Wild Dancing Thanksgivng Turkey What to do about grandfather - Single Parents Forum: Single Family Voices
All forums, topics and discussions are geared to single parents and the issues faced with single parenting.
Support a single parent today and one will support you back!

Go Back   Single Parents Forum: Single Family Voices >
(``'·.¸(``'·.¸ Single Parenting - Issues ¸.·'´´)¸.·'´´)
> Interracial Single Families

~ Donate Today ~ PLEASE

Old 03-12-2010, 08:47 PM   #1
giggles311 Female
I am New

giggles311 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What to do about grandfather

My daughter is mixed race white and chinese. We are currently living with my parents until I can find a job that pays enough to leave. My father is relatively racist and is always talking about minorities in negative ways. I explained to him that I don't appreciate him saying negative things about minorities in my daughter's presence because I don't want her internalizing those ideas, but he just said that she needs to develop a thick skin and that she can't be sensitive and let it bother her. I'm really at a loss now about what to do. Anyone have any ideas?
giggles311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 08:51 PM   #2
littlefoot_223 Female
Board Beacon Parent

littlefoot_223 has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: What to do about grandfather

Sorry you are having to deal w/ that.

How old is she?
Old 03-12-2010, 09:00 PM   #3
Bluemoon Female
just an old hippie chick

Bluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support Legend

Sorry you have to deal with that, too. What you might say depends on her age, but I do think that she will eventually need to learn that some people, even otherwise good people, can be narrow minded and ignorant about certain things. Sort of a loving people warts and all kind of thing....at least as far as g-pa is concerned. Also, by learning this she will not be as likely to take it personally if she comes across this from strangers one day. She will already be aware that it is a failing of theirs not hers.
That would be my hope if I were in your shoes...
Bluemoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 09:03 PM   #4
LSL Female
The blunt one;)

LSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support Legend

My dad calls my niece who is mixed black and white, swirl.......my sister has said never to call her that, she hates it....but he thinks it's cute.......

My dad is not a racially stupid person, just sometimes he is not so sensitive how things can be taken.

I have no real advice because when people get to be a certain age, there is no reasoning with them.
Old 11-14-2014, 07:51 AM   #5
lisaa Female
I am New

lisaa is an unknown quantity at this point

Also, I'd love to share what I've learned about caring for my daughter's hair! All the questions about that topic are years old.
lisaa is offline   Reply With Quote