Single Parents Forum: Single Family Voices

Go Back   Single Parents Forum: Single Family Voices >
(``'·.¸(``'·.¸ Tips, Tricks & Ideas ¸.·'´´)¸.·'´´)
> School & Work Life > Campus Single Parents

Notices

Old 05-08-2012, 11:41 AM   #1
kels
I am New

kels is an unknown quantity at this point
humm online classes?

Hi, I'm new here. I have a 5 year old and 9 month old and I'm looking into taking some online classes so I can get a good job, but I'm having trouble figuring out where to start. Have any of you taken online classes? How did they work out for you and where did you take them? What programs are good? Any feedback like that would be really helpful.
kels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 05:51 PM   #2
bluewave
At A loss for Words - NOT!

bluewave Has a SFV Diamond Heart of Supportbluewave Has a SFV Diamond Heart of Supportbluewave Has a SFV Diamond Heart of Supportbluewave Has a SFV Diamond Heart of Supportbluewave Has a SFV Diamond Heart of Supportbluewave Has a SFV Diamond Heart of Supportbluewave Has a SFV Diamond Heart of Supportbluewave Has a SFV Diamond Heart of Supportbluewave Has a SFV Diamond Heart of Supportbluewave Has a SFV Diamond Heart of Supportbluewave Has a SFV Diamond Heart of Support
Default Re: online classes?

Dear Kels, it depends on what kind of program you're in. Also, depends on the school.

I think there are a lot of shady "online-only" schools out there that are out to make a buck, rather than focus on the student's best interests. I am not knocking all "for-profit" programs, but often they are more expensive, and promise things that they don't deliver. I'm not warning you to stay away from them entirely, but just be careful, and do your homework on what kind of jobs their graduates get. Also, if you approach them, please be aware of how aggressive the admissions counselors are. If they seem to say yes to just about everything you ask, or if you feel pressured in any way, those would be red flags.

It might be a more quality investment to look into more traditional/state universities that have online courses included. They cost less than for-profits, and usually have a more stable reputation.

Good luck!!

p.s. Truth be told, I found that online courses took up way more time than in person courses, but that's just me!!!
bluewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 07:39 AM   #3
kels
I am New

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind
Old 05-09-2012, 01:34 PM   #4
LSL
The blunt one;)

LSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support Legend

Some online colleges are not worth the paper they are written on. Places like Kaplan, Walden, and University of Phoenix......

I went to my local community college for the first 2 years and was able to take a good portion of my classes online. I hold a degree in Political Science. I then went onto law school and now have a JD. Obviously not all of that was online.

What I found was that the bigger colleges in state had daycare programs. I started school when my daughter was in kindergarten, so she was in school for a few hours and then in daycare. I also worked 30 hours a week or more while getting my undergraduate degree.

It can be done. check out some of your local community colleges.
Old 05-09-2012, 05:39 PM   #5
MotherBoard
Making The Magic Happen
Mother Of The Board

MotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of Support

Good luck in your search, a good program and place to start, is as mentioned above, check out your local colleges and talk with advisers, they will know you local programs that would suit you and that are in demand.

I moved this to the Campus Single Parents for better exposer, you can look through the threads in this category too.

Good Luck, and I think that self discipline is also a big necessity, with any schooling, and more so with on line.
https://www.facebook.com/soloParent
MotherBoard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 08:56 PM   #6
kels
I am New

I guess my problem is that I'm looking for a quick fix, maybe a certification or something. Thanks so much for the feedback guys
Old 05-09-2012, 10:46 PM   #7
LSL
The blunt one;)

LSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support Legend

Lots of local community colleges have certifications. There is where I would start my search. You want something that employers will look at and say, "Yeah, that's good. Reputable. Alumni from there rock."
Old 05-10-2012, 10:21 AM   #8
cf829
At A loss for Words - NOT!

cf829 Has Heart and Soul of an Angelcf829 Has Heart and Soul of an Angelcf829 Has Heart and Soul of an Angelcf829 Has Heart and Soul of an Angelcf829 Has Heart and Soul of an Angelcf829 Has Heart and Soul of an Angelcf829 Has Heart and Soul of an Angelcf829 Has Heart and Soul of an Angelcf829 Has Heart and Soul of an Angelcf829 Has Heart and Soul of an Angelcf829 Has Heart and Soul of an Angel

There are also a lot of regular schools that offer a lot of online classes. I am going to the University of Cincinnati and I managed to take the first year of classes online.
cf829 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 08:48 AM   #9
Anne Rose
Learning to Surf The Board

Anne Rose is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm not sure exactly what field you want to go into, but I do know that if you are interested in Nursing, there are numerous online courses you can do that are accredited.
Anne Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 03:00 PM   #10
patriciajames
Learning to Surf The Board

patriciajames will become famous soon enough

I keep thinking about taking online classes too, but part of me craves the interactions I would have by actually going to school (I am a little starved for adult interactions!). But online classes seem so easy for a person like myself who has limited time, then I would not have to commute. I liked the post by the gal that is going to U of Cincinnati and was able to take her 1st year classes online. Lucky you - you are still part of an institution and have the option to take "real" classes vs just online.
patriciajames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 04:41 PM   #11
meganut13
Active Board Parent

meganut13 Is Rocken These Boards With Supportmeganut13 Is Rocken These Boards With Supportmeganut13 Is Rocken These Boards With Supportmeganut13 Is Rocken These Boards With Supportmeganut13 Is Rocken These Boards With Supportmeganut13 Is Rocken These Boards With Supportmeganut13 Is Rocken These Boards With Supportmeganut13 Is Rocken These Boards With Supportmeganut13 Is Rocken These Boards With Support

Just to ditto above advice

Local university has an award winning child care center...

Local community college is cheap, reputable, and also offers its own fair share of on-line classes.

I am like you - I do better in an actual classroom. However, I did take some basic computer skill classes online...like Microsoft Office is a real basic skill to know, including the Excel part of that. Quickbooks (getting into bookkeeping) and a few other accounting class...my Quickbooks teacher was an accountant and suggested a few other courses before hanging out a sign for bookkeeping. I did not go that route (am NOT a numbers person) but everything else about it was appealing...I am a self-starter...could have easily gathered up individual jobs to do mostly at home...decent pay. With some skill there...can get really good jobs.

Do a bit of googling...whatever local colleges are around...see what resources they have. Also, can check out onet or something like that...branch of Bureau of Labor Statistics and shows market trends for diff. types of employment and which schools offer training for that.
meganut13 is offline   Reply With Quote