Wild Dancing Thanksgivng Turkey My issue when I take my girls to APPT. - Single Parents Forum: Single Family Voices
All forums, topics and discussions are geared to single parents and the issues faced with single parenting.
Support a single parent today and one will support you back!

Go Back   Single Parents Forum: Single Family Voices >
(``'·.¸(``'·.¸ Single Parenting - Issues ¸.·'´´)¸.·'´´)
> Interracial Single Families

~ Donate Today ~ PLEASE

Old 10-19-2009, 04:18 PM   #1
hotpitmomma
Getting My Feet (Board) Wet

hotpitmomma is an unknown quantity at this point
humm My issue when I take my girls to APPT.

First let me say I am a African American mom. My girls are multiracial with there last name being HERNANDEZ. My girls are 4 y/o and 4 mts old. When my 4 yr old was 1st born I would sit forever waiting on them to call my daughter's name. Problem was they automatic assumed I was hispanic so they would call her in Spanish. So here I am waiting on my child's name to be called and they been called her it just that I don't speak a lick of Spanish. LOL (Side note--there other side does not speak spanish either only person I ever met on that side that does is the GREAT GREAT grandma) So I just had another daughter who is now 4 mts and it feels like DEJA VU all over again. When I arrive at places I tell them I don't speak spanish so please don't call there info in Spanish. Sometimes they do sometimes they don't. So when there info is called in English I get up to take my kids in the back with the Nurse and they look at me crazy and will say "HERNANDEZ Window ........" I say yeah dats us LOL. I have learned to laugh it off now but it use to drive me crazy. My girls really do look hispanic especially as babies but they got my bubbly personality and sparkling eyes and georgeous smile. LOL Just had it happened this morning and I just wonder if it's going to get worse when they get to school with the Black mom showing up to pick up the Hernandez girls
hotpitmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 04:25 PM   #2
SandSMom28 Female
Lively & Zealous Parent

SandSMom28 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: My issue when I take my girls to APP

Hi hotpitmomma and welcome to SFV btw...I can certainly understand where you are coming from (sort of) that would prob bother me also. My DD's are half white and Arab and when Ive revealed that in public Ive once had a complete stranger tell me that I was a "traitor" to my country. Yeah ignorant right. I say that you are doing the right thing by just laughing it off and all you can do at this point is address to them as many times as it takes that there is no need for them to address your children in Spanish. Id learned a little Arabic while with him but I made it my business to learn it completely even with him and his family gone from her life in case they are ever back I will know exactly what is being said to or around my child. Second language or no.

Ive learned now to just shrug any comments off. I get annoyed sometimes with the constant what are they mixed with thing but you know what people are people, people are curious and some people just have no home training but whatever the situation they ask their question or make their assumptions and when i go to bed at night those folks are not my concern but my DD's are and within a couple of minutes it is long forgotten. I worry a little about school also but its all in how we teach our children to deal with those type situations. IMO.
SandSMom28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 04:49 PM   #3
hotpitmomma
Getting My Feet (Board) Wet

hotpitmomma is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Sandsmom28 I greatly appeerciate it. It use to really bother me with my 1st daughter but now it doesn't really bother me as much. I would love to teach them some Spanish however like I said none of there other side including there father knows Spanish. My 4 y/o started pre-k this year and in Atlanta now they teach Spanish as a 2nd langugage as early as pre-k so she is actually teaching me some things

It just bother's me when people kinda look at me crazy cause here I have these two little girls who look as Hispanic as can be and well I am far from looking Hispanic. Well I would not say Hispanic looking as can be they just look like there father in a lil girl version.
hotpitmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 04:22 AM   #4
Marielle
Board Beacon Parent

Marielle is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi hotpitmama, Welcome to SFV!

People can be so inconsiderate, can't they?!
Also regarding the post from Sandsmom, her being called a "traitor" because her kids have arabic roots. How ridiculous is that!
It's hurtful, but she is right in saying the best thing is just to laugh it off....(cos you're dealing with ignoramuses).
and just think, in that instance, you have helped educate someone, by showing them that you've opened up their narrow-minded world a little.....

