Wild Dancing Thanksgivng Turkey bi-racial kids - Single Parents Forum: Single Family Voices
All forums, topics and discussions are geared to single parents and the issues faced with single parenting.
Support a single parent today and one will support you back!

Go Back   Single Parents Forum: Single Family Voices >
(``'·.¸(``'·.¸ Single Parenting - Issues ¸.·'´´)¸.·'´´)
> Interracial Single Families

~ Donate Today ~ PLEASE

Old 04-19-2003, 03:44 PM   #1
Lesley
I am New

Lesley is an unknown quantity at this point

I am a white but my son's father is African American. It took everyone by suprise and a lot of people I know including my family disagree with the mixing of races. How can I help people to see that someones color has nothing to do with loving a beautiful child? Please Help!!
Lesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2003, 01:02 AM   #2
Mamaslittleangels
I am New

Mamaslittleangels is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi I am a white mother, my son is white, but my daughter is mixes, her father is black, my family had MAJOR problems with this, I was raised that you do not mix colors, I never thought I would ever date outside my race, well I found myself at the age of 32 and dating a black man, now came the time to tell my family, my mother did not speak to me for a few wks, my grandparents well it just hurt them beyond believe but they didn't say much to me, then came the time to tell them I was preg, totaly different story, my mother refused to have anything to do with the baby, although she was not yet born ( LOL) it took her a few months to talk to me, we had major arguements, you yourself cannot change how they feel, all you can do is ask God to move in their life and show them what a beautiful child you have and ask God to blind them to color of your child, that is what I did, I could not change how they felt even though I thought I could, it just made matters worse. And there are times when the family will not come around, you just have to go on, I know it hurts and you hurt for your child, but they are the ones missing out on such a beautiful blessing. You can just tell them that you yourself do not see color in people that we ALL came from the same DNA ( which is God ) and then let God take it from there. This may not help you much, but I pray that it does, the out come of mine is this: Before she was born my mother accepted the fact that her granddaughter was mixed and now that she has seen her, she is the light of her life, my family loves this baby regardless of her color, doesn't mean they like it,but they see past it..

God Bless you,
Theresa
Mamaslittleangels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2003, 10:38 AM   #3
Lesley
I am New

Thank you so much! That is pretty much how my family responded but it is the outside people I have to deal with more now. My son is 4 months old and i am still hearing stories and racial slurs. How did you deal with it?
Old 05-17-2003, 01:27 PM   #4
Mamaslittleangels
I am New

Mamaslittleangels is an unknown quantity at this point

Well I guess I got fortunate, I live in Tulsa, Okl and it is common here for mixed children. I have not yet come across anyone who has looked at me strange or rediculed me for my daughter being mixed. I guess if I was to come across that, I would just have to turn and walk away, although that would be hard, I would want to say something, but it is best just to go on and leave it to God, they should not be judging us, like the Bible says, you must take out the plank in your eye before judging someone else. I am sorry that you have had to deal with this, I will keep you in my prayers. My daughter will be a yr the 4th of June and everyone we come in contact with just goes on and on about how beautiful she is, some have a hard time believing she is mixed, she is not very dark, but then there are some that say oh yes I can tell she is mixed, I have found that mixed babies are the most beautiful babies ...and very smart but at the same time, very stubborn, hard headed, very very strong willed ....Good luck to you and if you ever need anyone to talk to please feel free to email me..

Much Prayers,
Theresa
Mamaslittleangels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2003, 04:18 PM   #5
Visitor

hey everybody I want to join this convo. I'm black my daughters father is white/spanish. I'm in the military so it's common to see mixed kids. but I think his family may have a problem with it because my daughter is 6 months old and his family still doesn't know that she exist.do you think her being mixed have anything to do with it? or is he just scared to face his parents? she's a beautiful little girl. I don't see what the problem is.
Old 05-20-2003, 01:53 PM   #6
Lesley
I am New

