Wild Dancing Thanksgivng Turkey Living in the USA! - Single Parents Forum: Single Family Voices
All forums, topics and discussions are geared to single parents and the issues faced with single parenting.
Support a single parent today and one will support you back!

Go Back   Single Parents Forum: Single Family Voices >
(``'·.¸(``'·.¸ Single Parent Mothers ¸.·'´´)¸.·'´´)
> 30 - Something Single Moms

~ Donate Today ~ PLEASE

Old 05-29-2014, 08:11 AM   #1
aussiemummy Female
I am New

aussiemummy is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Living in the USA!

Hi 30 somethings,
I hope it is ok that I post here. I wasn't quite sure where to start as I am only new here, and I thought my age range would be a good place!
My daughter and I are moving to NYC in January for 6 months, and I was hoping to ask you all for some help! Any info you have to offer about life in the USA would be much appreciated including schooling for my daughter (who will be 7 when we arrive).
I will be studying full time and will have a very limited budget, so money saving tips would be good too!
I would really love to build some friendships on here, so moving over doesn't seem as daunting as it seems right now!
I would also like to ask about how you support your families over there? We have a pretty good welfare system here, who will be partially funding my trip and supporting my daughter and I while I live over there, which is really nice. But I would like to get to know more about life for single moms in the USA!
Hope to hear from you!
aussiemummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 01:58 PM   #2
Dad1st4boys Male
Failure is not an Option.

Dad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of Support
Default Re: Living in the USA!

Howdy! and Welcome to the US.

NYC is very expensive. And there is a whole lot of big country outside the city.

I hope you have a great time and make lots of good friends.

The Only Easy Day was Yesterday. NavSpecWar

If it is Important to us we make it happen.......
If it's not, then we make excuses...
Dad1st4boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 09:01 PM   #3
Virgo69 Female
A Cuddly Porcupine

Virgo69 Has Heart and Soul of an AngelVirgo69 Has Heart and Soul of an AngelVirgo69 Has Heart and Soul of an AngelVirgo69 Has Heart and Soul of an AngelVirgo69 Has Heart and Soul of an AngelVirgo69 Has Heart and Soul of an AngelVirgo69 Has Heart and Soul of an AngelVirgo69 Has Heart and Soul of an AngelVirgo69 Has Heart and Soul of an AngelVirgo69 Has Heart and Soul of an AngelVirgo69 Has Heart and Soul of an Angel

Single life here in the USA is very different as far as support systems, childcare, welfare, etc. At the same time, we live in a great country that has it's positive points.

Single people here have to rely on our family, friends, and our own tenacity... with a whole lot of prayer and luck to make a go of it.
Old 05-30-2014, 02:35 AM   #4
aussiemummy Female
I am New

Thanks for the welcome. I am hoping to do a little bit of travelling around the usa while I am there (if I can afford it)! I was in NYC last year and have also been to LA & Hawaii, but that was a long time ago.
What is your favourite place in the USA. It is such a diverse country! Can't wait to be there!

---------- Post added at 03:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:30 PM ----------

In what way is it different? All single parents in Australia are supported financially by the government until their children go to school. Is childcare easily accessible? Is there after school care programs? Are they expensive. Here, when you study childcare is subsidised too, so Im not used to paying a huge amount for after care.
Old 05-30-2014, 03:02 AM   #5
LSL Female
The blunt one;)

LSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support Legend

Our social welfare programs are almost non-existant. Everything here is based on income eligibility. And you have to be REALLY poor to qualify for any help. There is no universal health care. And it is expensive. Only the poorest, elderly, and children of poor parents qualify for government healthcare. We are NOT supported financially. A family has to make less than minimum wage to qualify for food stamps (or a food allowance per month). Cash assistance is almost non-existence. You have to be poorer than poor with no options. There is housing assistance, but again, you have to be making less than minimum wage to get help. And in my state, there is a two year waiting period. Child care is not subsidized for most. If you make less than minimum wage, then you likely will get assistance, but otherwise not.

Oh, and minimum wage alone is not enough to raise a family one. Some work multiple jobs to make ends meet for their children.

I studied international welfare. The US's system is piss poor for such a wealthy and industrialized nation.

But you have to understand the fabric, legend, and mindset of America. There is a very individualist attitude-- just pull yourself up by your bootstraps and do it. Welfare here is shameful in most circles. It is not something to be proud of and it comes with a stigma. There was a time in my life I needed food stamps and I was ashamed to use my card in the stores. People would see what I purchased and not agree with some items and make comments as if it were their right to do so... and because they paid taxes (by the way I did too), that this gave them a right. People believe in the individual over the collective good of all. This is a foreign concept for many from other nations.
Old 05-30-2014, 07:52 AM   #6
aussiemummy Female
I am New

I had a basic understanding of the social system there, but this gives me a bit more insight. Wow.
Our government has just released the budget for this financial year, & a lot of people who will be affected by budget cuts are really angry- mostly single parents, low income & the elderly. I often compare our situation with single parents in the US & think we are so lucky. Unfortunately though, I think it does create a sense of entitlement in some people.
Fortunately, since having my daughter I have completed a diploma and am in the middle of finishing a degree. I have worked on and off during that time. I am really looking forward to getting back into work full time though! That will be when I get back from the US
I really commend you on the hard work you put in for your family. You have obviously done it hard & have had to deal with the stigma that is often attached to being a single parent (we get that here too, however I think it is to a lesser extent). I, like 99% of single parents, did not choose to be in this situation (my daughter's father was physically and mentally abusive), & so I can sympathise with you on the difficulties single parents face.
Old 06-20-2015, 10:48 PM   #7
runnarsaurus Female
I am New

runnarsaurus is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiemummy View Post
Thanks for the welcome. I am hoping to do a little bit of travelling around the usa while I am there (if I can afford it)! I was in NYC last year and have also been to LA & Hawaii, but that was a long time ago.
What is your favourite place in the USA. It is such a diverse country! Can't wait to be there!

---------- Post added at 03:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:30 PM ----------

In what way is it different? All single parents in Australia are supported financially by the government until their children go to school. Is childcare easily accessible? Is there after school care programs? Are they expensive. Here, when you study childcare is subsidised too, so Im not used to paying a huge amount for after care.

Hey,

I am also Australia. I live in LA. I'm 32 and pregnant for the first time, and the dad (an American guys) doesn't want to be with me so i'm doing this alone. I think you're going to find things VERY different in the US than they are in Australia. Back home, single parents (or parents in general) get a lot of help from the government and it's really not such a big deal. Here, that doesn't exist. Childcare is incredibly expensive (for example, I'm looking at about 1000 a month here for my newborn in LA). I'm only a teacher and earn less than 55 grand a year, so that's pretty much inaffordable to me. Rent is crazy expensive in LA, and I know in NY its even worse. You're going to need a good, strong job to make it work in a city like NY because you'll get no financial help of any kind in the US - especially because you're an immigrant. Don't even get me started on healthcare...

Needless to say, I am absolutely terrified about being a single parent here on my own. I have no idea how I'm supposed to make this work.
runnarsaurus is offline   Reply With Quote