I have a biracial child and when he was very young - he's now 18 - someone asked me "Did you adopt him?". After my mouth dropped open, I quickly recovered and breezily replied "No, I made him myself, with a little help from my man, but he had the fun part"
LOL
You should've seen her face. Classic.

Next time someone asks me that, I will just turn it around and say, "No, why, did you adopt yours?"
Marielle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 10:37 AM   #5
Dad1st4boys Male
Failure is not an Option.

Dad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of Support

Just tell'm you're doing you part in the Melting Pot of America. ;+)
Dad1st4boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 02:38 PM   #6
Dad1st4boys Male

Dad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of Support

You should take them to little church I go to. Perfect people are uncomfortable as it's a church for sinners and humans. You got me thinking and I have never really took note before how many mixed race couples we have and mixed race children. We have many children of different colors, but they are just children and it's neat to see all those teens sitting together and not worring about color or race. I know alot of adults who could use the lesson. They are all just fellow Christians and the kids are great. We also have quite few divorced parents and blended families. I'm very blessed to be allowed to be a member. They have been a super suport for me and the boys.
Old 10-26-2009, 04:46 PM   #7
Marielle
Board Beacon Parent

Marielle is an unknown quantity at this point
woot Re: My issue when I take my girls to APP

Sorry, I can relate to spiritual things, but not church or religion.

We don't do church any more in Europe. LOL *thank god!*

I agree tho, kids don't look at themselves, what colour they are, or religion.
WHO CARES!!??

That's the way it should stay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad1st4boys View Post
You should take them to little church I go to. Perfect people are uncomfortable as it's a church for sinners and humans. You got me thinking and I have never really took note before how many mixed race couples we have and mixed race children. We have many children of different colors, but they are just children and it's neat to see all those teens sitting together and not worring about color or race. I know alot of adults who could use the lesson. They are all just fellow Christians and the kids are great. We also have quite few divorced parents and blended families. I'm very blessed to be allowed to be a member. They have been a super suport for me and the boys.

---------- Post added at 08:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:35 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad1st4boys View Post
Just tell'm you're doing you part in the Melting Pot of America. ;+)
Hey! not only american....

that melting pot has been going on since the first european settlers arrived........mixing with native americans, africans, europeans, middle east, asians etc.

and not only in "America"........whether north, south, middle, etc.

like it's been going on all over.....

i.e. the melting pot of the WORLD
Marielle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 07:01 PM   #8
SandSMom28 Female
Lively & Zealous Parent

SandSMom28 is an unknown quantity at this point

It's amazing how much some choose to still be ignorant when it comes to things like this. Last week there happened to be just a mild breeze and alot of sunshine so I took my girls to the park and I keep such close eye on them I rarely look around as its a very big playground with a baseball diamond, soccer field, tennis and golf course, a stage for live bands, and several different trails to walk and 4 diff playgrounds, it is HUGE, anyways this day the one playground I chose, there were like five other familys and it wasn't til my DD1 said she looks like me at the little girl on the swing adjacent to her that I said sure does, her daddy just laughed and I looked around, I kid you not, EVERY single kid and couple there out of all five was a mixed family. It was at least 9 kids there and add my two. You could tell we all wanted to say something but we all just looked and smiled. Leave it to B (DD1's dad) when he showed up later to join us to ask me if I'd joined a support group for parents of biracial children. I was like no you dork, I didn't know this was gonna happen. Its funny now b/c he was all excited thinking that's what happened. So its nothing new and hasn't been for a long time so some people need to just get over it already.
SandSMom28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 04:10 PM   #9
Dad1st4boys Male

I just want my boys to see that "SOILT GREEN" Is people!!! , sorry wrong channel.
Joking aside I hope that learn from me that "People is People."
Old 06-14-2011, 10:42 PM   #10
Lolabear Female
Parent on Board

Lolabear is a name known to allLolabear is a name known to all

I am glad I don't get called in spanish but I am wondering how long it will be before people start asking why my blonde haired blue eyed girl's last name is Lopez
Lolabear is offline   Reply With Quote