A lot of people don't know how to act when they see a bi-racial child. Thry don't understand the beauty of them or that they are a masterpiece made by God. I wouldn't force anyone to see my son if they didn't want to but I would feel very sorry for them because he is so beautiful and very special. Maybe in time your husband's family will come around! Good Luck!
Old 05-25-2003, 11:54 PM   #7
lilmama82
I am New

lilmama82 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello everyone. Well my daughter is 13 weeks old. She is mixed. I am white and her father(sperm donor) is black. I just had to add the sperm donor part because that's what he is. I haven't been with him for almost a year now. It has been 9 months.
lilmama82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2003, 10:13 AM   #8
Lesley
I am New

I know what you mean! My son's father is also a sperm donor, but that just fine with me. It can get hard sometimes but in my situation we are better off without him. Feel free to e-mail me
Old 05-28-2003, 11:27 PM   #9
Organic Mama
On the Board

Organic Mama is an unknown quantity at this point

hehee.. sperm donor. I know what you mean! Mine is a sperm donor! He is asain and I am white. I just hope she looks like me and not like I adopted her. Thats my only fear. I also wonder what my family will think. They are weird like that because they are from another country. Especially my grandparents. My parents already know and are somewhat dealing with it. The only thing that bothers me is that my mother keeps trying to convince herself that the baby will not even look asain. Come on. the father is. And I know its a very dominant gene. She keeps saying, His eyes arent really slanted. he doesn't have much of a flat face. Now if i showed you a picture you guys would say... yeah. hes asain! LOL OH lordy..... this is going to be interesting!
6 more weeks till she is born! LOL
Organic Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2003, 04:55 PM   #10
venus327us
I am New

venus327us is an unknown quantity at this point

I am a mother of a mixed daughter, I am still connected to her dad but not for long, and I am starting to think she is confused. She has white half brother/sister and black/half sisters and most of the people we interact with are dark skinned as we usually say. But she is white you would really have to be searching to say she was mixed. Starting last year when she started pre-k she didn't want her dad to come to any activities (the school is mainly comprised of dark skinned children) he was even aware of this, she is embarassed by him. She will not admit she has any dark blood in her and does not want to even hear anyone say it. She has friends that are not white. I don't know what to do. I want her to grow up knowing who she is and be proud. She is really beautiful and I am not just being the proud mom. Do you think she is in an identy crisis.
venus327us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2003, 06:01 PM   #11
Lesley
I am New

It is very hard for kids to understand about there race, even if they are around other mixed children. My son does not look like other mixed kids, this will probably be something that I will face and the only thing i know to do or to tell you is to always encourage her and don't push her to be around her father. You can e-mail me at ethanlesley*yahoo.com, I would love to hear from you and maybe we could help each other. Good Luck!!
Old 07-24-2003, 03:26 AM   #12
JJ852
I am New

JJ852 is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm a single father of a 3mos mix baby boy I'm not a sperm donor but I feel like one at times thou. My family just accept the fact my son is mixed I'm going throu a long court hearing thou for visitation/custody, But I fear my son will turn like his my mother sister is which is mixed but she has not had ne black role models around so they basically raised her the best she can which is white, I'm trying to be involved my son his life I want him to know what the world is gonna view him as black and nothing else raise my son to be strong and proud of who he is.
Quote:
Originally posted by Lesley:
[qb]It is very hard for kids to understand about there race, even if they are around other mixed children. My son does not look like other mixed kids, this will probably be something that I will face and the only thing i know to do or to tell you is to always encourage her and don't push her to be around her father. You can e-mail me at ethanlesley*yahoo.com, I would love to hear from you and maybe we could help each other. Good Luck!! [/qb]
JJ852 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2003, 02:07 PM   #13
Lesley
I am New

I am very glad that you have chosen to be a part in your son's life. Your son doesn't need to just have african american male role models he needs to have supportive male rolemodles. Your son won't see color, he will see the actions that the men will make. Good Luck!!
Old 08-01-2003, 04:23 PM   #14
Sandy B
Board Member

