Single Parents Forum: Single Family Voices

Go Back   Single Parents Forum: Single Family Voices >
(``'·.¸(``'·.¸ Tips, Tricks & Ideas ¸.·'´´)¸.·'´´)
> School & Work Life > Campus Single Parents

Notices

Old 07-06-2010, 03:56 PM   #1
momofTDR
Marja

momofTDR Is Rocken These Boards With SupportmomofTDR Is Rocken These Boards With SupportmomofTDR Is Rocken These Boards With SupportmomofTDR Is Rocken These Boards With SupportmomofTDR Is Rocken These Boards With SupportmomofTDR Is Rocken These Boards With SupportmomofTDR Is Rocken These Boards With SupportmomofTDR Is Rocken These Boards With SupportmomofTDR Is Rocken These Boards With SupportmomofTDR Is Rocken These Boards With SupportmomofTDR Is Rocken These Boards With Support
Default please help me make a good decision!

My math teacher. I've had nothing but poor interactions with her. I'm going to share an e-mail conversation to give you the history of the issue....

I sent this through the homework program.....it was an "ask your professor" link. Just pay attention to my wording in the first and last paragraphs of this first e-mail, then all the subsequent e-mails. The rest is unimportant.

I'm not quite sure what I am doing wrong on this question, however, I have
done it numerous times and for some reason my finance charge per $100 is
always in between two of them, so the number isn't exactly on the chart. I
wasn't sure if you wanted us to round...or interpolate so I keep trying it
with the exact number I use.

The question was: The cash price for furniture for all rooms of a
three-bed-room house is $5076. The furniture can be financed by paying $2000
down and $191 per month for 18 months. However, instead of making the sixth
payment the borrower decides to pay the remaining balance and terminate the
loan for the furniture.

I figured:
Asking price: $5076
Down payment: $2000 Leaving $3076 as the amount financed.
$191 for 18 months
Total paid including interest was: (191*18)+2000=$5438
Total finance charges paid: 5438-5076=$362
Finance charge per $100: (362/3076)*100=11.76853

There was 11.45 at 14% interest and 11.87 at 14.5% interest. So, I never
could get that to come up right with the chart. Happened several times. If I
used the 11.77 for the formula I got....

u=(kRV)/100+V = ({18-6}*191*11.87)/100+11.87 =
12*191*11.87/111.87 = 243.1933

Total interest of $362-unearned interest of 243.19=$118.81 which would be
the amount of interest saved by paying debt off early.

The payoff amount would be:
191+(12*191)-118.81=$2364.19 as the final payment.

I tried to show all my work here, and explain what I did. I am hoping you
can point out where I went wrong or what I forgot to do....or some other
presumably dumb error I made. Thanks for your help on this one.

Also, not related to this question, but are you familiar with RPN
calculators? I couldn't figure out how to do the logarithm stuff on mine.
The person I know who is familiar with them is out of cell range till
Tuesday. If you know anything about them, I'd appreciate any help with that
as well. I looked in my manual but never could get that question right on
last weeks assignment either. So, I'm sure I had the order of button pushing
wrong.

Thanks,
Marja Slifka
chrimarj@isu.edu or
marjaslifka@eaglemail.csi.edu (I think)

To: "Marja Slifka" <marjaslifka@eaglemail.csi.edu>
Sent: Monday, July 05, 2010 4:50 PM
Subject: RE: Ask My Instructor Question - Section 8.5, Question: 8.5.13

Marja,

When I selected the tab "Help Me with This", the instructions said to use
the interest rate that is closest. Do not interpolate. Use 14.5% as the
APR. (There was no dumb error. The explanation for what to do was given in
the tab mentioned above.)

I am unfamiliar with RPN calculators. I have not heard of them before. Is
it the name of a brand of calculator? If you would come into the Math Lab
they can help you with it. Do you have a flight manual for it? Is it a
scientific calculator.

Professor Meade

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Monday, July 05, 2010 10:58 PM
To: Connie Meade
Subject: Re: Ask My Instructor Question - Section 8.5, Question: 8.5.13

It is a scientific calculator...It's an HP and I have to use it for the
engineering classes I'm in. I'm good with everything on it except the
logarithms. RPN stands for Reverse Polish Notation. They are handy because
they "stack" answers so I can do long drawn out calculations in a very
specific order and not have to re-enter an answer. They operate backwards.
For 4+5 you type in...4 ENTER 5 + I will have to give my dad a call when he
gets back to Idaho and he can help me with it. He's very familiar with them.

I didn't even check the "help me with this" tab. I quit using that one
because all the work you put into a question is irrelevent since it changes
the question when you go back. I always use the example one. Thanks. I'll
keep that in mind for future reference.

Thanks for the help,
Marja

----- Original Message -----
To: "Marja" <chrimarj@isu.edu>
Sent: Tuesday, July 06, 2010 1:15 PM
Subject: RE: Ask My Instructor Question - Section 8.5, Question: 8.5.13

Hi Marja,

HP calculators are very sophisticated, and they are not allowed when you are taking an exam. They are "way beyond" a scientific calculator. Keep this in mind when you take the next exam. No, I am not familiar with Reverse Polish notation.

