Wild Dancing Thanksgivng Turkey Present for my daughter... - Single Parents Forum: Single Family Voices
All forums, topics and discussions are geared to single parents and the issues faced with single parenting.
Support a single parent today and one will support you back!

Go Back   Single Parents Forum: Single Family Voices >
(``'·.¸(``'·.¸ Single Parenting - Through The Ages¸.·'´´)¸.·'´´)
> Single parents of ALL girls

~ Donate Today ~ PLEASE

Old 12-21-2010, 06:53 AM   #1
specialone Female
I am New

specialone is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Present for my daughter...

hey everyone, my daughter was born on the 2nd of january, so her birthday is soon...
I got her all the things she wants, and I also want to give her a picture of her father (he passed away when i was pregnant)
what do you think?
I actually wanted to giver her a picture of her father and me when I was 7 months pregnant...
I thought It would be nice to put it in a family picture frame

I wanted to know what you thought about that?
She has already seen pictures of him (at her grandmothers) but she shes starting to ask questions, (shes 8) and she wants to know him better.. So I thougt It wouldbe a good I idea to have a picture of him next to her bed..
what do you think?
thanks
specialone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 03:29 PM   #2
blueswan Female
Parent on Board

blueswan will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Present for my daughter...

I don't see any reason for her not to have a picture of her father. When she askd questions, what do you tell her about him?

Knowing her father will help her with her own identity. It sounds like she needs to know she has something of him in her - maybe hair color or a personality trait. She can take pride in it.
blueswan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 04:03 PM   #3
LSL Female
The blunt one;)

LSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support Legend

Sounds appropriate to me.... My ex and I divorced when my daughter was under 2. He has always been sporatic in her life, and absent for about 4 years now. Anyway, my mom made her a scrapbook and in it are pictures of her father, pictures of when I was pregnant with her, and pictures of him holding her when she was born. I think these things are important.
Old 12-28-2010, 11:46 PM   #4
Mama Swan Female
Tree hugger at heart

Mama Swan Has Heart and Soul of an AngelMama Swan Has Heart and Soul of an AngelMama Swan Has Heart and Soul of an AngelMama Swan Has Heart and Soul of an AngelMama Swan Has Heart and Soul of an AngelMama Swan Has Heart and Soul of an AngelMama Swan Has Heart and Soul of an AngelMama Swan Has Heart and Soul of an AngelMama Swan Has Heart and Soul of an AngelMama Swan Has Heart and Soul of an AngelMama Swan Has Heart and Soul of an Angel

I think it's a great gift- and I like the idea of giving her the picture of the two of you when you were pregnant as well- assuming it's a happy picture, it will show her you were happy together at the thought of her coming soon.
I'm sure she has lots of questions about her dad, since she's never known them- in my experience (I work with foster kids)- just because they don't mention it, doesn't mean they aren't thinking about it. Give the chance for openings in the conversation to let her learn about him.
Mama Swan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 08:17 AM   #5
Dad1st4boys Male
Failure is not an Option.

Dad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of Support

Sounds like a great idea. She will, as she gets older want to and need to know about her father, the good and the not so good.
Dad1st4boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 08:25 AM   #6
Jamie's_Mum Female
English & proud

Jamie's_Mum has a reputation beyond reputeJamie's_Mum has a reputation beyond reputeJamie's_Mum has a reputation beyond reputeJamie's_Mum has a reputation beyond reputeJamie's_Mum has a reputation beyond reputeJamie's_Mum has a reputation beyond repute

I think its lovely, my dad died before i turned 2 so i dont remember him, but my mum gave me pictures of him and i treasure them.
Old 01-09-2011, 03:56 AM   #7
gem20kbb Female
Board Blazen Parent

gem20kbb has a reputation beyond reputegem20kbb has a reputation beyond reputegem20kbb has a reputation beyond reputegem20kbb has a reputation beyond reputegem20kbb has a reputation beyond reputegem20kbb has a reputation beyond repute

This is a very thoughtful gift and hope it turned out well! Let us know.
gem20kbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 01:51 AM   #8
BKupperman Female
I am New

BKupperman is an unknown quantity at this point

I think it's a great idea! My father died when I was 7 and anything that had anything to do with him (pictures, personal effects, ect.) were and still are priceless to me. She will always have questions about her father and the more open you are with her, the closer she will feel to him. I don't have alot of personal memories of my father and still ask my mom questions about him. It helps. I think putting a face to the stories and memories you have of her father will make it alot easier for her.
BKupperman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 02:42 PM   #9
pumpkin33 Female
Parent on Board

pumpkin33 is a splendid one to beholdpumpkin33 is a splendid one to behold

I also agree, it's a great idea for her. It's a way to keep his memory alive and for her to learn more about him. Have you thought about making some kind of scrap book with maybe little stories in it. Use a picture that has a great memory with it. Or is that a bit to premature?