Sandy B is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally posted by venus327us:
[qb]I am a mother of a mixed daughter, I am still connected to her dad but not for long, and I am starting to think she is confused. She has white half brother/sister and black/half sisters and most of the people we interact with are dark skinned as we usually say. But she is white you would really have to be searching to say she was mixed. Starting last year when she started pre-k she didn't want her dad to come to any activities (the school is mainly comprised of dark skinned children) he was even aware of this, she is embarassed by him. She will not admit she has any dark blood in her and does not want to even hear anyone say it. She has friends that are not white. I don't know what to do. I want her to grow up knowing who she is and be proud. She is really beautiful and I am not just being the proud mom. Do you think she is in an identy crisis.[/qb]
Sandy B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2003, 04:29 PM   #15
Sandy B
Board Member

Sandy B is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally posted by venus327us:
[qb]I am a mother of a mixed daughter, I am still connected to her dad but not for long, and I am starting to think she is confused. She has white half brother/sister and black/half sisters and most of the people we interact with are dark skinned as we usually say. But she is white you would really have to be searching to say she was mixed. Starting last year when she started pre-k she didn't want her dad to come to any activities (the school is mainly comprised of dark skinned children) he was even aware of this, she is embarassed by him. She will not admit she has any dark blood in her and does not want to even hear anyone say it. She has friends that are not white. I don't know what to do. I want her to grow up knowing who she is and be proud. She is really beautiful and I am not just being the proud mom. Do you think she is in an identy crisis.[/qb]
Venus, I am very confused with everything about you. The baby is not the one with the problem you are. You continued to say that you would not know that this chid is mixed unless you search for it. and that she is ashamed of her dad. Why? I know a lot of black judges, doctors, lawyers and dam good actors and sports personalities. So what is the problem with being black. I think you are the one with the problem. children only know what they hear and what they are taught. You really need to evalulate things. One piece of advise to you. Don't lay with another race if you are going to be ashamed of the outcome. You are the one with the problem.
Sandy B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2003, 11:37 PM   #16
JerseyGirl6919
I am New

JerseyGirl6919 is an unknown quantity at this point

I am new to this board and my story is a long one. I have an 11 year old son and a twelve week old son, both biracial (I am white and their father is African American). To make a long story short, we were married at 19, had our first son at 23, divorced at 30 and slept with him on and off over the years and then I became pregnant last September. I always wanted another baby and so Christopher was a blessing and a gift to me. His dad is not really around and it will be hard. But on the topic, I have had 11 years with my older son. I have never had a problem with his race. I know sometimes people wanna ask, but they never do. I always told him he was not black or white but caramel and he likes it. He knows both races and is comfortable around them both. He is a great kid and I guess we will deal with race if and when it becomes an issue. You can email me and ask me anything if you like. Just give your child alot of love, affection and have them around as many different races as you can, and they will be fine. Good luck!
JerseyGirl6919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2004, 11:30 PM   #17
Alisha
Learning to Surf The Board

Alisha is an unknown quantity at this point

Well, my situation is a little different. See me and my daughter is mixed with Black, white and Indian. And daughter has alittle Latino in her and on Thursday while she was at school taking her nap the little boy next to her called her a "Little white girl" By being her mother I got very offended. And from my understanding she told hime she was black too. Don't get me wrong she is 25% black and I have no problem with that because Black white and Indian started with my great-great-great grandmothers family. Its just I didnt appericate her being called a racial name. My uncles baby mama is the owner of the daycare and she told me that she will speak to the boys mother and that and that something will be done. SO on friday I went in there and My UB'sM said that his mother overacted and asked what did my daughter do. And Erika(My daughter) told me that she didn't give him none of her snack that was leftover and thats why he called her that. So I when I picked her up I gave his mother a few words and she told me,"I ain't got time to be talking to a 16 year old pregnant ****" I gave her a peice of my mind and left.
Alisha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2004, 01:11 AM   #18
Liltexasblueyes
I am New

