Single Parents Forum: Single Family Voices

Go Back   Single Parents Forum: Single Family Voices >
(``'·.¸(``'·.¸ Tips, Tricks & Ideas ¸.·'´´)¸.·'´´)
> School & Work Life > Campus Single Parents

Notices

View Poll Results: What effects did your post-baccalaureate education have on your child(ren)?
Helped them appreciate education 0 0%
Made them more self-sufficient 0 0%
Exposed them to new environments and knowledge 2 50.00%
They were upset I couldn't give them as much attention 1 25.00%
Not much of an effect 1 25.00%
Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-27-2009, 11:16 AM   #1
meliposa
I am New

meliposa is an unknown quantity at this point

I am doing some informal research to help me make a presentation about challenges single parents face in GRADUATE SCHOOL (Master's degree or higher). Would you like to help? Please answer the questions below. If you want to explain or add extra comments, I'd be happy to read them. The purpose of this is just to help other single parents who are going through the same things!
meliposa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 11:36 AM   #2
YJL279
Pray Until Smthng happens

YJL279 Is Rocken These Boards With SupportYJL279 Is Rocken These Boards With SupportYJL279 Is Rocken These Boards With SupportYJL279 Is Rocken These Boards With SupportYJL279 Is Rocken These Boards With SupportYJL279 Is Rocken These Boards With SupportYJL279 Is Rocken These Boards With SupportYJL279 Is Rocken These Boards With SupportYJL279 Is Rocken These Boards With SupportYJL279 Is Rocken These Boards With SupportYJL279 Is Rocken These Boards With Support

I share an apartment with my mother and she watches the kids while I am in class. Even though I said the kids were upset I could not give them attention, it also shows them the value of hard work.

I have been in school since 1999 with a two year break between the bachelors and the masters I am getting now.

A strong positive mental attitude will create more miracles than any wonder drug. --Patricia Neal

To accomplish great things, we must not only act, but also dream; not only plan, but also believe. --Anatole France
YJL279 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 04:43 PM   #3
LSL
The blunt one;)

LSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support Legend

I was going to do the poll, but one of the questions did not have a correct answer.

Yes, it was hard going back to school as a single parent, but not horrible.

A combination of people cared for my daughter before she was old enough to stay by herself for a couple of hours; she went to a latchkey program, my dad assisted ALOT because he was retired, and I have a great support group of friends that step in as need be.

As for the effect on my daughter, I would have said all of the above. My daughter knows the value of an education. She is more knowledgeable about subjects than other kids her age. But she does resent it at times.
Old 01-28-2009, 08:47 AM   #4
meliposa
I am New

meliposa is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks to YJL279 and Law Student Lisa for your comments. Was it hard for either of you to make the decision to go back to school? Did you ever feel torn between bettering yourself and being more available (and making more $) for your children?
meliposa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 09:21 AM   #5
LSL
The blunt one;)

LSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support Legend

Quote:
Originally posted by meliposa:
Thanks to YJL279 and Law Student Lisa for your comments. Was it hard for either of you to make the decision to go back to school? Did you ever feel torn between bettering yourself and being more available (and making more $) for your children?
Nope.....Was not hard for me at all. I had wanted to be an attorney since I was nine years old. but I got married and pregnant instead. I realized in my late 20's that I was not getting any younger, and that the BEST thing for my child was to go back to school.

I will tell you that she has learned the value of an education. By example she now knows how important a college education is.
Old 01-28-2009, 10:04 AM   #6
YJL279

YJL279 Is Rocken These Boards With SupportYJL279 Is Rocken These Boards With SupportYJL279 Is Rocken These Boards With SupportYJL279 Is Rocken These Boards With SupportYJL279 Is Rocken These Boards With SupportYJL279 Is Rocken These Boards With SupportYJL279 Is Rocken These Boards With SupportYJL279 Is Rocken These Boards With SupportYJL279 Is Rocken These Boards With SupportYJL279 Is Rocken These Boards With SupportYJL279 Is Rocken These Boards With Support

No, it was not difficult for me to decide at all. I obtained a position with the federal government as a student aide and I had to be a student to stay and I was completing the program at the school I was attending at the time. So, I enrolled in college for the associates degree to keep my job until they hired me on permenantly. I think it was more difficult for my mother because my youngest was just a few months old when I started college. LOL!

A strong positive mental attitude will create more miracles than any wonder drug. --Patricia Neal

To accomplish great things, we must not only act, but also dream; not only plan, but also believe. --Anatole France
Old 01-28-2009, 10:05 AM   #7
YJL279

BTW: I have now been with the federal government for 10 years.

Old 01-28-2009, 10:09 AM   #8
LSL
The blunt one;)

Quote:
Originally posted by YJL279:
I think it was more difficult for my mother ..... when I started college. LOL!
, mine too but for different reasons. When I started college, I was working for the family owned business and was second in command. She lost her manager and was quite frank about how disappointed she was. But she came around and now is very, very proud of me!
Old 01-28-2009, 10:24 AM   #9
YJL279

Good for you Lisa! My mom is very proud of me too. I am preparing for the future when my kids are out of college. I want to work in Washington at the Dept of Labor National Office doing something and the Masters degree will help me get there. Good luck in your studies, from the responses you give here you are learning alot!

Old 03-26-2009, 08:10 AM   #10
MotherBoard
Making The Magic Happen
Mother Of The Board

MotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of Support
My children except that college is part of their future. It now not if i go to college but 'when ' i go to college.

I have not had any family help watch the kids when i go, and i had to take a long break after the divorce cause of child care and lack of child support. child care cost was 900 plus for three kids to be watched. I just did not have it.

I waited till the twin where ready for kindergarten. Then i finished up my B.A and began taking classes online for my masters. I just keep plugging away, taking in some semester 1 class.

My youngest, my twins are now 13 years old and in those years, the idea of what they will take in college is always in their minds.

For example: My twins, one wants to be an attorney to help other abused children not go through what he went through with his dad. My other twin whats to be a tech engineer, [i have know idea where he came from] My middle child, wants his medical degree. That he determined that he wanted while rubbing stretch cream on my belly when i was pregnant with my twins. That was 13 years ago and has not wavered from it.
He hates to see anyone in pain. Now he is 16 and thinks that surgery will be his niche.

Now how will i pay for all their college, that is a whole other story...
MotherBoard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 08:47 AM   #11
YJL279

Robin, you can move to GA, the hope scholarship pays for college 100% if you attend a state college. You would just have to pay for books. As far as your son's medical school, I'm sure he would get a full scholarship somewhere. That is why I am staying in GA until the kids are out of college, I don't want to pay for it! LOL!

FL has the hope scholarship too, but it is based on your GPA. My oldest lives in Port Richey with her dad, she got the first 2 years covered at 100% and the second 2 years at 75%. I just have to split the cost of books with her dad right now, the next 2 years will be a little more expensive but I think I can handle it. GOOD LUCK!!!

Old 03-26-2009, 10:13 AM   #12
LSL
The blunt one;)

I have never stopped to think about it, but yes, my daughter talks about when she goes to college---making it a given, not a hope. She informed me about a month ago she was going to be a lawyer. We shall see if she continues to think this way or if she changes her mind 1000 more times.