Wild Dancing Thanksgivng Turkey Boy vs Girl Toys - Single Parents Forum: Single Family Voices
All forums, topics and discussions are geared to single parents and the issues faced with single parenting.
Support a single parent today and one will support you back!

Go Back   Single Parents Forum: Single Family Voices >
(``'·.¸(``'·.¸ Single Parenting - Through The Ages¸.·'´´)¸.·'´´)
> Single parents of ALL girls

~ Donate Today ~ PLEASE

Old 09-28-2009, 01:15 AM   #1
SandSMom28 Female
Lively & Zealous Parent

SandSMom28 is an unknown quantity at this point
star Boy vs Girl Toys

So I've been wondering since I have two girls and what is actually appropriate or not more rather when it comes to toys...I buy her all sorts or really whatever she is into (IM SICK OF DORA!!!) but I do at times push other girlie toys on her also...At one time she was into dinosaurs and I let her do that but that has since faded. Her dad likes to give her action figures and trucks and I dont know sometimes this bugs me. He hates the girl toys and never buys her any on his own. The one girl item we agree she cannot have is Bratz dolls. I like them because they have multi-racial and even some bi-racial dolls, but the way they dress is not something I want to encourage for my daughter at all right now. Anyways, I recently bought my oldest daughter a My Little Pony DVD/ pony set and it came with a small pink pony, brush and a ten minute dvd. (This set was 11.99 and the DVD was only ten mins, they dont tell you that on the outside of the box, this ticked me off big time~10 mins? I mean, really?) Anyways, I watched the DVD with her and it was overkill of sparkles, rainbows and the word pink like fifteen million times. I cringed and my eyes burned watching it and my daughter learned the song in like two viewings. So I guess now Im kinda objective to the all girlie stuff thing. IDK maybe Im worrying too much over the wrong thing but does anyone have any thoughts on being gender biased when it comes to play?

P.S. Hope this doesn't offend anyone but has anyone else noticed the Baby Alive dolls and how they are um, anatomically correct? I mean I feel like it's a bit over the top but I wont let her have that either. And she really wanted the boy one too. Uh...no thanks.
SandSMom28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 08:27 AM   #2
SandSMom28 Female
Lively & Zealous Parent

Default Re: Boy vs Girl Toys

Came back to delete this post...but it wont let me. Reading over it again its kinda childish me asking for an opinion on what type of toys should be okay for my daughter. Please ignore this thread. Sorry.
Old 09-28-2009, 08:28 AM   #3
idig Female
SFV JUNKIE!!!

idig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legend

It isn't childish! Just haven't had time to reply. It is a good discussion. Will be interesting to get people's views.
Old 09-28-2009, 08:35 AM   #4
confused1996 Female
Board Beacon Parent

confused1996 has a brilliant futureconfused1996 has a brilliant futureconfused1996 has a brilliant future

I have a boy and at one point my son wanted a Easy bake oven I got it but man was his dad pissed when he found out. Another time he wanted something else girlie from his father point of view but it didnt stop me oh ya it was a girlie movie. Kids will be kids. I must say Im happy he never wanted a barbie. He has alot of action figures and did go to his cousins and play with thous puppy things or where they ponies cant remember. Well that was when he was 9. Now at 13 couldnt be bothered with anything but computer and other games. When they are younger I think they like different things at different times. My sisters new hubby has a mjor dislike for anything army will not let his 4 year old play with anything relating to it. He also hates any kid of game such as computer and such. I was thinking of getting the kid a tank or a big af army men . Just joking.
confused1996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 09:55 AM   #5
alexmichele07 Female
Sparkles & Glitter

alexmichele07 Is Rocken These Boards With Supportalexmichele07 Is Rocken These Boards With Supportalexmichele07 Is Rocken These Boards With Supportalexmichele07 Is Rocken These Boards With Supportalexmichele07 Is Rocken These Boards With Supportalexmichele07 Is Rocken These Boards With Supportalexmichele07 Is Rocken These Boards With Supportalexmichele07 Is Rocken These Boards With Supportalexmichele07 Is Rocken These Boards With Supportalexmichele07 Is Rocken These Boards With Supportalexmichele07 Is Rocken These Boards With Support

My daughter has the boy baby alive doll. It doesn't bother me. She also has a baby brother and knows the difference between boys and girls parts. At this age, their "parts" are not looked at in a sexual way - they have no concept of that. It's just another part of their body.

She also loves Barbies, dress-up, Transformers, and remote control cars.

My son loves baby dolls.