Liltexasblueyes is an unknown quantity at this point

I am a single mother of two bi-racial boys ages 5 and 3. They havent started school yet, so I am not for sure how that is going to go. They have been in day cares and bible classes. I have yet to hear anything negative said to me or around me about my children being mixed. I have a strong personality and I portray that! My ex and I got married while I was in the military in Hawaii. We then moved to Texas! The only thing that I have encountered was a particular group of people that would give looks and make comments. (if they only knew they could have him if they wanted!!) You are always going to have the people that are going to put their two cents in, but with any subject you will find the same thing ie. weight, hair style, clothing, how u talk, how u walk, what u say, where u have lived. My question to you is does any of this stuff, these comments, do they really effect you? Teach your kids to be proud of each and every percent of their making! If your ex doesn't help instill the culture of his/her background, well here is a novel concept, YOU DO IT! I wouldn't trade my kids for the world!
Liltexasblueyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2004, 05:13 PM   #19
Taffygyal
I am New

Taffygyal is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there,

I have a daughter of 16 mths who is mixed race. I feel so awful for you guys who are struggling with the outsiders points of views about the mixing of the races. I personallt had a little bit of conflict at first with my parents but they soon came round within in a few days, which is nothing compared to what you're going through. All I can say is it's 2004! Is mixing races such a bad thing? Its not a new thing either! We dont choose who we fall in love with, but it goes to show that no matter what a person's situation is, we MUST not judge as we are unaware of what is around the corner.

I feel blessed to have my daughter (as we all do) and I agree that mixed race kids are the most beautiful kids there are, they have something very special about them, as those lovely chunky features! wow! Curly hair, permanent tan-come on we'd all love to look like that!

My daughter goes to nursery where I'd say 75% of the children are either mixed race or of a ethnic minority and my daughter does not stand out, I hope it will never be an issue an I feel sad that in this day and age it still is.

However, if it was an issue in my area, I would consider moving to another part of the country. I created my daughter and couldn't bare to think of people thinking of her as different because of her race. Have you thought of moving? After all, it would be awful if she was to become aware of the problem...

Hope this helps a little...

Chrissa

Quote:
Originally posted by Mamaslittleangels:
[qb]Well I guess I got fortunate, I live in Tulsa, Okl and it is common here for mixed children. I have not yet come across anyone who has looked at me strange or rediculed me for my daughter being mixed. I guess if I was to come across that, I would just have to turn and walk away, although that would be hard, I would want to say something, but it is best just to go on and leave it to God, they should not be judging us, like the Bible says, you must take out the plank in your eye before judging someone else. I am sorry that you have had to deal with this, I will keep you in my prayers. My daughter will be a yr the 4th of June and everyone we come in contact with just goes on and on about how beautiful she is, some have a hard time believing she is mixed, she is not very dark, but then there are some that say oh yes I can tell she is mixed, I have found that mixed babies are the most beautiful babies ...and very smart but at the same time, very stubborn, hard headed, very very strong willed ....Good luck to you and if you ever need anyone to talk to please feel free to email me..

Much Prayers,
Theresa[/qb]
Taffygyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2004, 05:16 PM   #20
Taffygyal
I am New

Hey girls, glad u got sperm donors too! Arent men terrible? But hey, who will our kids come to when they're hurt or need someone/something.. We are the special ones and we all deserve medal because being a mother is the hardest job in the world.. Being a single mother is 100 times harder.. BIG UP ALL THE MOTHERS AND SINGLE MOTHERS OUT THERE! feel free to email me too!! xxx

Quote:
[qb]I know what you mean! My son's father is also a sperm donor, but that just fine with me. It can get hard sometimes but in my situation we are better off without him. Feel free to e-mail me [/qb]
Old 04-08-2004, 05:25 PM   #21
Taffygyal
I am New

