Wild Dancing Thanksgivng Turkey Is this something to be concerned about - Single Parents Forum: Single Family Voices
All forums, topics and discussions are geared to single parents and the issues faced with single parenting.
Support a single parent today and one will support you back!

Go Back   Single Parents Forum: Single Family Voices >
(``'·.¸(``'·.¸ Single Parenting - Through The Ages¸.·'´´)¸.·'´´)
> Single parents of ALL girls

~ Donate Today ~ PLEASE

Old 07-31-2008, 11:33 AM   #1
needforjoy
Active Board Parent

needforjoy is an unknown quantity at this point

My 7 yr. old daughter likes to get the teen magazines (the ones with all the disney kids in it). She only thinks the girls look cute, non of the boys. There's a piece of me that says that's not right (due to what my ex did and who she did it with), but most of me thinks it's normal being her age and not knowing any better and that all she knows right now is that she wants to keep on being a cute girl and looks at these older girls in awe or as something she would like to be. Hard to tell, she's not the type to really talk about that kind of thing, which leads me to believe it's not a concern. She only wants to play, watch tv, be with her friends.

Just bouncing this off those of you that have had girls to check if my sense of normalcy is good.
needforjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 11:53 AM   #2
SingleMomAZ Female
Board Blazen Parent

SingleMomAZ is an unknown quantity at this point

Well, she's only 7 and SHOULDN'T be interested in boys. I teach 2nd graders and am appalled when 1 or 2 of my girls have "boyfriends" and are serious about it! Not appropriate whatsoever.

I wouldn't worry about it too much. She is just being a girl and wanting to grow up to be like them however that could lead to a different issue such as body image.
Old 07-31-2008, 12:11 PM   #3
needforjoy
Active Board Parent

Yeah, she's totally not into liking boys right now, and figure that's normal (and good, whew...).

As for body image concerns, that is something I'm worried about in the future, and try to keep her grounded in the fact that being who she is, is more important than what she looks like.
Old 07-31-2008, 09:58 PM   #4
normajean-sugar Female
board hopless romantic

Location: originally Pa..but Arizona is home is now. Gosh it is beautiful here :)
normajean-sugar is an unknown quantity at this point

I compleatly agree with singlemomaz. I have an 8 yr old who is not interested at all. And I am very glad she isn't. 7 in my opinion is a redicolus age to be having a boyfriend. It irritates me when people think its "cute".
Old 07-31-2008, 10:10 PM   #5
Don Male
At A loss for Words - NOT!

Don will become famous soon enough

No worries, you probably have 2-3 more years before the boys start looking different, or rather they way the girls look at them is different that is.
Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 09:16 AM   #6
paulj_in_phx Male
Back From the Dead..Sorta

paulj_in_phx is a splendid one to beholdpaulj_in_phx is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally posted by normajean-sugar:
I compleatly agree with singlemomaz. I have an 8 yr old who is not interested at all. And I am very glad she isn't. 7 in my opinion is a redicolus age to be having a boyfriend. It irritates me when people think its "cute".
Let me 2nd that...

As the father of now, 4 girls.... your little princess sounds VERY normal. She really shouldnt like boys until...well probably about 9 or so..... Even with that.... my girls are not, and will not be allowed to "date" until 18. Yeah, I know in todays world that sounds Archaic....but it's worked for one....so far is working for a 2nd...and well, we'll keep on going.

Hang in there. You're doing well.
paulj_in_phx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 10:39 AM   #7
needforjoy
Active Board Parent

Paul,

I'm not 100% sure of where I stand yet, but I'm leaning towards waiting until she's 18 also. However, since mom will have a say, and she let her older daughter start dating at 14 ... we'll just see how that goes in 7 years (sigh, not looking forward to that debacle - with the ex that is).
Old 08-01-2008, 10:45 AM   #8
needforjoy
Active Board Parent

Thanks everyone for your feedback. I figured my little girl was on par for normal.

Chris
Old 08-01-2008, 12:20 PM   #9
ALASKA
On the Board

ALASKA is an unknown quantity at this point

Just like everyone else said she is normal. But last school year my daughter had 2 boys ask her to be their girlfriend. Her response was that she couldnt date till she was 42. And they say brainwashing doesn't work
ALASKA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 01:34 PM   #10
needforjoy
Active Board Parent

LOL, I always tell her not until she's 30.
Old 08-01-2008, 02:22 PM   #11
ALASKA
On the Board

ALASKA is an unknown quantity at this point

Thats funny. She asked me a couple weeks ago that if she is good if she could go on a date when she was 30. I told her I would think about it
ALASKA is offline   Reply With Quote