I buy them the toys they want, regardless of the stigma attached to them. I remember being a little girl and wanting so badly to have action figures and race cars, but my mom would never buy them for me. I had no interest in Barbie dolls, and to reaffirm to my mom that I did not want them, I would put them on the grill or tie firecrackers to them or set them on fire.
alexmichele07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 09:58 AM   #6
LSL Female
The blunt one;)

LSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support Legend

Hum.....my daughter was huge into Littlest Pet Shop and American Girl Dolls. Less so Barbie. She has also really liked some boy toys, hot wheels, remote control cars. What I really liked about the American Girl Dolls, is while very expensive, they have charactors and history attached. Each doll is a person in a period of history and the clothes reflect this. They each have their own book as well.

Now it's all about the Wii, DS, and Ipod around our house.
So, enjoy the days of the toys. They end soon.
Old 09-28-2009, 10:08 AM   #7
SandSMom28 Female
Lively & Zealous Parent

Thanx guys for your responses...I wasn't responding in the beginning that way due to no replies...sometimes Im embarrased at the things I worry about with my kids, Im in my mid 20s and at times I am as lost as a pre-teen when it comes to my girls. I just want to do every little thing right y'know. And yeah I wish I could get my tot into Barbie but the only type of "baby" she is willing to play with is anything Dora or Strawberry Shortcake something like that.

And yeah me and my ex hubby are hard core gamers, I have a 360 and PS3 and everytime I get a free moment Im playing a JRPG (japenese rpg) or reading a manga, so I worry about how Im rearing my kids when it comes to toys because Im such a big kid at heart still myself and I dont want to be blindsided about it, but like LSL said enjoy the toy ages cuz they will end soon. Now me and my ex hubby/bff have been arguing (light debating) over how many toys is too many toys...me personally I cant stand to see her play with the same thing for more than one wk, two at the most so every week to week and a half Im buying new toys but he thinks Ive cause what she does now which is playing with a toy and putting it down within two days but I mean don't all kids do that??

AM, you set dolls on fire?! Awesome, .
Old 09-28-2009, 10:12 AM   #8
idig Female
SFV JUNKIE!!!

idig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legend

I think kids go through different stages of liking different things and that is ok. All boys go through wanting to play kitchen, much to many dads dismay!

I have always, within reason, allowed M to play with and learn about whatever interested him. He was major into army for years. It made me uncomfortable in that everyone, including him, talked about his military career. Not something mama liked to think about. But he has grown and his interests have changed.

I agree with you about the bratz dolls. Don't want anything to do with those. But let your daughter chose what she is interested in, IMO. As for anatomically correct babydolls, I personally don't have a problem with that. Better to learn in that way than many others. I don't want my kids having body issues or feeling like something is wrong with our body parts or that they should be secret or mysterious. JMO

---------- Post added at 09:12 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:08 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexmichele07 View Post

I buy them the toys they want, regardless of the stigma attached to them. I remember being a little girl and wanting so badly to have action figures and race cars, but my mom would never buy them for me. I had no interest in Barbie dolls, and to reaffirm to my mom that I did not want them, I would put them on the grill or tie firecrackers to them or set them on fire.
I grew up a total tomboy in a neighborhood full of boys. My GI Joes decapitated many a Barbie of my sisters But I did have babydolls too. I found out the truth about Santa over a Baby Alive. Parents didn't get one early enough, so no Baby Alive for me that Christmas.
Old 09-28-2009, 10:15 AM   #9
SandSMom28 Female
Lively & Zealous Parent

That's a good perspective on the Baby Alive dolls it just kind of threw me when I noticed it but she will have to learn sometime, cant hide it from her forever. Now the Bratz dolls luckily for me she has never took an interest and IDK they just dont sit right with me and with her father not wanting her to have them as well I dont really want to go over his head either. One thing I noticed though is that the educational toys are sooo expensive, and I can only get one of them every two weeks. I guess its because their electronic but I wish they'd make them a lil more affordable (Leap Frog products) for those on a budget but I splurge and get them anyway, but still. Im still really p'oed at that My Little Pony DVD set misleading DVD included. I pay 7.50 for a 1 hour Barney or a 2 hour Dora movie and for 11.99 you can only give me 10 mins...ok im done, .
Old 09-28-2009, 10:31 AM   #10
alexmichele07 Female
Sparkles & Glitter

alexmichele07 Is Rocken These Boards With Supportalexmichele07 Is Rocken These Boards With Supportalexmichele07 Is Rocken These Boards With Supportalexmichele07 Is Rocken These Boards With Supportalexmichele07 Is Rocken These Boards With Supportalexmichele07 Is Rocken These Boards With Supportalexmichele07 Is Rocken These Boards With Supportalexmichele07 Is Rocken These Boards With Supportalexmichele07 Is Rocken These Boards With Supportalexmichele07 Is Rocken These Boards With Supportalexmichele07 Is Rocken These Boards With Support

Toys are overrated.