Oh my gosh! you poor thing, who the **** does that stupid woman think she is talking to you like that!<br /><br />As for the white/black/laatino thing, I must say that I don't think being called white should affect your child, she is mixed and will face this for years to come, perhaps fight her corner but dont make her aware of the racial thing or the fact that white is bad/offensive... She is equal to a white person, and I think by reacting like this you may be suggesting to her that is is awful being white. Another thing, try not to over-protect her, as hard as it might be. My daughter is mixed white/black and if someone was to call her white or black or asian sometimes, it doesnt offend me, just shows how different she is.. she's not standard.. be proud that she's seen in many different lights, she will always be beautiful and thats what she needs to know, not why she isnt white. Take each day as it comes, and learn that kids will be kids-which is more than often nasty!<br /><br />
Quote:
Originally posted by Alisha:<br />[qb]Well, my situation is a little different. See me and my daughter is mixed with Black, white and Indian. And daughter has alittle Latino in her and on Thursday while she was at school taking her nap the little boy next to her called her a "Little white girl" By being her mother I got very offended. And from my understanding she told hime she was black too. Don't get me wrong she is 25% black and I have no problem with that because Black white and Indian started with my great-great-great grandmothers family. Its just I didnt appericate her being called a racial name. My uncles baby mama is the owner of the daycare and she told me that she will speak to the boys mother and that and that something will be done. SO on friday I went in there and My UB'sM said that his mother overacted and asked what did my daughter do. And Erika(My daughter) told me that she didn't give him none of her snack that was leftover and thats why he called her that. So I when I picked her up I gave his mother a few words and she told me,"I ain't got time to be talking to a 16 year old pregnant ****" I gave her a peice of my mind and left. [/qb]
Old 04-08-2004, 09:51 PM   #22
CA
Setting New Standards

CA is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello everyone,
I am the mother of one beautiful daughter and the aunt of a beautiful niece that happens to both be bi-racial. They are both caucasian and African American. My sister and I both teach our children that they are special as human beings and they come from 2 different but wonderful backgrounds. They have the best of 2 cultures. I must say they inherited a wonderful mix of both genetic backgrounds as well.
Our daughters are taught that everyone is equal no matter what their looks, culture, religious beliefs, ability or disability or anything else that makes a person unique. They are taught (as all children should be) that every human being is created equal and those that see differently are narrow minded. If all of us (the human race) would open our eyes and see the beauty that each of us has to offer this subject would not even exist. Unfortunately narrow mindedness is still rampant through out the world. We have to teach or children the best we can and let them know not everyone will like them because of their own problems (not our child's).
Luckily I came home years ago to a place I knew my daughter would be accepted and loved by everyone that matters in her life. She is exposed, she socializes, goes to school with and is actively involved with people from all cultures and beliefs. Those people have morals and intelligence and are a welcome addition in my child's growth.
Moms and dads .. if we surround our children with people like this ... they know they are loved. I do believe we have to teach them there are people in the world that will not like or love them. It is a sad but necessary lesson.
Just keep loving your children ... and keep doing the best you can! I am.
CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2004, 11:57 PM   #23
ThatGoodnatureGirl
I am New

ThatGoodnatureGirl is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
[qb]I am a white but my son's father is African American. It took everyone by suprise and a lot of people I know including my family disagree with the mixing of races. How can I help people to see that someones color has nothing to do with loving a beautiful child? Please Help!! [/qb]
I finally think I have my family understanding my point of view on the whole interracial thing. here is how I broke it down to them... You go to the barn to get eggs from the chickens... are you going to pick out all the white eggs, just b/c they are white. After all the brown eggs are supposed to taste the best! ..... Say you work nights, and all the electricity goes out at the job. Are you going to take the first hand that offers to help you out, or are you going to stand there and ask every person if they are black or white, etc. .... We all bleed red. if you needed an organ transplant and the only match was a black man, are you willing to die over your ignorance? ..... last, but not least (believe me I could go on for days) When you are looking for a furry companion, do you buy only white animals? I personally have a white Schnauzer, and when he is shaved, his skin is mostly black! My mother was beaten and raped by a black man, and she has come around, If she can come around, I would like to think anyone can. But I DO have one uncle that will not budge, but the rest of my family is behind me 100%. In fact my bi-racial daughter is the Family favorite!

null
ThatGoodnatureGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2004, 05:11 PM   #24
julia s.
I am New

julia s. is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally posted by ThatGoodnatureGirl:
[qb]