Have you thought about printing the explanation that is provided with "Help Me with This". That way, the steps to solving the problem are there for you to follow.

Connie

Well, it's about time she use her name instead of Professor Meade!

Ok, my inclination is to e-mail her back that this is a basic scientific calculator, it simply is RPN (a way of button pushing that is backwards). It isn't a graphing calculator, it doesn't store answers, or algebraic equations. It just isn't capable. I refuse to buy a new calculator for her. REFUSE!! This one cost me near $50. I use it fluently. Regular calculators now take me a long time to function right. I am just furious. She seems to be out to get me at every turn I make. I am sooo glad I don't have to go to class to look her in the face cause I don't hide my emotions well at all.

Her paper on calculators says:

A scientific calculator will be required for this class. A scientific calculator is determined b y its ability to handle logarithms (ln, log), exponential functions, (yx, exp) and statistics. A graphing calculator is not needed for this course, however, you may use one. Only TI-83/84 oe TI-83/84 Plus calculators will be allowed and your testing center will clear the memory of these pre and post test.

My calculator doesn't even store things like that (that I know of!). Uggh. She's just got it out for me and that's all there is to it. I am flaming mad.

I could use my calculator on the SAT if I were taking that.

Now I'm even more irritated. I called the colleges (the one I'm attending this summer) testing center...and asked them and they were like...well it depends on the instructor...and she asked what class. She said. Oh, no that's fine. As long as it's not graphing. Fume.....Honestly, I just want to ignore her and if she by chance calls or e-mails my proctor location, I'll wear cargo pants, and not take a calculator....then bring mine in a pocket! Yes, I'm a bit on the disobedient side.

This is the same instructor that said no to my kids' principal proctoring my tests, even though the sheet said a public or private school principal. (meanwhile, my speech instructor is perfectly happy with my choice of a proctor)
momofTDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 04:25 PM   #2
Bluemoon
just an old hippie chick

Bluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support Legend
Default Re: please help me make a good decision!

OK. I have some nerve even wading in here but, well, I DO have some nerve!

HP. As in Hewlett Packard? Isn't that basically just a brand name, like Dell or Compaq...I mean, it's not a type, is it?

As for RPN, according to your description of how it operates, that's what I have. Who knew?

Now, maybe they don't do logarithims (whatever the heck that is) for some reason. IDK.
In that case, then yours wouldn't be suitable for that particular class.

Were I you, I would talk to your Dad. If he can come up with no reason why that calulator would be any less appropriate than a "scientific" one, than I would go over the professors head and try to acertain if there was any legitimate reason why this particular type was not permitted. If not, I would try to acertain if any other students were in the same boat.
Basically, I would fight it if it turned out to be total bs comming from a bitter person...but I would make darn sure I had all my ducks in a row and knew EXACTLY what I was talking about before I threw the first "punch".
A united front with the other students would be helpfull, too...or if you could show she was making this personal and just making ____ up to make things harder on you.

Sorry if I am completely missing the mark here. I tried....
Bluemoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 04:36 PM   #3
lyndz7
Setting New Standards

lyndz7 has a reputation beyond reputelyndz7 has a reputation beyond reputelyndz7 has a reputation beyond reputelyndz7 has a reputation beyond reputelyndz7 has a reputation beyond reputelyndz7 has a reputation beyond repute

PS i would also remove all names from your post.....

with everything else, IDK, the testing centers should be able to tell you. But remember she is your teacher, she may not know what that ones does, but if shes not comfortable with it....she is the teacher.
Old 07-06-2010, 06:45 PM   #4
momofTDR
Marja

momofTDR Is Rocken These Boards With SupportmomofTDR Is Rocken These Boards With SupportmomofTDR Is Rocken These Boards With SupportmomofTDR Is Rocken These Boards With SupportmomofTDR Is Rocken These Boards With SupportmomofTDR Is Rocken These Boards With SupportmomofTDR Is Rocken These Boards With SupportmomofTDR Is Rocken These Boards With SupportmomofTDR Is Rocken These Boards With SupportmomofTDR Is Rocken These Boards With SupportmomofTDR Is Rocken These Boards With Support

I'm not concerned about the names....I have linked to my blog....and my blog has my name in full. But thanks.

---------- Post added at 04:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:16 PM ----------

I'm thinking I'm going to talk to her (e-mail, of course because it's in a different town) and explain that it is a basic scientific calculator. I'll link to it at HP's website. If she still puts up a stink....I'm not certain, but I think I'll call the department head.
momofTDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 06:50 PM   #5
LSL
The blunt one;)

LSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support Legend

The only issue should be whether or not there is any way to program in the information, for cheating purposes. If the calculator is not capable of doing that, it should not matter. I say email her with the link and go over her head if you have to.