Wild Dancing Thanksgivng Turkey Omg! The hair!!!!! - Single Parents Forum: Single Family Voices
All forums, topics and discussions are geared to single parents and the issues faced with single parenting.
Support a single parent today and one will support you back!

Go Back   Single Parents Forum: Single Family Voices >
(``'·.¸(``'·.¸ Single Parenting - Issues ¸.·'´´)¸.·'´´)
> Interracial Single Families

~ Donate Today ~ PLEASE

Old 09-17-2009, 05:12 PM   #1
SandSMom28 Female
Lively & Zealous Parent

SandSMom28 is an unknown quantity at this point
curse Omg! The hair!!!!!

Ok so Ive posted on here before that both my baby girls are bi-racial and wish I could post pics and show them off but not able to yet for some reason...but my query is concerning their gorgeous...force to be reckon with manes! My goodness. The oldest one is half caucasian and her hair has not one ounce of African American hair in it and Im clueless as to how to take care of caucasian hair. Its very wavy and the only time it looks flawless is right after I wash it it lays down in layered waves so EVERYTIME we are going in public I have to wash it like 30 mins before even if I already washed it that morning or night before to get that manageable frock...

Now my infant daughter...Lord have mercy...*sigh* she is half Arab and her father's hair when long is curly and I mean curly, not one straight strand...well her hair is like this but she did get my hair in there too so in some spots it is dry curly (bleh) and then some spots (mainly the middle) a beautiful shiny curly type. But it gets tangly (both of them) and Im at a loss how to manage these two diff hair types. Washing both of their hair right before we go somewhere takes up soooo much time. I try ponytails for my oldest baby and it always falls back down...er, not to be rude but uh on the ponytail thing...calling all white women! Help! () Any ideas anyone?

p.s. I just sent 65.00 off today for some of the hair products by the company Mixed Chicks so if anyone has used them let me know. Halle Berry's daughters hair is like my infants; only S' is a tad bit dryer so I bought it. Hope it works cuz Im at a loss right now.
SandSMom28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 05:20 PM   #2
LSL Female
The blunt one;)

LSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support Legend
Default Re: Omg! The hair!!!!!

For the child that is half caucasion/half African American, my sister uses this product: http://www.organixhair.com/coconutmilk.asp. You can find it at Target or Walmart. She uses the Shampoo, conditioner, Split End Mender, and the styling cream. Not sure why, but the split end mender gets the tangles out. The styling cream is for after you have dried the hair, and you need a bit of weight for control. My niece has beautiful wavy hair coming in all over [she is only eight months] and this is the only thing we have found that works.

AM might help when she is on later. I know she has a bi-racial daughter.
Old 09-17-2009, 05:28 PM   #3
Alejandra
Setting New Standards

Alejandra has a brilliant futureAlejandra has a brilliant futureAlejandra has a brilliant futureAlejandra has a brilliant futureAlejandra has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandSMom28 View Post
Its very wavy and the only time it looks flawless is right after I wash it it lays down in layered waves so EVERYTIME we are going in public I have to wash it like 30 mins before even if I already washed it that morning or night before to get that manageable frock....
She's 3 1/2, right? So there's no reason for her hair to have to ever look 'flawless' (so much easier to dish out this advice than take it!!!)

I can't wait to see pix of your little beauties someday. I'm white with very thick hair - i'm not sure what the problem is with the ponytails for your daughter - maybe you need to get the ridged ponytail holders to prevent them sliding out - i dunno. I'd almost need to see a pic of her hair to give advice. As you probably already know most white women (girls) wash their hair several times a week if not everyday.
Alejandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 06:11 PM   #4
Bluemoon Female
just an old hippie chick

Bluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support Legend

Lol, Sands, I am totally useless in terms of help, but I sure can relate. I am not good at hair, not even my own.
One time, I dated a black guy who had two girls. There was no Mom involved and I got along great with the girls. The youngest had these braids that she had had in forever. All kinds of scalp oils , etc. had settled at the top of each braid.
I decided I was gonna help her and I took them all out, insisted she wash it good and proceed to try to comb it out the way I would do mine (with No More Tangles, no less!) . What a mess I made!
I finally took her to a beauty parlor in the neighborhood. The woman there, a black woman made fun of me like you wouldn't believe, was even a little mean about it at first, but soon saw that I was able to laugh at myself and soon she was laughing, too.
The girl ended up looking beautiful...but you can believe I had nothing to do with it, .
Oh, neither of my kids got my curly, porus, hair (thank God) but I do all of us the same.
We all look best freshly washed, but don't always have the time, so I keep a spray bottle of plain old water handy and wet hair as needed. In E's case it's just to get rid of where he slept on it funny. It will dry naturally and fall perfectly in place. In my case I have to wet it alot and then blow dry it (and add some gel once it's dry) and then blow dry some more to slick down the cuticles or whatever you call it.
If it's humid out, I may as well just put a bag over my head and be done with it, .

To disagree, one doesn't have to be disagreeable. ~Barry M. Goldwater and Jack Casserly, Goldwater

Life is all about how you handle Plan B. ~ off a Blue Mountain Arts calendar
Bluemoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 07:32 PM   #5
Linds_0606
Parent on Board

Linds_0606 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
The oldest one is half caucasian and her hair has not one ounce of African American hair in it and Im clueless as to how to take care of caucasian hair. Its very wavy and the only time it looks flawless is right after I wash it it lays down in layered waves so EVERYTIME we are going in public I have to wash it like 30 mins before even if I already washed it that morning or night before to get that manageable frock...

Okay so I don't know how much help I can be without actually seeing her hair (Is her hair oily or dry? Frizzy, tangly?)... but I am Caucasian with wavy hair, as well. I also went to cosmetology school, but that was years ago and I only do hair for my family now

That being said, having wavy hair myself... I usually wash it daily. After washing it I brush it out and use a lotion type of curl enhancer. I won't go near the gels, as they make my hair crispy, and for some reason that really freaks me out. So I put this lotion product all through my hair, then use my towel to scrunch it up, then let it dry naturally. Afterwards I can run my fingers through my hair all I want, and it holds the wave/curl without getting frizzy (mainly because of the oils on my hands).

If I don't feel like washing it the next day... well... pony tails are great :P

Quote:
She's 3 1/2, right? So there's no reason for her hair to have to ever look 'flawless' (so much easier to dish out this advice than take it!!!)
Also, Hanzi has a great point. No one expects her hair to be perfect I wouldn't worry too much about it.
Old 09-17-2009, 08:51 PM   #6
MotherBoard Female
Making The Magic Happen
Mother Of The Board

MotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of Support

just a simply "food for though" VO5 it comes in a tube cost about 2 dollars. can put it on the hair anytime. and can be picked up at the grocery store.
https://www.facebook.com/soloParent
MotherBoard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 08:59 PM   #7
SandSMom28 Female
Lively & Zealous Parent

Lols @bluesmom...I think its very mean they laughed at you but you're awesome for turning it all around. People at their temporary daycare(they only go if absolutely necessary)are mean to me they say things like she mustve been with the "other" side this weekend or last night if her hair is in shambles. One time I tried to put pigtails in her hair, braided ones, they stuck straight out from her head cuz I used gel *yeah Linds NOW you tell me too little too late...kidding, anyways he hair was stiff and its hard to to explain but she looked a mess but even though the stares of other people were unforgiving, my daughter had a blast playing helicopter all day. All of a sudden off and on shes leaning her head forward and doing some weird sweeping motion I hear "brrwrrr...brwrrr....4, 3, 2, 1....(clapping) followed by a loud YEAH! It was too cute.
I dont know why I cant add pics on here but will try to explain...

