Single Parents Forum: Single Family Voices

Go Back   Single Parents Forum: Single Family Voices >
(``'·.¸(``'·.¸ Tips, Tricks & Ideas ¸.·'´´)¸.·'´´)
> School & Work Life > Campus Single Parents

Notices

Old 03-05-2011, 02:50 PM   #1
Laylasmom77
I am New

Laylasmom77 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How to get over feeling guilty???

I started going to class in the classroom instead of online because I'm using my veterans benefit. The VA pays for my classes and I receive a housing allowance. I have a 3 year old daughter and an 11 year old son. I work full time and I go to school one night a week from 6pm-10pm. Their dad refuses to watch them while I attend school, everytime I try to excel in life he doesn't want any involvement. So I hired a babysitter I pay her $30 each night. I feel so guilty that I'm leaving my kids to attend school. I feel like the babysitter is probably looking at me saying, this lady is leaving her kids to go to school. Any advice to get past these feelings. My family is not supportive with me attending school, my mom said I should be home taking care of my kids instead of going to school at night.
Laylasmom77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 02:57 PM   #2
Re-Mom
Mainiac

Re-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of Support
Default Re: How to get over feeling guilty???

Feeling guilty? Over doing something to ensure a good life for you and your children? Stop that! I know it is hard, I know they don't get why you are doing it, but they will. sometimes responsible parenting means diong things the kids can't understand and take as you being mean, etc....in the end they'll understand as they mature and honestly, I think it is awesome you are doing this! Keep pushing ahead!

Call me if you need a delivery....

|^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||
|.........WINE TRUCK.........| ||'|";, ___.
|_..._..._______===|=||_|__|..., ] -)
"(@)'(@)"" "''"**|(@)(@)*****''(@)
Re-Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 03:57 PM   #3
LSL
The blunt one;)

LSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support Legend

Hon, stop, just stop now. You are teaching your children a very valuable lesson. This is the thing: I went to school for seven years, from undergard through law school and worked full time. I am the only parent to my child. And you know what? She was more proud of me than anyone I know when I walked across the stage to get my law degree. She also talks about "when" she goes to college, not "if." Don't worry about anything that other people might think. Rock on and know that your kids will think you rock too.
Old 03-05-2011, 04:15 PM   #4
Bluemoon
just an old hippie chick

Bluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support Legend

Oh for......what is the matter with them!

OK, I get the X being a ____, but I'm surprised at your Mom.

You know, there are MILLIONS of Mom's in the world who maybe are marrried, maybe don't even really have to work but they do because it gives them a sense of fuffilment and affords them more luxeries. And because frankly it's often easier to work an outside job than it is to care for children all day.

Then they have "date night" with their husbands. They go on kid free vacations....

No-one is accusing them of neglecting their kids. I'm not saying they should, either....but there's no denying it's self indulgent....which is OK, even good to a point. But.

What I am saying is that you...YOU are a HERO! Stop being so hard on yourself!
You are doing this FOR your kids.

To disagree, one doesn't have to be disagreeable. ~Barry M. Goldwater and Jack Casserly, Goldwater

Life is all about how you handle Plan B. ~ off a Blue Mountain Arts calendar
Bluemoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 12:52 AM   #5
tahquamenonfa
On the Board

tahquamenonfa is an unknown quantity at this point

My parents both went back to school when I was in middle school. I found it frankly inspiring. It was also kind of cool to have my parents doing homework as well.

I take classes and my kids encourage me to do it. I can't imagine who wouldn't. My kids practically kick me out to go do things on my own.

What are you studying?

Tahq
tahquamenonfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 07:36 AM   #6
Jamie's_Mum
English & proud

Jamie's_Mum has a reputation beyond reputeJamie's_Mum has a reputation beyond reputeJamie's_Mum has a reputation beyond reputeJamie's_Mum has a reputation beyond reputeJamie's_Mum has a reputation beyond reputeJamie's_Mum has a reputation beyond repute

I think any single parent who can juggle work, kids AND school is an inspiration. Dont feel guilty about trying to better yourself and your childrens lives. I think what you do is amazing. Your children will grow up knowing that you have to work hard in life, and that is a very valuable lesson, donr listen to the people who try to bring you down.