Wild Dancing Thanksgivng Turkey mother/daughter issues - Single Parents Forum: Single Family Voices
All forums, topics and discussions are geared to single parents and the issues faced with single parenting.
Support a single parent today and one will support you back!

Go Back   Single Parents Forum: Single Family Voices >
(``'·.¸(``'·.¸ Single Parenting - Through The Ages¸.·'´´)¸.·'´´)
> Single parents of ALL girls

~ Donate Today ~ PLEASE

Old 11-06-2007, 04:45 PM   #1
emmarie0007
I am New

emmarie0007 is an unknown quantity at this point

I am remarried for the last year but I was a single parent for almost 8 years.

I don't know what went wrong. If I could give you one reason I wouldn't know. I'm know I've made a lot of mistakes but I also have done some things well. My own relationship with my mother is very strained at the moment but has been for a long time. I never remember disowning my mother which it seems my almost 19 year old daughter is doing to me.

It started with her seeing older boys at around 16, and then we stopped really talking and then her father involved her in issues that should have been between me and her father, and we stopped talking to the point of no relationship.

So what can I do? She did not want me to go to her high school graduation, but I went any way and gave her money and I have also been sending her cards and and giving money when I can. Any ideas on rebuilding a mother/daughter relationship?
emmarie0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 10:45 AM   #2
Kimmie87
Board Member

Kimmie87 is an unknown quantity at this point

My mother left my family when I was 10 and I havent talked to her since then, so almost 10years.
Keep trying to be involved with her. She will come around, it may be very frusterating for you, but it sounds like she may have some underlying issues that are holding her back. There must be a reason for her to not want you to go to her grad, talk to her dad maybe, it sounds like thats probably the main reason.
Shes an adult now, and she can make her own decisions, hopefully she'll make the right one, beacuse having no mother is hard. Espcialy when it comes to the important moments in life (wedding, babies, etc) She'l want you there, hopefully whenever that is you'l be there to say 'Hi, what took you so long!"
Good Luck
Kimmie87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 09:01 AM   #3
special3
I am New

special3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh, I know your pain. I wish I had the answers. I am going through the same thing with my 12 year old daughter, and I already lost my 14 year old daughter to her father who was never around all of her previous growing up years. I have been a single parent for three years (I remarried after the girls' father abandoned us over 10 years ago for his drugs & drug addicted girlfriend, & they left state). Well, ever since he & she came back into my girls' lives again (about 3 months ago); my oldest daughter moved in with them, & me and my youngest daughter fight constantly over it. I would give anything to know the answer to this one. Just know that you'r not alone, & everyone tells me this will pass and isn't all that abnormal for teen girls (especially when their father has too much input about everything but what we mothers sacrificed for our girls). Good luck and may God help us both be strong until He is ready to bring us through all of this. God how I wish I knew the answer to this, but I know we will soon.
special3 is offline   Reply With Quote