Give the kid a giant box, scissors, glue and markers, and see how their imagination transforms it into a car, a house, a horse, or a giant robot.

Give a baby a pair of rolled up socks, some plastic mixing spoons, a cullander and some measuring cups, and he's busy for hours.

I think so many toys now take the fun and imagination out of playing. When kids play, they learn. And the more they use their imagination, the more they are thinking.
alexmichele07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 11:53 AM   #11
Dad1st4boys Male
Failure is not an Option.

Dad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of Support
clown Re: Boy vs Girl Toys

Quote:
Toys are overrated.

Give the kid a giant box, scissors, glue and markers, and see how their imagination transforms it into a car, a house, a horse, or a giant robot.

Give a baby a pair of rolled up socks, some plastic mixing spoons, a cullander and some measuring cups, and he's busy for hours.

I think so many toys now take the fun and imagination out of playing. When kids play, they learn. And the more they use their imagination, the more they are thinking.
++1 on too many toys. Give kids an empty refig box and let them be, watch the fun.

My soon 2bX get the boys lots of cheap plastic junk that only lasts a few days. The "toys" my boys seem to enjoy most are a pile of 10' telephone poles and railroad ties I put in the back area. They team up to move them and build forts and stuff. They've been doing that seince the oldest was about 10, he's 16 now and they are setting up paint ball courses now. They love to go down to the creek bed and ride bokes and climb. I limit 'puter time. No electronic games on school nights. #2 son (13yoa) loves to re-build bikes and other stuff. Even their city raised "Girlie-girl" cuz had more fun outdoors.
Dad1st4boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 01:52 PM   #12
Bluemoon Female
just an old hippie chick

Bluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support Legend

I admit it...I am guilty. I got E way too many toys. It's mellowed now that he is all about video games and "earns" new ones...but when he was a baby and a toddler? Oh my!

When he started daycare at 2 yrs. old (1 day per week) , they had a play kitchen set there. He loved it. So, that Christmas I bought him one for at home.
His Dad had a fit! My in-laws didn't say anything to me about it, but they did bombard him with toy tool sets and such that year, .
Personally, I don't think gender specific toys are all that important. Get them what they want if you get them anything at all. (But I admit, I'm glad E didn't want a Barbie...though I probably would have allowed it).

To disagree, one doesn't have to be disagreeable. ~Barry M. Goldwater and Jack Casserly, Goldwater

Life is all about how you handle Plan B. ~ off a Blue Mountain Arts calendar
Bluemoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 02:28 PM   #13
nadee_09 Female
At A loss for Words - NOT!

nadee_09 has a reputation beyond reputenadee_09 has a reputation beyond reputenadee_09 has a reputation beyond reputenadee_09 has a reputation beyond reputenadee_09 has a reputation beyond reputenadee_09 has a reputation beyond reputenadee_09 has a reputation beyond reputenadee_09 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Toys are overrated.

I totally agree with this! Kids can have so much fun with the simplist of things!

---------- Post added at 03:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:24 PM ----------

Quote:
My daughter has the boy baby alive doll.
I seriously did not know you could get boy baby alive dolls! C would love that. She is really into dolls now and every one of them have to go with her for her afternoon nap there is like 20 of them! It works though so I dont mind.

And sands, I am a huge fan of leapfrog and yes they can be very expensive but I do find them worth the extra $ very educational and they seem to be of good quality.
nadee_09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 10:11 PM   #14
dsboyce
On the Board

dsboyce is an unknown quantity at this point

Last year at Christmas I had a big debate with myself. I had been to a friends house, who had a little girl, with C and he had a blast playing with her shopping cart. I knew that if I bought him one that he'd love it, but I really debated whether it was too "girly" or not. I asked the opinion of almost everyone I know, with mixed results. My dad was most definitely against it. Well, I ended up buying it and he does love it. He just likes to have something to push around. He throws all his little cars and trucks in it and pushes them around the house. So, my perspective on this is that it's not that big a deal.

Blue - I have to admit that I probably won't ever allow him to have a Barbie, even if he begs me for it.
dsboyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 12:28 AM   #15
LSL Female
The blunt one;)

LSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support Legend

Too Many Toys = TOT who is spoilt.

Kids will come back and play with toys all the times. A tub or two and you are good. I am big on any kind of clay, play doo, crayons, that kind of stuff so they can let their imagination roll along.

Today my niece had a blast with a plastic tupperware bowl [small, medium, and large} and wooden spoons.