Wild Dancing Thanksgivng Turkey My son looks Nothing Like Me - Single Parents Forum: Single Family Voices
All forums, topics and discussions are geared to single parents and the issues faced with single parenting.
Support a single parent today and one will support you back!

Go Back   Single Parents Forum: Single Family Voices >
(``'·.¸(``'·.¸ Single Parenting - Issues ¸.·'´´)¸.·'´´)
> Interracial Single Families

~ Donate Today ~ PLEASE

Old 06-11-2005, 11:02 PM   #1
Visitor

Have any of you..parents of bi-raicial children, been out somewhere and gotten weird looks, not to mention people not believing your child is yours, because he/she looks nothing like you??

My son is quite pale compared to me. Nothing about him at this points resembles me in the least.

Yo
Old 06-11-2005, 11:07 PM   #2
Visitor

I'm native american, my boy's dad has black hair. But my son is blond.

It happens..
Old 06-30-2005, 10:35 PM   #3
Visitor

Yes, indeed it happens. LOL I get looks from all walks of life. I am getting used to it, I must admit. Eventually, he has to look something like me, I hope! LOL

Yo
Old 09-26-2005, 09:19 AM   #4
Visitor

When I get some good photos I will post, I have 4 children 2 boys and 2 girls, my 2 girls have a dark olive complection with gorgeous big brown eyes like there father, and my two boys have blonde hair and blue eyes, i put it down to i must have strong boy genes, cheers jewls
Old 02-19-2006, 10:21 AM   #5
Visitor

I must say, that is the absolutely ONE thing I love about "mixed kids," you just absolutely NEVER EVER know what you are going to get!!! The end result though, is always BEAUTIFUL!!!
Old 02-19-2006, 04:13 PM   #6
Visitor

My children's father was protugese, although they all look alike, only my middle son has the olive skin tone, the other two take after me (pale). Most people don't notice too much at first, but when they really look you can see the question on their face, once they hear the kids last name they understand (big portugese community in our city).
All children are beautiful, no matter who they look like; after all, we are all basically the same.
Old 10-26-2007, 06:04 PM   #7
Nicki2000
I am New

Nicki2000 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello,even though this was posted awhile ago,I am glad I am not alone.My son is light and looks spanish. He looks nothing like me at all!He is four now and it is even worse(he is not looking like me at all)!
Nicki2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 03:42 AM   #8
Marielle
Board Beacon Parent

Marielle is an unknown quantity at this point

My son has an African father. I am European (blond, blue-eyed).

Once - I don't know how people have the cheek to ask this of complete strangers - someone asked me "Is he adopted?".

After the shock of mouth dropping open, I soon recovered my composure and breezily said:
"No, I made him myself"............
Marielle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 08:33 PM   #9
mommy2noah
I am New

mommy2noah is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks..I might have to use that one someday...

Once - I don't know how people have the cheek to ask this of complete strangers - someone asked me "Is he adopted?".

After the shock of mouth dropping open, I soon recovered my composure and breezily said:
"No, I made him myself"............
[/QUOTE]
mommy2noah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 12:53 PM   #10
Mr. Rogers
Active Board Parent

Mr. Rogers is an unknown quantity at this point

I can say I don't know how you feel since my kids look like me but my ex wife had that problem and I know it hurt her. She several times ran into people who thought she was a nanny of some type. one thought she was kidnapping them. She is mexican and my kids look more white. people do have attitudes about it.
Old 11-01-2008, 09:28 AM   #11
conniedianne
I am New

conniedianne is an unknown quantity at this point

YES!! My son is bi racial his father is african americian and i am white(very pale white ) my son came out with a gorgeous medium skin tone and get this straight hair (yes it can happen!!) He is a beautiful boy excuse me but he is handsome because boys aren't suppose to be beautiful according to him the words of a 5 year old!! I am now pregnant with my second child (also black/white biracial) I can't to see what he will look like!
conniedianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 03:26 PM   #12
the sane one
Lively & Zealous Parent

the sane one is an unknown quantity at this point

Someone asked me the same thing, if my daughter was adopted. I told the guy, (who was complimenting on how beautiful she is) that I grew her myself. ha ha
Old 12-02-2008, 12:59 PM   #13
Marielle
Board Beacon Parent

haha, how funny...........

