Single Parents Forum: Single Family Voices

Go Back   Single Parents Forum: Single Family Voices >
(``'·.¸(``'·.¸ Single Parenting - Through The Ages¸.·'´´)¸.·'´´)
> Child Care

Notices

Old 07-26-2016, 12:28 PM   #1
awalls86
I am New

awalls86 is an unknown quantity at this point
humm What to do about summer childcare?

Hello, I am a single mom with a 3 year old daughter. She is about to be 4 years old on January 1. She is currently in daycare, but most daycare centers where I live only allow children up to 3 years old. So, I will be looking into Pre-k 4 soon. So, it just hit me today the question of what I am going to do from elementary to high school when she is out of the summer? Her dad gets visitation for four weeks out of the summer in TX (I live in Louisiana), usually about the 1st of June for 2 weeks and then the 1st of August for 2 weeks. Therefore, I don't know if there are summer camps that I can get her into that would fit into this visitation schedule. I found a site than mentions joining an online forum where mom's exchange info and take turns watching each other's kids while the other is at work. While that would work, I just feel like I need to know the other person kind of well before I just leave my child with them. Another things is I am kind of a loner and a introverted person. Not sure, why but I just have a hard time making friends. In fact, I have no friends. The only friend I had since middle school (my ex best friend/child's father) broke up with me 2 years ago. So, I have no one. I live with my sister currently, but she's going to eventually move to another state on her own. I know that I will need to try harder to make friends and meet other single moms. However, I wanted to ask your advice for any other options to summer child care that I may be overlooking?

Thank you,

Ashley Walls
awalls86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 06:29 PM   #2
muskiedad
the one who babbles

muskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legend
Default Re: What to do about summer childcare?

I was fortunate that I had grandmothers to pitch in when my ex walked. Any chance of extended family helping out?
muskiedad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 12:37 PM   #3
awalls86
I am New

Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately, the relatives I have on my dad's side of the family all live in Mississippi and I am restricted by the TX courts to only live in TX or LA. There a few who on my mom's side who live about 45 min away from me, but they don't communicate with us much since my mom died, plus they have issues to where I wouldn't/couldn't trust them with my daughter. Even my dad is unreliable because since my mom died he has really gone off the deep end and let's just say he's not making the best life choices right now. So, it's just me & my sister, but she's eventually going to move off on her own to another state & I will not have any help. The only option is go to TX where my child's father's family lives near them, and I can't do that either because there are a lot of controlling issues with his mother. She doesn't respect me as my child's mother and will end up overstepping her boundaries. She has before when I was living up there with before me & my ex broke up. I just don't know what to do. I have no one to help me & don't know how I'm going to keep this all up by myself.
Old 07-27-2016, 03:10 PM   #4
muskiedad
the one who babbles

muskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legend

Maybe a kids playgroup would offer leads into solutions? Sorry, but I just don't know. The cost of private is formidable!
muskiedad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 03:30 PM   #5
zomom
Sweet & Sassy

zomom Has Heart and Soul of an Angelzomom Has Heart and Soul of an Angelzomom Has Heart and Soul of an Angelzomom Has Heart and Soul of an Angelzomom Has Heart and Soul of an Angelzomom Has Heart and Soul of an Angelzomom Has Heart and Soul of an Angelzomom Has Heart and Soul of an Angelzomom Has Heart and Soul of an Angelzomom Has Heart and Soul of an Angelzomom Has Heart and Soul of an Angel

Hi there.
Have you checked with your local human services? They can help with the cost of daycares. Also the YMCA has lots of activities and offer scholarships based on income levels.
Also going to parks at the same day and times is a way to get to know play mates. I was lucky enough to meet a couple of really cool moms that way.
Old 07-27-2016, 04:32 PM   #6
awalls86
I am New

Hi zomom,

Yes, I have applied for child care assistance in Louisiana, but the process takes a long time. I applied almost a month and a half ago. But, I'm talking child care from about elementary school and onward for summer. Are there summer daycares for children 5 and up? Thank you for mentioning the YMCA. We are members, so I definitely will look into that. I will try everything you mentioned. Thanks for your reply.
Old 08-30-2016, 07:03 AM   #7
flynntr
Banned For Spam

flynntr is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for sharing
flynntr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 02:41 AM   #8
paullypaczews
I am New

paullypaczews is an unknown quantity at this point

If you are in California, you can find one on kidwith.us
paullypaczews is offline   Reply With Quote