Single Parents Forum: Single Family Voices

Go Back   Single Parents Forum: Single Family Voices >
(``'·.¸(``'·.¸ Tips, Tricks & Ideas ¸.·'´´)¸.·'´´)
> School & Work Life > Campus Single Parents

Notices

Old 11-05-2010, 03:52 PM   #1
mommy22
Board Member

mommy22 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default can anyone offer any advice?

so here it is. when i got pregnant i was in a healthcare program but went on bedrest and flunked out. my hardship withdrawel was denied so i basically wasted a semester. anyway i was able to transfer into another program becasue my GPA was still good but after i had my baby i had to move back with my parents and so im currenly driving an hour and a half 5 days a week to school and im also working every weekend. I don't know how to balance everything along with my son. i have to work to pay for childcare , food, and everything he needs plus gas but by the time i get home from clinicals mostly i am exhausted and i have to study but i find myself chasing my boy or just so tired i can move. should i try vitamins or something? I need to find something to get a routine becasue my work is just getting harder and im feeling like im just learning for the test when i need to actually know the stuff to pass my boards and im still going upset about his father and everything. any advice would be helpful
mommy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 04:08 PM   #2
LSL
The blunt one;)

LSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support Legend
Default Re: can anyone offer any advice?

Vitamins are not going to help.

I think you should go and see about adjusting your student loans. When they set your living allowance, they set it as if you are a single person with no dependents. However, you can get loans and assistance to cover the cost of childcare, an increase in the cost of transportation, and even more for rent if you need. Now granted, that means paying more back in the end, but with income assistance repayment loans these days, it still makes it very affordable. I had to do this myself when I was going through law school.
Old 11-05-2010, 10:05 PM   #3
babymama3210
Lively & Zealous Parent

babymama3210 Is Rocken These Boards With Supportbabymama3210 Is Rocken These Boards With Supportbabymama3210 Is Rocken These Boards With Supportbabymama3210 Is Rocken These Boards With Supportbabymama3210 Is Rocken These Boards With Supportbabymama3210 Is Rocken These Boards With Supportbabymama3210 Is Rocken These Boards With Supportbabymama3210 Is Rocken These Boards With Supportbabymama3210 Is Rocken These Boards With Support

What kind of school are you in? Is it nursing school? Just curious, I am an RN and maybe can help with some more accurate advice towards school if that is the kind you are in.
babymama3210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 09:03 PM   #4
mommy22
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by babymama3210 View Post
What kind of school are you in? Is it nursing school? Just curious, I am an RN and maybe can help with some more accurate advice towards school if that is the kind you are in.
Im getting a bachelor respiratory therapy
Old 11-09-2010, 10:20 PM   #5
Re-Mom
Mainiac

Re-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of Support

vitamins are good but they aren't going to help the situation -- oh wouldn't that be nice though! Clearly something needs to change, that's too much to do more than on a short-term basis. Are you already on WIC or any assistance you can get? i'm guessing a small issue with assistance programs will be that you are with your parents. How old is your son? If you don't mind, how old are you?
Re-Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 01:16 PM   #6
mommy22
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Re-Mom View Post
vitamins are good but they aren't going to help the situation -- oh wouldn't that be nice though! Clearly something needs to change, that's too much to do more than on a short-term basis. Are you already on WIC or any assistance you can get? i'm guessing a small issue with assistance programs will be that you are with your parents. How old is your son? If you don't mind, how old are you?
i know i wish, i think im going to take them to get some energy. he just turned 14 months today. i dont mind im 25
Old 11-10-2010, 02:23 PM   #7
babymama3210
Lively & Zealous Parent

babymama3210 Is Rocken These Boards With Supportbabymama3210 Is Rocken These Boards With Supportbabymama3210 Is Rocken These Boards With Supportbabymama3210 Is Rocken These Boards With Supportbabymama3210 Is Rocken These Boards With Supportbabymama3210 Is Rocken These Boards With Supportbabymama3210 Is Rocken These Boards With Supportbabymama3210 Is Rocken These Boards With Supportbabymama3210 Is Rocken These Boards With Support

Sleep is crucial! Make sure you are getting a good nights sleep with no interuptions (I know, extremely hard with a baby!) and at least logging in 8 hours a night. This will help you tremedously with energy and with remembering what you study. Read over your notes right before you go to bed, it is proven that your deep sleep will help commit it to long term memory.

Also, find time to excersise. Even if it is just 20 minutes a day, take a jog around the block (bring baby if you have to, definately can help wear him out too!). Excercise will help give you energy and help your brain to function better and help you deal with stress. It is the best vitamin and drug there is!

You also need to let go of everything in that is taking up your brainspace that you don't need. Things you can't change, you need to let them go. Like dealing with the baby daddy, there is no point in worrying and stressing about him when you can't change anything and have enough going on. You don't need to add on to your stress, you need to pinpoint stressors in your life that you don't need and can let go of them.

What about asking your parents for some help? Maybe make a deal with them where if they watch your son for an hour at night so you can relax and study and not be worrying about him? Or ask other friends or family. It is ok to ask for help. Especially when you are doing so much and working so hard to better yourself for you and your son. Kudos for that, stay strong and you will get through this.
babymama3210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 10:29 PM   #8
pamplemousse
I am New

pamplemousse is an unknown quantity at this point

Is going to school part time an option? Maybe having fewer classes will help.
pamplemousse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 12:34 AM   #9
gem20kbb
Board Blazen Parent

gem20kbb has a reputation beyond reputegem20kbb has a reputation beyond reputegem20kbb has a reputation beyond reputegem20kbb has a reputation beyond reputegem20kbb has a reputation beyond reputegem20kbb has a reputation beyond repute

You will get through this and be happy in the end just try to think of that. I was not single at the time but I had my 2nd child in the middle of my clinicals for Surgical Technology. I went back when he was 3 days old!!! I am so happy today that I finsihed and got through. All great advice I have read for you so far. Keep your chin up!
gem20kbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 08:26 AM   #10
mommy22
Board Member

unfortunately, part time is not an option. when you are in a healthcare program the classes are set and we have to take them in a specific order

gem20kbb, i understand they are 2 girls in my classes that just had babies and they were back at like 2 -4 days old