Wild Dancing Thanksgivng Turkey biracial daughter - Single Parents Forum: Single Family Voices
All forums, topics and discussions are geared to single parents and the issues faced with single parenting.
Support a single parent today and one will support you back!

Go Back   Single Parents Forum: Single Family Voices >
(``'·.¸(``'·.¸ Single Parenting - Issues ¸.·'´´)¸.·'´´)
> Interracial Single Families

~ Donate Today ~ PLEASE

Old 03-03-2006, 02:21 PM   #1
jadynsmama
I am New

jadynsmama is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello,
this may sound odd but I need a little advice about what to do for my daughters hair and skin. I am white and my daughters father is mixed, so my daughter is mixed (black/white). My daughter is 5 months old and I dont know if I should be using a conditioner in her hair? I put lotion on her all the time. My brother is from china and when he has really dry skin he gets patches on his skin so I am making sure that that doesnt happen. But I am just not sure about some things. I was just wondering if anyone could help me.

Thanks
jadynsmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 03:56 PM   #2
Kerry821
Board Member

Kerry821 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey, and welcome to SFV. My 7yr old daughter is bi-racial also. Fortunately her hair is very soft not course at all but very curly and long so we condition it every other night and always wet it down with water and leave in conditioner before i brush it. It can get very knotted and is a total nightmare. I usually use Palmers Cocoa Butter lotion on her skin everyday in the winter it works great and smells good.If she's only 5 months old i wouldn't worry about conditioning her hair now i always used a baby shampoo untill she got older.
Kerry821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 12:13 AM   #3
MegD427
I am New

MegD427 is an unknown quantity at this point

My son Will is bi-racial; I am Asian and his father is black. He is only 4 months old, so his hair is still silky but it is quite curly. He has dry skin though. The pediatrician told me to use Eucerin to help with that dry patches. So far that has worked great!
MegD427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 12:21 AM   #4
CA
Setting New Standards

CA is an unknown quantity at this point

If her hair is still soft and silky like most every baby, then no. Just use baby shampoo and put lotion on her skin. Eucerin is great for dry patches.

If her hair get more coarse as she ages then you can start adding a light hair oil or leave in conditioner.
CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 09:37 AM   #5
the sane one
Lively & Zealous Parent

the sane one is an unknown quantity at this point

I have a different kind of question. My baby is not born yet, and she (yes, I found out that's what she is)is half black. I dont know how I am going to do her hair. I dont even know how her hair is going to come out. Mine is straight, and fine. Hopefully it will be a nice combo. because I'm afraid I wont know what to do with her hair when she gets older. I thought if I had a boy it would be easy. I could just buzz cut it. CA what are your thoughts? I know you're a hair dresser, and that your daughter is mixed. Do you do her hair?
the sane one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 01:51 AM   #6
Tucson Superwoman
Board Blazen Parent

Tucson Superwoman is an unknown quantity at this point

My oldest girl is half black and has beautiful curly long hair Id die for! However, when she was little I had no clue how to do it. She gets mad now when she sees old pics of her hair-how I used to do it..(shes 21 now)
Anyways, Ive learned better since then, I would say keep it conditioned when she gets around 2 years ols use something for it or it can dry out faster. I like this stuff called "Pink Lotion" it works great and smells good. And when you want to do something special withher hair-take her to a salon where they know how to do African-American hair. My daughter still dont know how to braid good or do cornrows, and she takes her little girl there sometimes. Her daughter is 3 quarters black and her hair is more drier and curlier. Well good luck you'll great and congrats on the princess coming into the world!
Tucson Superwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 12:01 PM   #7
the sane one
Lively & Zealous Parent

Thanks for the suggestions. I hope she (my baby) has long, beautiful, curly hair. Guess I'll have to wait and see.
Old 03-25-2006, 11:02 PM   #8
PITA
Setting New Standards

PITA is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't want to do an AD but I swear by Biolage Ultra-Hydrating Shampoo and Conditioner. I can use it on my hair as well so I don't feel like I am spending a ton of money. They also have an anti-frizz serum and spray leave in conditioner that I use as well. You should also avoid washing his and her hair but once or twice a week depending on how much oil they are producing.
PITA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 11:02 PM   #9
CA
Setting New Standards

Hey Pita,
Good press. It is really good shampoo and conditioner. I have forund though if someone has skin allergies to products, Biolage and Rusk are major culprits. If no allergies are present then use away because both product lines work great.
Old 04-03-2006, 11:30 PM   #10
BusyMama
I am New

BusyMama is an unknown quantity at this point

My oldest daughter has very coarse, long, nappy ( for lack of a better term ) reddish brown hair. She is 6 years old and I have tried every product on the market to do something with her hair. i just recently tried the Motions line, shampoo, conditioner and oil therapy. They are wonderful !! I can actually get a comb through her hair and they are light, not greasy. I think they would even work on your baby's hair. I had an african american stylist tell me it is never to early to start putting something on your daughter's hair because what you really want to do is moisterize her scalp. As for the dry skin, it is very common for biracial children to have excema, which is dry itchy patches on the skin. I would just mention it to your doctor at the next well child checkup and he can give you a prescription. All three of my daughters had it as a baby but have since grown out of it. Good luck with both issues
BusyMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 11:36 PM   #11
Re-Mom Female
Mainiac

Re-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of Support

I use aveeno on my kid's skin. They have horrendous eczema and I find it is the only thing that really soothes it. They even have a thicker anti-itch one that is also soothing for rashes. It is wonderful.
Re-Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 10:20 AM   #12
the sane one
Lively & Zealous Parent

Is "black" hair dry? I am soo nervous now about my baby. So I should not was her hair more than once a week, even when she is a baby. (In retrospect, I didnt wash my first daughters hair that much when she was a baby.) I am going to have to print this page so I have something to refer to. I didnt know about the eczema, but now that I think of it, in my daughters class is a bi-racial girl, and I think I saw a dry patch on her forehead. So I have to be careful of her skin, and her hair.
Old 04-04-2006, 11:32 PM   #13
CA
Setting New Standards

Sane,
Typically yes but, most people mistake the usual rough texture and lack of shine to be dry. The rough texture is due to a larger amount of cuticle (the outside of the hair strand). The lack of shine is typical of all curly hair because the light is not reflected like it is on straight hair. shampoo her hair according to her scalp condition. Many babies have oily scalps and they need to be shampooed frequently to prevent cradle cap.
Eczema is common but kids usually out grow it. I used everything on Evie, including prescription creams but, the only thing that worked well was my glycolic hand cream. I stumbled upon that. She outgrew it about 8 years old.
Old 04-05-2007, 10:55 PM   #14
msmltvcktl
Board Member

msmltvcktl is an unknown quantity at this point

OK, first, I hate to tell you, but your daughter isn't "biracial" in the half black, half white sense. She's 75% white, so you should treat her as such! Her hair shouldn't be a problem; if it's curly you might try Johnson & Johnson's extra conditioning baby shampoo. I use this on my daughter's hair and it works wonderfully! She HATES it when I put lotion on her skin, but I use Aveeno lavender and vanilla baby lotion which smells AMAZING.
msmltvcktl is offline   Reply With Quote