The eldest is who Im talking about and her hair is wavy but very straight like white women and when I try to put it in a ponytail the edges around the front or sides always fall down. Ive tried to ridged rubberbands nothing. I guess I was asking what type of hair spray should I use or mousse or whatever. When I put African American products in her hair it just looks greasy. I think my things is Im expecting it to "stay put" all day long and shes a tot anyways y'know. My infant after I wash it I rub in a bit of baby oil or baby lotion in it and her curls all look lustirious for a while then they fade and its dry like a desert. *Sigh* If I cant post pics on here Ill make a quick Photobucket account cuz I need any type of advice. The Mixed Chicks products I bought will be in next week they are supposed to keep the hair curly and frizz free< I was hoping someone on here had used them but now I will just have to see. Thank you so much for the advice so far.

---------- Post added at 06:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:56 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotherBoard View Post
just a simply "food for though" VO5 it comes in a tube cost about 2 dollars. can put it on the hair anytime. and can be picked up at the grocery store.
Do you mean the hot oil treatment??? If so Ill try it but man my back is already singing imagining the wrestling session with that one, she barely lets me wash it .

P.S. Im tired of saying the youngest and oldest and I cant say S for just one or the other b/c both of them start with an S, so my daughters names are Sunday(3) and Summer (9 months).
Old 09-17-2009, 09:32 PM   #8
MotherBoard Female
Making The Magic Happen
Mother Of The Board

MotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of Support

no not the hot oil, just a tube of nutrients for the hair 'VO5' to keep trusses tame. Ol'school

U just rub it into your hands then finger through the hair, and rub in.

and any conditioner can be used like shampoo, just make sure the conditioner is forced to the scalp to rub out the dirt and build up. and rinse the scalp real well.
https://www.facebook.com/soloParent
MotherBoard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 09:41 PM   #9
Linds_0606
Parent on Board

Linds_0606 is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh I see what you're saying about the pony tail thing. You can use any kind of hairspray for that. Just keep in mind that the more you use the oilier her hair is going to look. There's not much you can do by way of keeping that hair from falling down other than letting it grow out.

BUT. I have found these amazing things recently at the drug store that I swear by when I put my hair up now. I imagine they would be too big for little heads, but I bet you anything they have them for kids. They're headbands, and they're stretchy. They go all the way around, and on the inside they have a grip thing to keep them from sliding. I'll see if I can find a picture online.

http://www.drugstore.com/products/pr...52&catid=83751

Only found a listing for black ones, but they have multi-colors too :P I LOVE them. They're super tight and all you do is put one around your neck, pull your hair back into a pony tail, then pull it up onto your head like a headband. Holds all those little loose fuzzies back.

Bet you could find something similar to work at walmart!
Old 09-18-2009, 01:56 AM   #10
Billabong
Board Blazen Parent

Billabong is a glorious beacon of lightBillabong is a glorious beacon of light

Buy the book called "Curly Girl" its great and really helped me get a good understanding of my hair and shape it up. I have mixed texture as well.

Try no shampoo .. wash her hair with conditioner (massage into the hair and scalp) to help prevent dryness and keep it defined. Shampoo is very harsh and drying.

Only comb when wet, never brush to avoid frizzies. Give her a good, creamy leave-in moisturizer. Blot her hair dry gently, do not rub it, when she gets out of the tub and let it air dry the rest of the way.

After awhile her hair should shape up a bit and look good worn down or maybe you could slick into ponytails. But like mentioned above kids have wild hair anyway.

As far as products I swear by Biolage, its expensive (like $20 for a tube of conditioner, $30 for a tub) but magical. My son's hair is straight, but I massage in a dab of Biolage conditioner instead of baby shampoo when I "wash" his hair and it's so luxurious now . Always soft, silky and SUPER shiny.