I finally think I have my family understanding my point of view on the whole interracial thing. here is how I broke it down to them... You go to the barn to get eggs from the chickens... are you going to pick out all the white eggs, just b/c they are white. After all the brown eggs are supposed to taste the best! ..... Say you work nights, and all the electricity goes out at the job. Are you going to take the first hand that offers to help you out, or are you going to stand there and ask every person if they are black or white, etc. .... We all bleed red. if you needed an organ transplant and the only match was a black man, are you willing to die over your ignorance? ..... last, but not least (believe me I could go on for days) When you are looking for a furry companion, do you buy only white animals? I personally have a white Schnauzer, and when he is shaved, his skin is mostly black! My mother was beaten and raped by a black man, and she has come around, If she can come around, I would like to think anyone can. But I DO have one uncle that will not budge, but the rest of my family is behind me 100%. In fact my bi-racial daughter is the Family favorite!

null[/qb]
julia s. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2004, 05:16 PM   #25
julia s.
I am New

julia s. is an unknown quantity at this point

i think we all must agree on one thing; it was the love that we felt for each other - not the colour of someones skin that brought about these increible children.i have 4 children and a 5th on the way; all are biracial.
the youngest two - whose father is black- are the most beautiful babies i have ever seen.
its not the colour of their skin that the family loves , but them. my husband and i are currently separated- im on #2 now, and i pray that his family will not speak ill of the woman( white) who gave them such precious gifts. some thing are beyond our control. that we teach our children to respect all people is within our grasp.
love knows no colour.

Quote:
Originally posted by julia s.:
[QB][/QB]
julia s. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2004, 01:00 AM   #26
Tucson Superwoman
Board Blazen Parent

Tucson Superwoman is an unknown quantity at this point

For me I don't think race is really an issue with my kids-my eldest is 19 and half black, she has a 3 yr old whos father is black, 3 of my others (the youngest is 5) are half Mexican and one is half El Salvadorian. Now, a few of my kids do look mixed more than the others but like I said its not an issue, I guess cuz we are here in Tucson. I think AZ has a high population of bi-racial people, by many different races. Practically all my kids friends are mixed race too, and Im happy with things as they are because I believe sooner or later there is not going to be any one race here, it may be another 5 decades or so but it will probobly happen. Hey the KKK tried to come here once for a rally and they were ran out of town b4 they could even start! Yeaaa!!! We showed them! And I am proud of my kids and granddaughter and love to show them off.
Tucson Superwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2004, 01:58 PM   #27
Nicky
I am New

Nicky is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
[qb] Thank you so much! That is pretty much how my family responded but it is the outside people I have to deal with more now. My son is 4 months old and i am still hearing stories and racial slurs. How did you deal with it? [/qb]
Nicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2004, 02:02 PM   #28
Nicky
I am New

Nicky is an unknown quantity at this point

I am a mother of 2 bi-racial kids 2 both are white/latino. I havent had any problems with any of it(racial slurs.Maybe it could be the state that I live in too. My family never had a problem with the mixing of races.
Nicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 11:51 PM   #29
mesparza
I am New

mesparza is an unknown quantity at this point

hi. i am a single mother of 2 bi-racial kids, white-hispanic. i am very proud of my kids, and there isan't any where i go, that someone doesn't say, "your kids are beautiful". I have taught my kids to be proud of who they are. At first, my parents had alot of problems with this, but now, they wouldn't take anything for my kids. All they want is for me and my kids to be happy in our lives. Color is only skin deep, right? When i look at all the people in this world, i don't see color, but that is only my thoughts. God bless all of you, be strong, and teach your kids to be proud, of who they are, not what color they are!!!
mesparza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 01:16 PM   #30
damtimsmom
Getting My Feet (Board) Wet

damtimsmom is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't see what is wrong of being proud of your color. I am proud to be white. If I were born black, I'd be proud to be Black. I'm not offended by others who love their color. I would hope they are truly as comfortable in their skin as I am mine. My kids are Mexican/White too. It depends on my mood to which one I claim. My dad readily accepted my news (many moons ago) but I can remember thinking he wouldn't because being white and southern I had been exposed to that mentality year after year...about white daddy's killing (supposedly) or disowning their daughters with mixed kids. But when it happened, he proved he was nobody's carbon copy. My baby ended up getting his first and last name and born 3 days before dad's birthday, I arrived home on dad's birthday with my baby and said "Happy Birthday." Actually, dad drove me to the hospital and then after we got home he got up with my baby every morning while I slept. Racism is one of the most ridiculous forms of hate because it is nonsensical...the shade of skin that covers our meat, bones and holds our organs in...strange huh? I just love people, but racists are people, in my experience, who are weak and ignorant and need someone to put "down" so they can elevate themselves in their own mind's eyes. To downgrade someone means you have self-esteem issues totally.
damtimsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 01:23 PM   #31
damtimsmom

