Dad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of Support

I did love the Valley though.

The Only Easy Day was Yesterday. NavSpecWar

If it is Important to us we make it happen.......
If it's not, then we make excuses...
Dad1st4boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 05:48 PM   #9
Bluemoon
just an old hippie chick

Bluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support Legend

I'm pretty sure The Milagro Bean Wars was made into a movie, too. I don't know if it would be as true to the area as the book though.

To disagree, one doesn't have to be disagreeable. ~Barry M. Goldwater and Jack Casserly, Goldwater

Life is all about how you handle Plan B. ~ off a Blue Mountain Arts calendar
Bluemoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 12:39 AM   #10
Texas Sistar

humm Re: Anyone from Colorado???

You know Bluemoon, I was looking at some nice employment in Lafayette but I also read that is where a couple of residents are suing the town for not enforcing the fracking law.