Wild Dancing Thanksgivng Turkey the displaced homemakers program? - Single Parents Forum: Single Family Voices
All forums, topics and discussions are geared to single parents and the issues faced with single parenting.
Support a single parent today and one will support you back!

Go Back   Single Parents Forum: Single Family Voices >
(``'·.¸(``'·.¸ Single Parent Mothers ¸.·'´´)¸.·'´´)
> 30 - Something Single Moms

~ Donate Today ~ PLEASE

Old 02-12-2014, 11:15 AM   #1
lesley33 Female
I am New

lesley33 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default the displaced homemakers program?

Has anyone ever heard of it?
Not sure if its just an Nj thing i didnt think to check.
anyhow wanted to know if anyones ever gone there and used their services.
i have an appt there nxt week.
lesley33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 02:53 PM   #2
MotherBoard Female
Making The Magic Happen
Mother Of The Board

MotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of Support
Default Re: the displaced homemakers program?

we have that here in Florida too. Its a great program that will help in many aspects of a single parents life. update up and tell us how the programs works for you if you do try it.

its a federal program

heres more about it
http://www.businessweek.com/articles...makers-to-work
https://www.facebook.com/soloParent
MotherBoard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 03:11 PM   #3
momofTDR Female
Marja

momofTDR Is Rocken These Boards With SupportmomofTDR Is Rocken These Boards With SupportmomofTDR Is Rocken These Boards With SupportmomofTDR Is Rocken These Boards With SupportmomofTDR Is Rocken These Boards With SupportmomofTDR Is Rocken These Boards With SupportmomofTDR Is Rocken These Boards With SupportmomofTDR Is Rocken These Boards With SupportmomofTDR Is Rocken These Boards With SupportmomofTDR Is Rocken These Boards With SupportmomofTDR Is Rocken These Boards With Support

I used it. Here, it was called WIA, Workforce In Action through the dept. Of labor. It was good, they helped immensely with my first two years of school. Would have taught me basic work skills if I had not already had them. In my state, your education choice had to be a 2-year program. I ended up deciding not to finish it (just a few classes shy) because of the type of career choice I made was so male dkminated, without local family to help, I would not have been able to keep primary custody. But, all in all, really good experience.
Old 02-13-2014, 10:01 AM   #4
lesley33 Female
I am New

Oh wow.
ok.
thanks for letting me know.
yeah, it seems like itll be a big help.
im looking forward to meeting with them and seeing whats avaikable.
im a bit nervous too--but excited.
Old 02-13-2014, 03:36 PM   #5
momofTDR Female
Marja

momofTDR Is Rocken These Boards With SupportmomofTDR Is Rocken These Boards With SupportmomofTDR Is Rocken These Boards With SupportmomofTDR Is Rocken These Boards With SupportmomofTDR Is Rocken These Boards With SupportmomofTDR Is Rocken These Boards With SupportmomofTDR Is Rocken These Boards With SupportmomofTDR Is Rocken These Boards With SupportmomofTDR Is Rocken These Boards With SupportmomofTDR Is Rocken These Boards With SupportmomofTDR Is Rocken These Boards With Support

Oh, and if it happens to be 2 years to completion requirement, I highly recommend you avoid a tech school. Not sure, as every university is different, but here, our tech programs, while on he University campus, andnproviding an Associates of Applied Science through said university don't articulate into a bachelor's degree other than a Bachelors of Applied Science. That is pretty much a generic B.A.S degree with he specialty you took for the associates. So, for example, I chose a Associate in Civil Engineering tech. When I got close enough I was seriously looking and applying for jobs I decided it would not work. I wanted to get eith a BS in Geotechnical Engineering or a BS in Geology. Other than about 4 general education classes (Comm 101, Engl 101, and a humanities class or two), NOTHING else helped me. I has 98 college credits, of which 16 could be used in other Colleges at the university. So, I was essentially sarting a 8-10 semester (4-5 year) Bachelors degree with 16 credits and I had been in school 2.5 years. In 2011, the law changed, capping how many semesters one can get pell grants for to 12. I used 5 for my almost Associates...7 semesters to get my Bachelors. Since I ended up chooseing a degree in Secondary Ed, taking enough classes to be able to teach ALL science subjects, I now have 2 semesters I will have to pay out of pocket.

aAll that said, choose a regular university or community college and get an Associates Degree. Not an applied or tech school degree. You want somehing that will leave you with 2ish years to get your bachelors.

---------- Post added at 12:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:35 PM ----------

Sorry for typos, on a touchscreen device
Old 02-15-2014, 02:51 PM   #6
lesley33 Female
I am New

Wow. you mustve been mad!
Thanks for the heads up!