Single Parents Forum: Single Family Voices

Go Back   Single Parents Forum: Single Family Voices >
(``'·.¸(``'·.¸ Tips, Tricks & Ideas ¸.·'´´)¸.·'´´)
> School & Work Life > Campus Single Parents

Notices

Old 12-09-2009, 12:22 PM   #1
MaxwellsMom
Learning to Surf The Board

MaxwellsMom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Grants, Scholarships, and Loans..Oh My!!

Hi all,

I am currently looking into going back to school. I have found the school now I need information on how to pay for it. Rather than just student loans.

I know there are a number of you that are single parents that work and go to school. I am hoping for some guidance from you. I know that there must be all kinds of loans, grants, and whatnot for a single, minority woman that wants to go back to school. I just have no idea where to start.

Please help with some direction. Thank you guys!!!
MaxwellsMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 01:06 PM   #2
idig
SFV JUNKIE!!!

idig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legend
Default Re: Grants, Scholarships, and Loans..Oh

The first thing is to fill out a FAFSA http://www.fafsa.ed.gov/. LSL might be able to offer some other suggestions too! Good luck!

Sure as night will follow day. Most things I worry about. Never happen anyway. ~ Tom Petty
idig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 01:18 PM   #3
MotherBoard
Making The Magic Happen
Mother Of The Board

MotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of Support

some others to add from our site
http://singleparentsnetwork.com/Shop...ine/index.html
and
articles
http://singleparentsnetwork.com/Arti...ampus_Parents/

and of course we have some goodies through out the forum...
https://www.facebook.com/soloParent
MotherBoard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 01:19 PM   #4
YJL279
Pray Until Smthng happens

YJL279 Is Rocken These Boards With SupportYJL279 Is Rocken These Boards With SupportYJL279 Is Rocken These Boards With SupportYJL279 Is Rocken These Boards With SupportYJL279 Is Rocken These Boards With SupportYJL279 Is Rocken These Boards With SupportYJL279 Is Rocken These Boards With SupportYJL279 Is Rocken These Boards With SupportYJL279 Is Rocken These Boards With SupportYJL279 Is Rocken These Boards With SupportYJL279 Is Rocken These Boards With Support

you can't do anything until you fill out the fafsa, then ask your college for any scholoarships they may offer or know about that you can apply for. good luck! I just completed a masters degree and now between that and my bachelors I owe about 30,000 in student loans. I don't care, I will pay them and it was worth it.

A strong positive mental attitude will create more miracles than any wonder drug. --Patricia Neal

To accomplish great things, we must not only act, but also dream; not only plan, but also believe. --Anatole France
YJL279 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 03:30 PM   #5
snickermel
Parent on Board

snickermel is an unknown quantity at this point

Like everyone else said, do the fafsa first. Be sure to stay in touch with your school financial aid people because they can alert you to the best private scholarships. Here is a list I just found: http://www.blackexcel.org/200-Scholarships.html

Luck!
snickermel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 11:02 PM   #6
LSL
The blunt one;)

LSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support Legend

Okay, every state has a state scholarship site. Here is one for MA: http://www.osfa.mass.edu/default.asp?page=aidPrograms. This is the state's site. Most of them will have a scholarship for single parents returning to school.

I had a full ride to a liberal arts college for undergrad through a grant from a single parent foundation in my state. They are out there. You have to apply early though.......Usually the cut off is 2/28 and some will have personal interviews.

If you have the school, go to the financial aid office and ask them specifically if they know of such program. They likely do and will forward you the information.