I also use it on mine and its about the only product that tames my hair and keeps it lookin fierce
Billabong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 02:12 AM   #11
alexmichele07 Female
Sparkles & Glitter

alexmichele07 Is Rocken These Boards With Supportalexmichele07 Is Rocken These Boards With Supportalexmichele07 Is Rocken These Boards With Supportalexmichele07 Is Rocken These Boards With Supportalexmichele07 Is Rocken These Boards With Supportalexmichele07 Is Rocken These Boards With Supportalexmichele07 Is Rocken These Boards With Supportalexmichele07 Is Rocken These Boards With Supportalexmichele07 Is Rocken These Boards With Supportalexmichele07 Is Rocken These Boards With Supportalexmichele07 Is Rocken These Boards With Support

My DD is biracial and her hair is the texture of white people hair, but it has a little bit of wave to it and some frizzies along her hair line. I have a few suggestions...

If she has white people hair, you don't want to use extreme ethnic products, they will just make it look greasy. White people naturally have more oil in their hair to begin with, so you don't need oil or grease or anything like that.

I use an organic Olive Oil shampoo on my DD. You can buy it at Target and it's not terribly expensive. It has the perfect amount of moisture in it all on its own and I don't use a rinse out conditioner afterward.

I then towel dry her hair and put in a light leave-in conditioner. Any inexpensive brand will do the trick. I do make sure to put a little more in areas that tend to get frizzy, but for the most part I just kind of rub it in my hands and run my fingers through her hair. This also makes it easier to comb.

Then I just let it air dry and style it however I want. The conditioner softens it up just enough to kind of weigh it down a little to keep it from getting out of control.

Or if you want to tame it down even more, another thing I do sometimes, is put in a straightening gel when it's still wet, and blow dry it on a low setting. This tames down the curls and frizz and stays manageable until the next time I wash it. My favorite straightening gel is by Tresemme and it comes in a tube. But blow drying does require quite a bit more time, especially because I do it on a low setting so I don't fry her hair.

Finally, if I want to define and add curl, I put in a curling gel (Tresemme is also my favorite curl gel). I just run it through her hair with my fingers and scrunch and I dry it on a low setting with the blow dryer. But I don't dry it all the way, just most of the way, and then let the last of it air dry.

Neither of the Tresemme gels I've used have ever made her hair crunchy or stiff. It's actually much softer and more manageable than if I do nothing.
alexmichele07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 07:41 AM   #12
SandSMom28 Female
Lively & Zealous Parent

Sooo many suggestions! Thank you guys a bunch. Can't wait to try them and see what works. My poor Sunday, she's not gonna like this, . My Summer angel won't care though, she's indifferent to getting her hair washed but her older counterpart acts like its WW3. She hates her hair messed with but she will be alright. I'm going to try you guys suggestions one by one a new one every other week if the other before that doesn't work. I will put a review of those Mixed Chick products I bought on here also. Alot of celebrities swear by it and its been in Parents magazine but I don't usually trust a product to do what ads say until I try it for myself so I will see. Thanks so much again guys. I feel like such a retard that I hadn't tried any of this.
Old 09-18-2009, 09:31 AM   #13
alexmichele07 Female
Sparkles & Glitter

alexmichele07 Is Rocken These Boards With Supportalexmichele07 Is Rocken These Boards With Supportalexmichele07 Is Rocken These Boards With Supportalexmichele07 Is Rocken These Boards With Supportalexmichele07 Is Rocken These Boards With Supportalexmichele07 Is Rocken These Boards With Supportalexmichele07 Is Rocken These Boards With Supportalexmichele07 Is Rocken These Boards With Supportalexmichele07 Is Rocken These Boards With Supportalexmichele07 Is Rocken These Boards With Supportalexmichele07 Is Rocken These Boards With Support

Quote:
I feel like such a retard that I hadn't tried any of this.
My daughter is 6 and I'm still trying new things all the time. Eventually you'll find something that works for you.
alexmichele07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 09:02 AM   #14
SandSMom28 Female
Lively & Zealous Parent

Almost forgot, I got the Mixed Chicks products on Friday and my toddler (3) it only made her hair oily and sticky...My ex hubby took her to her "nana" (his mom) who has been a hairdresser for years (never asked her for advice before b/c we dont get along), anyways, she finally got the product out of her hair for me (after three washes it refused to come out) and she told me her hair is basically white only. So to treat it as such.

