Wild Dancing Thanksgivng Turkey College Textbooks Inflation Fighting - Single Parents Forum: Single Family Voices
All forums, topics and discussions are geared to single parents and the issues faced with single parenting.
Support a single parent today and one will support you back!

Go Back   Single Parents Forum: Single Family Voices >
(``'·.¸(``'·.¸ Tips, Tricks & Ideas ¸.·'´´)¸.·'´´)
> School & Work Life > Campus Single Parents

Notices

~ Donate Today ~ PLEASE

Old 05-18-2010, 12:31 PM   #1
MotherBoard Female
Making The Magic Happen
Mother Of The Board

MotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of Support
Default College Textbooks Inflation Fighting

College Textbooks

Radu Razvan/istockphoto

The Rip-Off: Textbooks cost the average American student about $900 per year. New editions often come out every three years and tend to run 45% more than used copies of previous editions. Between 1995 and 2004 textbook prices rose at more than four times the rate of inflation, according to Nicole Allen, a director at Student Public Interest Research Group, a student advocacy group. "Students are a captive audience since professors decide what books they need to buy," says Allen.
How to Avoid It: Sites like ecampus.com and alibris.com offer better deals than campus bookstores. Then there's chegg.com, a textbook rental site with an approach similar to that of Netflix (NFLX - News).
--Helen Coster
https://www.facebook.com/soloParent
MotherBoard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 12:38 PM   #2
momofTDR Female
Marja

momofTDR Is Rocken These Boards With SupportmomofTDR Is Rocken These Boards With SupportmomofTDR Is Rocken These Boards With SupportmomofTDR Is Rocken These Boards With SupportmomofTDR Is Rocken These Boards With SupportmomofTDR Is Rocken These Boards With SupportmomofTDR Is Rocken These Boards With SupportmomofTDR Is Rocken These Boards With SupportmomofTDR Is Rocken These Boards With SupportmomofTDR Is Rocken These Boards With SupportmomofTDR Is Rocken These Boards With Support
Default Re: College Textbooks Inflation Fighting

I spent about $650 last year on books...and one of my books I used both semesters. I have bought all my books online cheaper than the bookstore. half.com and amazon marketplace have been great places for me to find them cheaper.

I did however have to buy a sociology book, assembled by my professor, published and sold for $73. No other options and it was impossible to find it used. Uggh. Still have it, can't sell it.
momofTDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 02:33 PM   #3
LSL Female
The blunt one;)

LSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support Legend

This was alwasy frustrating for me as well.......I was able to get mine online for cheaper as well. Textbooks.com was another good resource, but mostly Amazon was were I found the best deals. I looke at renting the books...but for me, I write in the margins and highlight, you cannot do that in rental books. And the rental fees ended up being only marginally cheaper than amazon.
Old 06-15-2011, 12:04 PM   #4
Cordero Male
I am New

Cordero is an unknown quantity at this point

I had the same issue when i was moving my son into college for his first year. We purchased all of his textbooks first semester from the school store right on campus. $875.00 later i vowed to never make the same mistake. Second semester we tried renting the books and ran into the same issues mentioned above. Recently we have been searching for websites where we can get the best deals on his books and apartment furnature without having tons of tabs up to compare prices, and we finally came up with an option. At the end of the summer sometime in August, just in time for school, this company is launching a website called doUdeal.com. This is an all college student based site where they can buy, sell and trade anything! I know a big feature will be textbooks. The best part is the fact that students are dealing with each other and if there isn't something that fits their price range the site also generates a list of local businesses and retailers that have the item they need. My boy is really excited about it and has been telling me its perfect for students of any year. As long as they have a ".edu" email address they will be able to access all of the features of the website.
Cordero is offline   Reply With Quote