I had to go to my son's school a couple of weeks ago and when I walked in his mentor said to me "Oh yes, I can see you're his mother"!!!
Old 12-02-2008, 04:17 PM   #14
captmatrix
Lively & Zealous Parent

captmatrix is an unknown quantity at this point

LOL, look at how he towers over you in that picture, Marielle!
BTW, great picture!
captmatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 02:05 AM   #15
Marielle
Board Beacon Parent

Yea, he's shot up!!

Doesn't quite cut it when you have to look UP to him and say, "Now go clean your room!"!!! LOL
Old 12-18-2008, 09:30 PM   #16
Mr. Rogers
Active Board Parent

Mr. Rogers is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally posted by Marielle:
Yea, he's shot up!!

Doesn't quite cut it when you have to look UP to him and say, "Now go clean your room!"!!! LOL
its always something when your lil man is now bigger! and he still has more to grow
Old 11-03-2010, 04:59 PM   #17
MindShift Female
Board Member

MindShift has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: My son looks Nothing Like Me

Ha! I got tickled reading some of these responses. I'm often asked if I am the nanny because my girls are "more tan" than me.
MindShift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 09:59 AM   #18
Jenny Female
Learning to Surf The Board

Jenny will become famous soon enough

I think people are rude. My kids are darker than me, but not too dark. My oldest son is adopted and black. He was questioned about who he was when trying to get his sisters off the bus. I was so angry.. Yes, i should be happy that they wouldn't let them off the bus with a stranger, but when he said he was their brother, it should have stopped at that!!! They made my son feel awful, and "out of place"..

People ever hear of adoption these days?
Jenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 07:30 PM   #19
sarahr Female
Learning to Surf The Board

sarahr is an unknown quantity at this point
balloons Re: My son looks Nothing Like Me

I am a sandy blond hazel eyes women. My ex is middle eastern. Our children (3) are caramel skinned and dark haired... 110 percent mine!

I remember once when they where small I had taken them to a park. We were playing and having a wonderful family day when a women approached me. She told me she would pay me double what ever the other family was paying me. When I laughed and said they were mine... she had the gall to tell me she would give me vacation days too....

I have endured years of people asking which one is mine in school plays and the look of confusion. One parent asked me which agency I went through for my adoption! I know they are biologically mine. I think it is hilarious in this day and age when it is very commonplace for races to blend that people don't see that I am 110 percent mama.

All I see is there beautiful faces and I have certainly learned through the years that every family is different and should be celebrated.
sarahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 09:15 AM   #20
helpmeact Male
On the Board

helpmeact is an unknown quantity at this point
dance Re: My son looks Nothing Like Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by marielle View Post
i soon recovered my composure and breezily said:
"no, i made him myself"............
awesome
helpmeact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 01:47 PM   #21
luv4kids Female
Lively & Zealous Parent

luv4kids has a brilliant futureluv4kids has a brilliant futureluv4kids has a brilliant futureluv4kids has a brilliant futureluv4kids has a brilliant future

I have a friend that gets asked all the time when she adopted her oriental children (unless her husband is along anyway) --- and she's always like i HAD them!!! :0P people just assume... :-(
luv4kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 04:33 PM   #22
alchni Female
On the Board

alchni is an unknown quantity at this point

LOL I get that.. I'm white and my son is half Jamaican.. I actually went to lunch with a friend of mine and she's from el salvador and I left to go to the bathroom.. while I was gone the waitress was telling my friend that her son is beautiful and looks so much like her.. I thought it was funny myself.. I never expected him to look like me since he's male and I am English so I'm pretty pale .
alchni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 09:37 PM   #23
Lolabear Female
Parent on Board

Lolabear is a name known to allLolabear is a name known to all

i have two blond hair blue eyed girls, and my brown hair, big brown eyed baby boy. of course when all of the kids were with my ex and i people would look at us and ask who the kids get their curly hair from. clearly the little pale girls got blonde curly hair from the dark spanish dad hehe
Lolabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 11:48 PM   #24
onlymom Female
I am New

onlymom is an unknown quantity at this point

Strangers, family, and friends often tell me my daughter looks just like me. Personally, I can't see that she looks like anyone she is related to, which is odd to me because I can usually immediately see both parents in other people's children. But from the moment she was born until today, she has been a mystery to me.

She was as white as they come the day she was born, but her father immediately said when he saw her birth picture that he was satisfied she was African. He's always bragging that she looks like his family.

About 3 people have asked me if she was adopted, but I think that has as much to do with the fact that I'm so old as that we are so obviously different races. I don't get offended, just a little uncomfortable at their embarrassment when I say that she's mine biologically and that I'm not her grandmother. ;-)
onlymom is offline   Reply With Quote