Quote:
[qb] I am a white but my son's father is African American. It took everyone by suprise and a lot of people I know including my family disagree with the mixing of races. How can I help people to see that someones color has nothing to do with loving a beautiful child? Please Help!! [/qb]
Old 01-18-2005, 01:33 PM   #32
damtimsmom

Seeing that you are from Kentucky, you should know racism will forever be a part of the South as long as there is a South. Racism is a mindset passed down from generation to generation within families, just like they pass down farm land, or money, or family furniture, etc. Kids don't learn it in school, on the street, in church, or in public. It is taught behind closed doors by people who are closed minded for a variety of reasons. You see, their pappy's pappy, and so forth and so on. They don't even question the presets passed on. It is a matter of family pride, bloodline heritage, to just stick with the way it was done, was always done, and will always be done. Being a Southerner you had a choice to make. Alienate your family, or go against their heritage. You could have remained different in your views, but once you stepped over the line you lost any chance of being the one to "free their minds." You can't expect someone to listen or believe you or consider what you have to say when in their mind, you lost all credibility when you crossed over. Just as they can't get you to cross over, you neither can get them. Many prejudice people don't frown on colored children, but just as many do. All I can say is, don't waste your son's childhood by grieving for the white folks who are too stupid to accept him...I mean, for God's sakes...you knew that ahead of time. How can you help people to see that someones color has nothing to do with loving a beautiful child? By raising your child to see it that way, and then he'll raise his that way and so forth and so on. You do it the same way racism manages to thrive...by passing it down.
Old 01-25-2005, 02:31 PM   #33
alisha80
I am New

alisha80 is an unknown quantity at this point

Well i am a mother of a bi-racial 6 yr old girl and another one on the way. Now my family said they would disown me and yadda yadda yadda, now!- my father(who was the worst one) would hurt the first person who treated my daugher in any sort of disrespectful manor... Hopefully with time, and closeness your family can overcome this.. If you need to talk im here!!!!
alisha80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2005, 12:22 PM   #34
JaivonsMommy
Board Member

JaivonsMommy is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi my name is Nicole and im a single mother to my beautiful biracial child Jaivon who is half black half white.I know what alot of yous go through with the family drama my grandparents were upset when they found out i was having a mixed child but once they came to see him they fell in love and from him being born it opened their eyes to a whole new world of learning how to love people of other races.But my sons fathers family on the other hand hates the fact that i had a baby with him because i am white and most of them have nothing to do with my son, but hey they are missing out on him, but he has got enough love from everyone else around he will never know the differance.Well here is my son's web page if anyone has time to look at it.if anyone needs to talk feel free to pm me anytime.http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/j/jaivonc/
JaivonsMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2005, 12:22 PM   #35
JaivonsMommy
Board Member

JaivonsMommy is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi my name is Nicole and im a single mother to my beautiful biracial child Jaivon who is half black half white.I know what alot of yous go through with the family drama my grandparents were upset when they found out i was having a mixed child but once they came to see him they fell in love and from him being born it opened their eyes to a whole new world of learning how to love people of other races.But my sons fathers family on the other hand hates the fact that i had a baby with him because i am white and most of them have nothing to do with my son, but hey they are missing out on him, but he has got enough love from everyone else around he will never know the differance.Well here is my son's web page if anyone has time to look at it.if anyone needs to talk feel free to pm me anytime.http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/j/jaivonc/
JaivonsMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2005, 06:44 PM   #36
J3pt44
Parent on Board

J3pt44 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey ya'll.