I used it on my infant who is half Arab and her father's hair and mine is coarse but his is super curly and that is how heres is too but when dry is a huge fro. It works for her but after sleeping on it, it is dry again and puffy. So it works and is a simple process as far as if we need to go out but around the house if she naps and it dries out there's nothing I can do but the whole process again. *Sigh* The type of hair she has when she's old enough I could put a relaxer but then she would lose that curly texture forever. Most of my bi-racial female friends who did this regretted it as now their hair is simply like black womens hair they can't wash it and get that curly texture anymore, so I dont think ill do this ill leave it up to her choice when she's older (high school). But the Mixed Chicks product was not everything it was pumped to be.
Old 09-29-2009, 12:37 AM   #15
Billabong
Board Blazen Parent

I definitely wouldn't relax her hair unless it's her idea when she's older. I had my hair straightened from either pressing or relaxing all my life until I was 19 and I just shaved my head and was done with it. Happily been a curly girl ever since. I felt so burdened yet typical before, but my hair was never that bad it was just misunderstood.

Don't give up. Just try your best to work with her hair texture and understand it better, not work against it. It's all trial and error to find out what will work for her. I think I went through 5 brands and hundreds of dollars before I found that Biolage works for me. It also took me a little while to find what routine and styles worked best.

Try sites like nappturality.com and motowngirl.com .. they have great how to tutorials, product reviews and offer nice advice for people with all different curly hair types.
Old 09-29-2009, 01:15 PM   #16
Billabong
Board Blazen Parent

Oh yeah I wanted to ask .. have you thought about sprtizing your daughters hair with a mixture of water and a small dab of conditioner in a spray bottle, adding a thick, creamy leave-in conditioner and then braiding it in maybe 4 or 5 large braids before she sleeps and letting the braids stay in until you get ready to go out and let them down?

You could also do this while her hair is wet and fresh from a wash. Sprtizing makes a great moisture touch up in between washes and rebraids though.

This would help her hair retain moisture and also keep her curls tamed, untangled and defined as she sleeps and puts friction on it.
Old 09-29-2009, 07:32 PM   #17
Bluemoon Female
just an old hippie chick

Bluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billabong View Post
but my hair was never that bad it was just misunderstood.
For some reason this line just tickles me to death, .

To disagree, one doesn't have to be disagreeable. ~Barry M. Goldwater and Jack Casserly, Goldwater

Life is all about how you handle Plan B. ~ off a Blue Mountain Arts calendar
Bluemoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 09:48 PM   #18
SandSMom28 Female
Lively & Zealous Parent

woot Found the remedy!

So I FINALLY have the solution to both of my daughter's hair types...DD1 who's hair type is mainly white hair I did as AM suggested and now I don't use ANY ethnic hair care products and for some reason that was all that needed apply. For DD2, her hair is just a mad curly and coarse without proper care and Id tried the Mixed Chicks product like twice and it wasn't working so I ruled it out. But Id paid that money for it so I went bck and watched the tutorial vid and I'd been performing the application process WAY wrong! When I went back and did it right and also purchased their frizz ease serum, it has worked magic on her hair. You can see the difference in their recent pics I put on my page with their hair. I love the Mixed Chicks products (I sound like a commercial now) but Im serious it SO works! If you have biracial kids with coarse curly hair I recommend it but not if they have wavy/straight hair.
Old 11-28-2009, 10:45 AM   #19
pnemosiene
Board Member

pnemosiene is an unknown quantity at this point

I can give my professional advice. First don't use any baby shampoo, it is gentle for eyes but can cause a tangleing/matting condition in children's hair. So start with the shampoo and conditioner try Redken Fresh Curls, in addition fresh curls has a spray gel you can use to hold the kid's hair in place after washing. You may also like to try Redkin Total Recharge, it says it's for highlights but I used it on all my kid clients when their hair was tangled or matted together. They are a bit expensive but they are concentrated so if you use small amounts it should last quite some time.
pnemosiene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 10:54 AM   #20
SandSMom28 Female
Lively & Zealous Parent