I don't know how it feels to raise a biracial child, (well my daughter is 1/4 white and 3/4 black but we will never have to go through the scrutiny that ya'll go through because you don't have the same skin color as your children)but I am biracial myself and on top of that I was adopted by white parents. So you can imagine how many stares I got and questions. All the explaining I had to do. And to this day I am still explaining to people why my father is white.
In my area I see more and more biracial children daily, especially with people my age. I think its a great thing. If all people were biracial they we could possible get rid of racism (just a happy thought). Your children won't care what race their parents are, especially their mother. Its always the outside world having judgements. I always say its because they are scared of the power and the fearlessness that some people have to be outside of the norm and to challenge societal views.
J3pt44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 08:39 AM   #37
emilyandbaby
On the Board

emilyandbaby is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally posted by J3pt44:
[qb] Hey ya'll.

I don't know how it feels to raise a biracial child, (well my daughter is 1/4 white and 3/4 black but we will never have to go through the scrutiny that ya'll go through because you don't have the same skin color as your children)but I am biracial myself and on top of that I was adopted by white parents. So you can imagine how many stares I got and questions. All the explaining I had to do. And to this day I am still explaining to people why my father is white.
In my area I see more and more biracial children daily, especially with people my age. I think its a great thing. If all people were biracial they we could possible get rid of racism (just a happy thought). Your children won't care what race their parents are, especially their mother. Its always the outside world having judgements. I always say its because they are scared of the power and the fearlessness that some people have to be outside of the norm and to challenge societal views. [/qb]
And I see you here too. Well judging from the forums we visit I'd say we have a lot in common. Nice to see you again.
emilyandbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 08:58 AM   #38
J3pt44
Parent on Board

J3pt44 is an unknown quantity at this point

feel free to talk to me anytime
J3pt44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 08:55 PM   #39
1Yoyo

1Yoyo is an unknown quantity at this point

I will be having my first child (a son) in about five weeks. He will be/is bi-racial. Honestly, I could care less what anyone else thinks, though my history of dating should have been a heads up for most! LOL I don�t anticipate having any issues with ANY member of my family, if there are any issues, they need to solve them. My son was conceived in love and that�s just the way it is. I will raise him the best way I can. I am black, his father is white. I want him to be respectful of others, no matter the color of anyone�s skin. I say love your kids, don�t make race an issue, and deal with any problems you �might� have as they come.

Yo
1Yoyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 06:01 PM   #40
SpicyChiliPepper

SpicyChiliPepper is an unknown quantity at this point

My son's father is black, my daughter's father is hispanic...I am white. There's alot of iognornace in this world...the best you can do is care for and love your children, and raise them to not be as ignorant as others. That's it in a nutshell for me
SpicyChiliPepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 12:18 PM   #41
Pamella
On the Board

Pamella is an unknown quantity at this point

I think that bi-racial people are just about the most beautiful people in the world!

Everybody who has something to say is just jealous...sucks to be them, eh?
Pamella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 05:20 PM   #42
happydad69
Board Member

happydad69 is an unknown quantity at this point

I am a single father of 2. I am white and the mother is Hispanic and I don't know what the big deal of bi racial kids because I see nothing wrong with my kids do you.
happydad69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 11:39 PM   #43
the sane one
Lively & Zealous Parent

the sane one is an unknown quantity at this point

Hmm. It never even crossed my mind that my child would be considered bi-racial. I am white, and her father is Puerto Rican. (Is she bi-racial? Her father and I both live in America!!)All I know is she is the most beautiful little girl I could have ever had. I know I'm just a little partial.
the sane one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2005, 10:52 PM   #44
1Yoyo

I like that

" It never even crossed my mind that my child would be considered bi-racial. Her father and I both live in America!!"

I can agree with you here, but in the world we live in, it seems we will always be separated by race. BUMMER.

Yo
Old 06-11-2005, 10:52 PM   #45
1Yoyo

I like that

" It never even crossed my mind that my child would be considered bi-racial. Her father and I both live in America!!"

I can agree with you here, but in the world we live in, it seems we will always be separated by race. BUMMER.

Yo