I will def give that Redkin Total Recharge a try. So far shampoo and conditioner Pantene products (curls edition) works great for the oldest and the Mixed Chicks (http://www.mixedchicks.org/) works awesome for my baby, only thing about it is that it still requires a daily process in order to keep the defined curls so it gets tiring sometimes when Im in a hurry to have to stop and do this. But I need a great detangler for both of them and most in stores don't do much but gunk it up so I will give this a shot. Thanks for the suggestion!
Old 09-29-2010, 07:02 PM   #21
TrustFalls Female
I am New

TrustFalls is an unknown quantity at this point
Wink Re: Omg! The hair!!!!!

Okay, a simple and peaceful solution may be to use the most natural substance found in your kitchen cabinet- olive oil. Olive oil is the only tried and true (and not to mention, free, since I puchased it to cook with) substance I have used and my of-the-rainbow family members have been using for decades. You can just mix an appropriate amount in your shampoo (for a less "oiled" look) or in your conditioner for a nice healthy glow from the roots down. You may have to play around with proportions until YOU like the results produced. Olive oil is great for hair, nails, and skin. I sound like a commercial but hey, it is what it is. :-)
P.s. I feel your pain; thank goodness there are a lot of smart posters here with great ideas :-) Relief is on the way, hang in there! Oh and congrats on the lil ones :-)
TrustFalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 08:17 AM   #22
Marielle
Board Beacon Parent

Marielle is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh, you're right about the olive oil! The Mediterranean diet is supposed to be the healthiest in the world, I always use it for cooking ;-)
Marielle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 01:54 PM   #23
acraisydaisy
Parent on Board

acraisydaisy is an unknown quantity at this point

This has been so informative, thank you! I am pregnant and not due for another 3 months, but my baby will have a mixed race as well. I didn't know that African American hair was so difficult to take care of. My bf keeps his hair shaved and has even told me that he hopes the baby does not have the same hair as him.
acraisydaisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 09:49 PM   #24
JuliansMommy Female
Board Member

JuliansMommy is infamous around these partsJuliansMommy is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by acraisydaisy View Post
This has been so informative, thank you! I am pregnant and not due for another 3 months, but my baby will have a mixed race as well. I didn't know that African American hair was so difficult to take care of. My bf keeps his hair shaved and has even told me that he hopes the baby does not have the same hair as him.
African American hair is not difficult to take care if you stop trying to make it do what it won't.
JuliansMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 08:53 PM   #25
jklmn123 Female
I am New

jklmn123 is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm Caucasian with very thick, very straight hair. My 3 year old daughter is mixed race with African American and has very dry, ringlet curls. I've tried Mixed Chicks, Wen, As I Am (coconut oils) and various other products. For her hair, the key is NO SHAMPOO, ever. I use Paul Mitchell Leave In Conditioner (http://www.amazon.com/Paul-Mitchell-...in+conditioner).

In the tub, I rinse her hair well right away. Comb through the Paul Mitchell conditioner and do not rinse out. Blot to dry using a scrunching motion with a cotton t-shirt/sheet - not a towel (terry loops = frizz). Air dry. It may go through a stage that looks fly away right before it's dry but don't touch it. When it's completely dry, give it a little fluff if you like.

In the morning or after nap, I may spritz a little water on it, scrunch in a small amount of conditioner and fluff when fully dry if necessary.
jklmn123 is offline   Reply With Quote